F13: The Community » Discussion » Recent & Upcoming Films

Coens want to remake "Rooster Cogburn?"

Recent & Upcoming Films Chat about recently released and upcoming films...

Old 02-18-2011, 06:45 AM   #1
The Tall Man
Crazier Than Thou
Deranged Psychopath

Default Coens want to remake "Rooster Cogburn?"

http://tomsmovies.blogspot.com/2011/...-bulletin.html

Quote:
Today, in a live web-chat on www.empireonline.com, Ethan Coen (one half of the revered Coen Brothers duo, who have directed such films as Fargo, The Big Lebowski and Best Picture 2008 No Country for Old Men) announced that a sequel to their recently released Oscar-nominated picture True Grit is currently in the pipeline.

The film will be a direct remake of the sequel to the original True Grit (1969), which was titled Rooster Cogburn (1975). As of yet, it has not been announced which members of the cast will be returning, though it is worth noting only the character of Rooster (John Wayne/Jeff Bridges) was in both original films. The lead actress in the film was Katherine Hepburn, who played Eula Goodnight, Coen stated that they had identified Cate Blanchett (Benjamin Button, The Lord of the Rings trilogy) for this part, and that currently they were negotiating with her people.

While a release date is a long way from being even speculated on, it is worth noting that the Coen Brothers have several other projects currently on the go, including a remake of the 1966 crime thriller Gambit, which starred Michael Caine, Colin Firth has been cast in the lead role.
Ha, having watched "Rooster Cogburn" JUST today, I was actually thinking who would be Katharine Hepburn in a remake. I came to the conclusion of the team of Jeff Bridges and Helen Mirren.

So I guess the Coens have fallen into a remake sink trap? Could be interesting. Could suck.

T.M., Esq.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:04 AM   #2
Cody
strikes like Thunderball
Forum Staff

Default Re: Coens want to remake "Rooster Cogburn"

Here's the chat.

The Rooster reference:

Quote:
James Barrett says: Is there a possibility that you may remake the sequel to True Grit (Rooster Cogburn, 1975) in the future?
Yes, if we can get Cate Blanchett to do the Katharine Hepburn part. We're in negotiations with her people.
I'm not sure it's a serious answer, they say the same thing later:

Quote:
Finkblot says: Joel, have you considered working with Sam Raimi once again? Hudsucker Proxy was a revelation, and Crimewave was insane!
No, Sam's too busy. We're game. We're in negotiations with his people.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:08 PM   #3
The Dream Master
Cheap Seed
Forum Staff

Sounds like The Coens are being their usual selves and taking the piss out of someone. I doubt they're going to do Rooster Cogburn.

Oh, the Horror! - All Decades, All Sub-Genres!

Balls Academy - Your Alma mater for teen films, raunchy, low-brow comedies, sexploitation & coming of age dramas.
EFilmCritic - reviews of everything else
The Dream Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:11 PM   #4
WesReviews
*sniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiff*
Deranged Psychopath

Yep. I took it as a joke, just like the alleged "horror movie" they're working on.

Believe it when I see it.
An evil old house, the kind some people call haunted, is like an undiscovered country waiting to be explored. Hill House had stood for 90 years and might stand for 90 more. Silence lay steadily against the wood and stone of Hill House, and whatever walked there... walked alone.
WesReviews is offline   Reply With Quote