TV & Films Talk about your favorite shows and films.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:51 PM   #451
Darth Sinister
Supreme Badass!
Deranged Psychopath

Default Re: Star Wars

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesReviews
Can't remember if this has been asked before, but are The Ewok Adventure and Ewoks: Battle for Endor considered canon? EU? Or something else entirely?
Yes. If I remember, they take place around the time of the OT, prior to TESB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natman
Is the Holiday Special canon? That's the big question right there.
Yes and no. The cartoon short is canon. The concept of going to Kashyyyk to visit Chewie's family and his family as a whole, are canon. They were referenced in "The Black Fleet Crisis Trilogy", "The Han Solo Trilogy" and "Chewbacca". His son would reappear towards the end of "The New Jedi Order". The owner of the Cantina bar was referenced in post ANH stories. The singing and dancing numbers are not part of the lore.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:26 AM   #452
The Dream Master
Cheap Seed
Forum Staff

Everything mentioned here should be shot out of a cannon, that's for sure.

Oh, the Horror! - All Decades, All Sub-Genres!

Balls Academy - Your Alma mater for teen films, raunchy, low-brow comedies, sexploitation & coming of age dramas.
EFilmCritic - reviews of everything else
The Dream Master is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked By:
Old 02-15-2013, 06:49 PM   #453
Chex
We're all connected...
Deranged Psychopath

I'm getting this feeling that DM does not care for the EU material. I dunno. Call it a hunch.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:07 PM   #454
WesReviews
*sniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiff*
Deranged Psychopath

WesReviews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:32 PM   #455
The One and Only
Deranged Psychopath

^Prepare to fire giant boob nipple gun.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:05 PM   #456
The Dream Master
Cheap Seed
Forum Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chex View Post
I'm getting this feeling that DM does not care for the EU material. I dunno. Call it a hunch.
I actually like some of the video games, but only on a level of dumb fun. Like Shadows of the Empire--fun game, lots of nostalgia attached to it, but people who want to see it adapted into a movie are nuts. It's extraneous from a narrative standpoint (which makes it a perfect candidate for a game).

There were also some prequel novels that were alright; I dunno, my beef is mostly with the fact that the EU still wants to revolve around the same 8 assholes in the galaxy, especially post-ROTJ. A cloned Emperor? An evil Luke (named Luuke, for fuck's sake)? That stuff was cool when I was in 7th grade, but I just wanna hide under the bed when I read some of it now.

Balls Academy - Your Alma mater for teen films, raunchy, low-brow comedies, sexploitation & coming of age dramas.
Liked By:
Old 02-15-2013, 09:11 PM   #457
WesReviews
Deranged Psychopath

Liked By:
Old 02-15-2013, 10:10 PM   #458
Darth Sinister
Supreme Badass!
Deranged Psychopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dream Master View Post
I actually like some of the video games, but only on a level of dumb fun. Like Shadows of the Empire--fun game, lots of nostalgia attached to it, but people who want to see it adapted into a movie are nuts. It's extraneous from a narrative standpoint (which makes it a perfect candidate for a game).
To be fair, it was the first multimedia project that was set during the films. So it has a lot going for it in that regard. It was the first "film without a film". All the merchandising and tie-ins that would be found in a film, minus that one key item. It served as the dry run for the 2003-2005 multimedia project for the Clone Wars.

Quote:
There were also some prequel novels that were alright; I dunno, my beef is mostly with the fact that the EU still wants to revolve around the same 8 assholes in the galaxy, especially post-ROTJ. A cloned Emperor? An evil Luke (named Luuke, for fuck's sake)? That stuff was cool when I was in 7th grade, but I just wanna hide under the bed when I read some of it now.
That's the fault of Del Rey and Lucas Books wanting to play it safe with the OT characters. "Young Jedi Knights" and "Junior Jedi Knights" were supposed to be the starting point in the next generation era. That's why the final book in YJK, "Crisis At Crystal Reef" had the passing of the torch feeling and even recreated the tonality of the ending to ANH. You could essentially hear "The Throne Room"/"End Credits" playing in your head as you read those final pages.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:04 PM   #459
-=D7=-
Rated R
Slayer of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesReviews View Post
Fake Tits FTL
-=D7=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:17 AM   #460
Chex
We're all connected...
Deranged Psychopath

Quote:
Fake Tits FTL
That's not CGI.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:35 PM   #461
WesReviews
Deranged Psychopath

An evil old house, the kind some people call haunted, is like an undiscovered country waiting to be explored. Hill House had stood for 90 years and might stand for 90 more. Silence lay steadily against the wood and stone of Hill House, and whatever walked there... walked alone.
Liked By:
Old 03-07-2013, 03:50 PM   #462
WesReviews
Deranged Psychopath

An inside look at how the Disney deal went down, from Bloomberg Businessweek.

Quote:
Bloomberg Businessweek’s new cover story, “How Disney Bought Lucasfilm—and Its Plans for 'Star Wars',” contains behind-the-scenes details on the $4.4 billion deal. The feature by Bloomberg Businessweek staff writer Devin Leonard is onbusinessweek.com now at http://buswk.co/DisneyStarWars. The cover image, which features R2-D2 and Mickey Mouse, reads “Love at First Bleep,” and is below.

Bob Iger wants to secure Disney’s creative and competitive future at a time when consumers are inundated with entertainment choices, and Lucasfilm fits in perfectly with his strategy to acquire companies, such as Pixar and Marvel, which are capable of driving all of Disney’s businesses, from movies and television shows to theme parks, toys, and beyond. Lucas’s needs in this deal were more emotional. At 68, he was ready to retire and escape from the imaginary world he created—but has found that letting go is more difficult than he had anticipated.

Devin Leonard details how Lucas deeply respects what Iger has done with other corporate purchases – keeping the creative team in place and maintaining the culture. But Lucas still had his reservations and was reluctant to hand over scripts for the upcoming Star Wars trilogy to Disney until late in negotiations. In the story Iger makes it clear that Lucas’s advice will be welcomed going forward – Lucas has attended story meetings for the new Star Wars film – but that Disney, not Lucasfilm, would have final say over any future movies. Lucas also says which members of the original cast will appear in Episode VII, and Kathleen Kennedy discusses becoming President of Lucasfilms.

From the story:

*“Asked whether members of the original Star Wars cast will appear in Episode VII and if he called them before the deal closed to keep them informed, Lucas says, ‘We had already signed Mark and Carrie and Harrison—or we were pretty much in final stages of negotiation. So I called them to say, ‘Look, this is what’s going on.’ He pauses. ‘Maybe I’m not supposed to say that. I think they want to announce that with some big whoop-de-do, but we were negotiating with them.’”

*”In May 2011 Iger met Lucas for breakfast at the Hollywood Brown Derby, one of Disney World’s restaurants…Iger inquired whether Lucas would ever consider selling his company. Lucas replied that he’d recently celebrated his 67th birthday and was starting to think seriously about retiring… ‘I’m not ready to pursue that now,’ he told Iger. ‘But when I am, I’d love to talk.’”

*Pablo Hidalgo, founding member of the Star Wars Fan Boy Association, who is now a “brand communication manager” at Lucasfilm gave Disney a tour of the Holocron which “lists 17,000 characters in the Star Wars universe inhabiting several thousand planets over a span of 20,000 years.”

*Alan Horn, chairman of Walt Disney Studios: “We needed to have an understanding that if we acquire the company, despite tons of collegial conversations and collaboration, at the end of the day, we have to be the ones who sign off on whatever the plans are.”

*“At first Lucas wouldn’t even turn over his rough sketches of the next three Star Warsfilms. When Disney executives asked to see them, he assured them they would be great and said they should just trust him… Once Lucas got assurances from Disney in writing about the broad outlines of the deal, he agreed to turn over the treatments—but insisted they could only be read by Horn and Kevin Mayer, Disney’s executive vice president for corporate strategy. ‘We promised,’ says Iger. ‘We had to sign an agreement.’”

*“At the end of October, Iger arranged for Lucas to fly down to Disney’s Burbank headquarters and sign the papers. He thought Lucas seemed melancholy. ‘When he put that pen to the piece of paper, I didn’t detect a hesitation,’ Iger says. ‘But I did detect there was a lot of emotion. He was saying goodbye.’”

*“The day after the deal closed [Iger] went trick-or-treating with his family. ‘I was Darth Vader,’ he says.
So am I correct in assuming based on that, that a sequel trilogy was already being planned, prior to the Disney buy? Bet 20th Century Fox is all WTF MAN!!!

Hamill, Ford, and Fisher were already signed before the deal? Interesting.
An evil old house, the kind some people call haunted, is like an undiscovered country waiting to be explored. Hill House had stood for 90 years and might stand for 90 more. Silence lay steadily against the wood and stone of Hill House, and whatever walked there... walked alone.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:02 AM   #463
Darth Sinister
Supreme Badass!
Deranged Psychopath

Sounds like that was the case concerning the ST. Lucas was probably hesitant about going forward before the deal, since he was unsure if he wanted to commit another ten years to the project or not.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:21 AM   #464
The Dream Master
Cheap Seed
Forum Staff

I'm inclined to believe it was more of a concurrent thing. While I'm sure Lucas always had some vague notes scrawled away about the sequels, I'm guessing he didn't become super serious about them until Disney came calling. It would have been the ultimate leveraging chip in this particular bargain, especially if Lucas could coax Hamill, Fisher, and Ford to come back. After all, a few years ago, Lucas was adamant that there was no story left...I guess $4 billion will change that tune pretty quickly.

Heh, actually, the article pretty much confirms that:

Quote:
‘Well, I’ve got to build this company up so it functions without me, and we need to do something to make it attractive.’ So I said, ‘Well, let’s just do these movies.’ ”

Old 03-11-2013, 05:45 PM   #465
Freddy Krueger
Dark Lord of the Sith
Slayer of Evil

Clone Wars Canceled, Detours Postponed

Quote:
Lucasfilm announced today that Star Wars: The Clone Wars is ending and that a new series is in development. The company also states that the proposed Star Wars Detours will be pushed back. Here's the statement:

As we enter into an exciting new era focused on the next Star Wars trilogy, Lucasfilm has decided to pursue a new direction in animated programming. We are exploring a whole new Star Wars series set in a time period previously untouched in Star Wars films or television programming. You can expect more details in the months to come.

As part of this shift, we have also made some key decisions affecting Star Wars: The Clone Wars and Star Wars Detours.

After five highly successful and critically acclaimed seasons of Star Wars: The Clone Wars, we feel the time has come to wind down the series. While the studio is no longer producing new episodes for Cartoon Network, we're continuing production on new Clone Wars story arcs that promise to be some of the most thrilling adventures ever seen. Stay tuned for more information on where fans can soon find this bonus content. In the video below, Supervising Director Dave Filoni offers a peek of what is to come in Star Wars: The Clone Wars.

At Star Wars Celebration VI last year, George Lucas gave fans a glimpse at the animated comedy series Star Wars Detours from Seth Green, Matthew Senreich, and Todd Grimes. Detours was conceived and produced before we decided to move forward with the new Star Wars trilogy, and in the wake of that decision, Lucasfilm has reconsidered whether launching an animated comedy prior to the launch of Episode VII makes sense. As a result, we've decided to postpone the release of Detours until a later date.

We are incredibly proud of the teams at Lucasfilm Animation for creating some of the most amazing animation ever produced for TV.
Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnew...jHGOEhiaTzq.99
So it sounds like The Clone Wars will get to wrap up in some format, at least. I've personally only caught bits and pieces, and with things like Maul coming back, I'm glad I didn't get caught up with it. But I do feel for fans of the show. I just hope Disney isn't doing this in hopes of sweeping the Prequel era under the rug. They're just going to alienate a big portion of the fan base by going that route.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:13 PM   #466
WesReviews
Deranged Psychopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy Krueger View Post
I just hope Disney isn't doing this in hopes of sweeping the Prequel era under the rug. They're just going to alienate a big portion of the fan base by going that route.
I dunno. Sometimes, I wouldn't entirely object to Steve Miner directing Episode VIII.

ADDED:
LucasArts 'Star Wars 1313' Game May Be “On Hold”

Quote:
After a successful showing at E3 2012, we haven’t seen much from Star Wars 1313. Unfortunately, as Kotaku reports, it seems that could be because it has been placed on hold.

Previously, LucasArts had stated that the Disney buyout wouldn’t affect 1313, but sources tell Kotaku that the project has been on hold since the entertainment giant’s purchase. Instead,”the focus is on the new trilogy, not on material that is unrelated to the planned JJ Abrams-directed Star Wars: Episode VII."

Now, 1313 has been rumored to be coming to current generation consoles, but if this delay is true, it can be expected that its launch date will be pushed well into the next generation’s launch window. For a game that (allegedly) looks as good as Star Wars 1313, it might be advantageous to wait until more powerful hardware is available.

Last edited by WesReviews; 03-11-2013 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Double Post Merged
Old 03-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #467
HalloweenHorror
^ the next big thing
Brainless Victim

Detours should still come out. It's brilliant so far from what I've seen and it shouldn't interfere with the sequel trilogy.
Harry Potter(books): 6,7,4,5,3,1,2 Harry Potter(films): 6,7b,1,3,4,7a,5,2
HalloweenHorror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:32 PM   #468
Biosynthnut v.2
Who I am is not important...
Deranged Psychopath

FU14-qjqybQ

1.They better close out the series some how (DTV would be fine by me).
2. Disney don't fuck this up.
3. I was wondering what was going on with Detours( just put it out, new films or not).
4. Disney don't fuck this up.
5. New series? Old Republic stuff please.
6. Disney don't fuck this up.

/rant.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:43 AM   #469
Darth Reaper
Evil Overlord

I don't know what the future holds for Ahsoka Tano, but based on what I saw of her last I think it would be cool if they end the series with a story that takes place after Episode 3, in which Darth Vader encounters Ahsoka one last time during The Great Jedi Purge.
Darth Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:01 AM   #470
Biosynthnut v.2
Deranged Psychopath

CVYHue20GC0

Once more the Sith will Rule the Galaxy.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:08 PM   #471
WesReviews
Deranged Psychopath

George Lucas' Original Star Wars Screenplay WIll Be Adapted By Dark Horse Comics
Old 04-02-2013, 12:06 AM   #472
The One and Only
Deranged Psychopath

Lego pulls STAR WARS toy set because whiney Muslims think it resembles one of their buildings.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:43 PM   #473
WesReviews
Deranged Psychopath

R.I.P. Star Wars: 1313.

Disney Closes LucasArts, Laying Off All 150 Employees / Star Wars: First Assault and Star Wars: 1313 Cancelled

Quote:
Game Informer has learned that Disney is closing its LucasArts game publishing subsidiary. We received an email from a LucasArts representative confirming the news.

The official statement from Disney (which recently acquired LucasFilm and LucasArts) reads as follows:

"After evaluating our position in the games market, we've decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimizing the company's risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games. As a result of this change, we've had layoffs across the organization. We are incredibly appreciative and proud of the talented teams who have been developing our new titles."

In some ways, the news is not a surprise. LucasArts had seemed directionless in recent years. The company's core business of games based on the Star Wars license have been largely disappointing in both quality and sales. While the company had some success with games like Star Wars: The Force Unleashed and the Battlefront series, both of those franchises seemed to have died on the vine. The cancellation of Star Wars Battlefront III was particularly ugly, which led to nasty public fingerpointing between LucasArts and developer Free Radical. The BioWare developed MMORPG Star Wars: The Old Republic (which was co-published with EA) won strong reviews but failed to maintain subscribers, and was eventually forced into instituting a free-to-play business model.

LucasArt's other big franchise, Indiana Jones, has failed to make much of a dent in games in recent years, with the exception of Traveller's Tales LEGO Indiana Jones series that, once again, was not developed by LucasArts. Meanwhile, series like Uncharted and Tomb Raider, which are both heavily influenced by the Indiana Jones films, have thrived.

More recently, LucasArts caused a stir at E3 2012 with an impressive looking demo for a new Star Wars project entitled Star Wars 1313. However, in the months that followed, the project seemed to lose steam, and rumors circulated that the game had ceased production.

The company seemed to have a revolving door of management. In 2004, LucasArts president Jim Ward led a massive restructuring of the company, laying off many development staffers in the process. Ward left in 2008, to be replaced by EA's Darrell Rodriguez, who lasted only two years at the head of the company. Rodriguez's position was ultimately filled by Epic Games' Paul Meegan, who then stepped down in 2012. The company was co-led by Kevin Parker and Gio Corsi until it was acquired by Disney.

During that time, LucasArts attempted to inject new life into its in-house development by bringing in respected industry vet Clint Hocking (who helped lead the Far Cry and Splinter Cell franchises at Ubisoft) in as its new creative director. Sadly, Hocking lasted only two years in the position and left without completing the game he had been working on.

The last game published by LucasArts as a company is the sub-par Kinect Star Wars.

Ironically, many of the games for which LucasArts is best remembered for are not Star Wars games. Its genre-defining '90s adventure games created by Ron Gilbert and DoubleFine's Tim Schafer like The Secret of Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle, and Grim Fandango are all still celebrated by fans to this day.

Our sympathies go out to those who have lost their jobs today.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:02 PM   #474
Master Taffer
Resident Blackhand
Deranged Psychopath

There's no confirmation that 1313 has been cancelled yet. Let's not jump the gun there.

While it's unfortunate that people have lost their jobs and I hope they find swift work, opening up licensing to other developers for Star Wars will probably end up being a good thing. Like freeing it from George's grasp, it will allow new developers to leave their mark on the Star Wars universe in the world of games. Some games will be good, some will be bad. I'd rather have multiple chefs in the kitchen than just one.

ADDED:
Scratch that. 1313 and Star Wars: First Assault have been cancelled. Disappointing to hear, I was intrigued by the former.

There are those that believe the perfect heist lies in the preparation. Some say that it's all in the timing; seizing the right opportunity. Others even say it's the ability to leave no trace behind; be a ghost. For me? It's simple...
It's a way of life.

Last edited by Master Taffer; 04-03-2013 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Double Post Merged
Master Taffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:10 PM   #475
Biosynthnut v.2
Deranged Psychopath

Gonna say this right now... FUCK DISNEY, FUCK THAT MOUSE, AND FUCK WALT'S FROZEN HEAD! (yes this is in response to 1313 being shelved or cancelled, Clone wars being dropped) etc. So with that said. YOU BETTER PULL SOME FUCKING DARTH VADER SHIT AND REDEEM YOUR SELF!