Thanks Thanks:  2
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122

Thread: Freddy Vs. Jason (2003) - Thread 3

Proud bachelor and childfree. Chucky's back's Avatar

Default Re: Freddy Vs. Jason (2003) - Thread 3

Well, they deserve credit for using a New Blood-style Jason.
    Check out my comics here
    To me, the bottom line is that fan theories don't count. They're just excuses for the show's plot holes. The people writing the films are the ones that need to explain it, not the fans.

A hacked version of the "classic" LJN NES game in which instead of one the counselors. You play Freddy Kruger himself. In the long awaited NES Freddy Vs. Jason.
    Last edited by The One and Only; 11-26-2014 at 03:56 AM.
    "Of course you'll have a bad impression of New York if you only focus on the pimps and the C.H.U.D.S."-Marge Simpson

A few things that came to mind on this film...

One, the intro is perfect. After all the convoluted Nightmare sequels, we immediately touch base with classic Freddy again through the well-edited sequence of classic kills. No coincidence that we don't see any of his sillier moments. We also see, IMO, the best Freddy backstory. I've noticed that it's concurrent with the original NOES's opening where Freddy is first building his glove (we see some different shots, as well as its first victim).
    Meanwhile, it gives us a much better reasoning for Freddy's revival without directly contradicting Freddy's Dead. Here, he just mentions that he came back because kids were still afraid of him. That's all we need.

Second, was this supposed to end the series'? Both of the main series were pretty much left in a strange place with their final formal entries. Jason X puts Jason hundreds of years into the future, and New Nightmare took the series into real life. A side-entry like this seemed like the only logical way to sidestep those issues.

Anyways, as we know now, this became the end of those classic series' (then came the remakes). Robert Englund even commented how it was a fitting end for Freddy (or something to that effect). But was the ending to Freddy Vs. Jason meant to be definitive? To me, it always seemed like a cliffhanger, and a setup for a sequel. But maybe the ending simply signified that Jason won the battle, but Freddy was still alive to haunt another day.

With Texas Chainsaw 3D being one of the first entries of a series I can think of that actually threw out a rebooted series and went back to the original, could there still be hope? Freddy vs. Jason had marketing power, and I still think a sequel could be pulled off, if only to properly conclude the series.

FvJ was designed as a continuation for both franchises, but was mostly meant to be a one-off film. "New Nightmare" was part of a stumbling block as some of the writers tried to include it as a part of the story, but once Shannon and Swift came on board, that was dropped and they utilized elements of Goyer's script, which had used various bits of Freddy and Jason lore. They opted to keep the film simple and continuity lite enough for people who hadn't seen all the films.

"Jason X" is actually a sequel to this film. FvsJ was officially announced as going into development in the fall of 1997, but two years later, it was stuck in limbo. Sean (Cheetos) Cunningham had wanted to do a solo film, before his production company would lose the option to make anymore films and so he had JX written as a means of keeping the rights. The idea was that if NLC didn't have a script for the crossover ready in time, they could at least put out a solo Jason film. Which is what happened. Once New Line decided to shit or get off the pot, FvsJ finally happened.

WCNN was most Craven wanting to do the type of film that he had initially wanted to do way back in 1986 and wouldn't worry about having to step on the toes of all the previous films.
    Baker: "Joseph P. Brenner. What does the P stand for?"
    Kaminsky: "Pussy."

Thanks for clarifying. I heard rumors that the studio was planning on an immediate follow-up to FvJ that just didn't materialize. Not sure if they meant for it to be the end of both respective series', but it seems Robert Englund did, and that's enough to end the Elm Street series.

The rumor became...

But Sam Raimi didn't want to do that and first announced doing another film in the ED franchise. Though it would be a number of years before the remake and the television series materialized instead.
    Baker: "Joseph P. Brenner. What does the P stand for?"
    Kaminsky: "Pussy."

ever watch the scene when Lori's dad kisses her on the mouth in slow motion? my favorite scene. he really got his tongue all up in there. wowsers.
    Last edited by i am SAW; 07-12-2016 at 03:20 AM.

Re-watched this for the first time in ages and two things struck me... 1) the guy who gets his head twisted around at the start of the rave massacre looks like a young George Bush Jr. 2) Whoever behind the scenes decided Jason should have a head like an eggplant and lumber around like Frankenstein's monster needs a slap.

But there's some brilliant imagery in this film, like that little girl with her eyes cut out and the people in the hospital with pads taped over their eyes. I get the feeling that's more in keeping with Shannon and Swift's original vision rather than all that WWE/Monty Python style violence.

There's also Jack Black and Jason Mewes lookalikes.

Blame Ronni Yu.

This movie's garbage, btw.
    He's back... The man behind the mask...
    And he's out of control!

11. Thanks Chucky's back thanked for this post

pop quiz,

name the scene that shows 2 new unopened music cassette tapes.

5 cool posts if you post a screencap.

50 cool points if you can identify what albums they were.

something about the opening scene is confusing, or maybe i just didnt pick up on it until now. the naked girl Jason killed by stabbing her into the tree, WASN'T REAL.

when Jason first appears he kills the girl, then he turns around and sees his mother. his mother says "you can never die, you've just been sleeping. wake up. i need you to go to Elm St. ... rise up Jason. hear my voice and live again". then of course we find out she was actually Freddy...

and THEN it shows Jason buried in his grave, his heart coming back to life, THEN crawling out of the grave and walking away.

so... either he was alive, then went back in the grave, then came back to life, which makes no sense.

so it JUST hit me, the scence of him stabbing the girl into the tree and seeing his mom was all a DREAM he had while in his grave. obviously, Freddy talks to people in their dreams, DUH! i cant believe i just figured that out. so that girl he stabbed wasnt even real, it cant even count as a "Jason kill" to add to his body count, cause it didnt really happen!

so, did everyone else know it was a dream since your first viewing? or did you figure it out later? or did you not know until you just read this post?

Yeah, it was a dream.
    I knew from the beginning.
    The girl even morphs into other people while pinned to the tree.

remember the movie National Lampoon's Senior Trip? two stoners were watching JGTH and had this convo... "sometimes i wonder if Jason has dreams, and if he does, can Freddy invade them?" ... "i think about that all the time!" well they finally got the answer.

Lol never say Senior Trip, but that's funny.

"Of course you'll have a bad impression of New York if you only focus on the pimps and the C.H.U.D.S."-Marge Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by i am SAW View Post
    something about the opening scene is confusing, or maybe i just didnt pick up on it until now. the naked girl Jason killed by stabbing her into the tree, WASN'T REAL.

when Jason first appears he kills the girl, then he turns around and sees his mother. his mother says "you can never die, you've just been sleeping. wake up. i need you to go to Elm St. ... rise up Jason. hear my voice and live again". then of course we find out she was actually Freddy...

and THEN it shows Jason buried in his grave, his heart coming back to life, THEN crawling out of the grave and walking away.

so... either he was alive, then went back in the grave, then came back to life, which makes no sense.

so it JUST hit me, the scence of him stabbing the girl into the tree and seeing his mom was all a DREAM he had while in his grave. obviously, Freddy talks to people in their dreams, DUH! i cant believe i just figured that out. so that girl he stabbed wasnt even real, it cant even count as a "Jason kill" to add to his body count, cause it didnt really happen!

so, did everyone else know it was a dream since your first viewing? or did you figure it out later? or did you not know until you just read this post?

The way I understand it is that Jason was in his own personal Hell at the beginning of the movie, and Freddy basically releases him. Freddy even says, "I had to search the bowels of Hell, but I found someone...." I think that talk of Jason being asleep was Freddy's way of encouraging Jason in the simplest way possible to try returning to the living world, then he used what was left of his own power to help him along.

I always felt bad that Kane didn't get to play Jason in this one. Always wondered if, after having promoted the film for years with Kane at conventions, if there's anything Robert did or could've done to try & sway the producers into bringing Kane back. It sucks for Kane, but I also imagine it sucked a little for Robert too, not getting to face off against Kane.

No slight to Ken Kirzinger. I thought he did just fine.

20. Thanks SanicHeghog thanked for this post