Thanks Thanks:  2
Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Freddy Vs. Jason (2003) - Thread 3

The Lord Of Dorkness Forum Staff The Dark Vampire's Avatar

Default Freddy Vs. Jason (2003) - Thread 3

The Old Thread was 550 posts long so time for a new one.
    YOU are a total total...a word has yet to be invented to describe how totally what ever it is you are, but you are one, and a total total one at that!

Default Re: Freddy Vs. Jason (2003) - Thread 3

Just popped this in a few nights ago. It's a good time waster if you can look past some of the acting. Being a fan of both Freddy and Jason it was cool to see both peeps trading blows.
    If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

Member of Killa's Crew 2.0
    Member of Creature Of The Night Crew

My bigest gripe with this movie is Jason's fear of water. Other then that and Kane not being in it, it is a cool movie. Robert did a great job in his last portrayal of the character. I watched this on Blu-Ray like a week ago.
    _baker's dozen_ & MaDMaNMaRz'S Metal Militia

There's a legend around here, a killer buried, but not dead!

My only big gripe with this is the water bullshit. I'll never really get over it, because it's that damn stupid. Other than that, the film isn't necessarily bad. I would've preferred Kane as Jason, but Kirzinger was still a fine zombie Jason in my book, just needed a better director to...well, direct him.
    "The hands of death could not defeat me. The Sisters of Fate could not hold me. And you will not see the end of this day! I will have my REVENGE!"

Proud bachelor and childfree. Chucky's back's Avatar

Looks like the sequel might happen after all, as a fan film: http://www.fvjva.com/
    A bit early to tell if it will be any good yet though. But the costumes look well made at least, they even stayed away from that ugly Frankenstein design Jason had and went for a part 7-ish look.
    Check out my comics here
    To me, the bottom line is that fan theories don't count. They're just excuses for the show's plot holes. The people writing the films are the ones that need to explain it, not the fans.

Agreeing with what's been said so far... great film but it would have been better if Kane was in it and he didn't have a fear of water.
    Henry Swanson' my name, and excitement's my game!
    Member of: Cult Of Thorn | F13th's Christians | Bakers Dozen| Nuke Banantulas
    Worst Thread: The Man Thread, F13 Short Story Winner

Caution harsh opinions below:

I'm sure i've posted this in the unpopular opinion thread, but imo Ash sucks. Ash doesn't deserve to be in a film with these two icons. Who the hell started that idea anyways? Worst idea ever. It's never going to happen in a real film, so why bother adding a third rate character when you could add another true icon? Anyways.

Kane sucks donut holes. Stay Puft Marshmallow Jason would've had to sumo wrestle Fred.

Not a licensed attorney Forum Staff Hoody's Avatar

I own this on Bluray but haven't watched it yet. In fact I don't think I've watched it since I bought the original dvd release.
    Yea Nash was defending his wife, from his son. At least no one tore a quad. - Biosynthnut v.2

Well, its a fan film. I don't consider that in any way official.
    As for who came up with the idea it was someone at New Line that suggested Ash.
    They wanted a sequel and figured they needed to up the ante from just the two villans. They tried for Myers and dimension or Akkad said no.
    They decided Ash had a big enough cult following and instead of 3 bad guys have a well known hero come in.
    It was probably Jeff Katz (sp?) Who wrote the treatment.

Jeff Katz did write the treatment, and I'm pretty sure he ended up writing the comic book too.

Oh, the Horror! - All Decades, All Sub-Genres!

Balls Academy - Your Alma mater for teen films, raunchy, low-brow comedies, sexploitation & coming of age dramas.
    EFilmCritic - reviews of everything else

Quote Originally Posted by Jus10 View Post
    Agreeing with what's been said so far... great film but it would have been better if Kane was in it and he didn't have a fear of water.
    Freddy should've also had more kills.
    "The hands of death could not defeat me. The Sisters of Fate could not hold me. And you will not see the end of this day! I will have my REVENGE!"

Quote Originally Posted by Voorheeszilla View Post
    Freddy should've also had more kills.
    Maybe a few more. But the whole reason Freddy wanted to fight Jason was because Jason was taking his victims, so I'm not too bummed at that.

Neither am I, but one or two more kills wouldn't have hurt things either, imo.

I wouldn't have had a problem with the way the lack of kills on Freddy's part, but the way they marketed the film suggested a "winner kills all" sort of deal and that these guys would be duking it out to claim more victims than the other.

Though, to be honest, I'm kinda glad it didn't go in that direction.
    If Atkins was here... he'd have two chicks in one hand and a beer in the other, and I know exactly what he'd tell you. He'd say "shut the fuck up, Spanky, I'm trying to score." And it would be true. Because Atkins has faith in two things: his mustache and his cock (yet to be disproven as two separate things) and if we all live with even a quarter of that Atkinness, then we have succeeded in life...

Quote Originally Posted by Natman View Post
    I wouldn't have had a problem with the way the lack of kills on Freddy's part, but the way they marketed the film suggested a "winner kills all" sort of deal and that these guys would be duking it out to claim more victims than the other.

Though, to be honest, I'm kinda glad it didn't go in that direction.
    I didn't get that from the marketing. When Monica Keena says "Place your bets" in every TV Spot and trailer, I never got the impression she was saying "Who's gonna kill more people than the other one, guys? Place your bets."

I always took it as "The playing field as been leveled and they're about to duke it out, place your bets."

Well, yeah. The fight between the two icons was the main selling point and they definitely hit that in marketing. But there was a competition aspect as well, especially in the ridiculous TV spots claiming that they had taken "thousands of lives" apiece.
    If Atkins was here... he'd have two chicks in one hand and a beer in the other, and I know exactly what he'd tell you. He'd say "shut the fuck up, Spanky, I'm trying to score." And it would be true. Because Atkins has faith in two things: his mustache and his cock (yet to be disproven as two separate things) and if we all live with even a quarter of that Atkinness, then we have succeeded in life...

Well, yeah. The fight between the two icons was the main selling point and they definitely hit that in marketing. But there was a competition aspect as well, especially in the ridiculous TV spots claiming that they had taken "thousands of lives" apiece.
    Well if you inc the space station in JX and the fact Freddy had killed every single child/teenager in Freddys Dead it could be in the thousands each.
    YOU are a total total...a word has yet to be invented to describe how totally what ever it is you are, but you are one, and a total total one at that!

I try not to over think it. I did factor in the space station in Jason X, though. The only way I figure Freddy's Dead could factor in that way is if it took place after Freddy vs. Jason. Which it didn't because that movie is so early 90s. So while it doesn't make sense, I would have to factor in Freddy's Dead, I suppose.

Well, 8 years and this film still sucks the big ones for me. The first 20 minutes a cool for sure, and after that downhhill for the most part. With the exception, of some cool bits here and there.

Strangely, enough the water fear aspect never bothered me, and whats with always bashing acting on modern horror these days? The acting from 80s slashers wasn't exactly gold either.
    Prophet of Regret: "Of all the objects our Lords left behind none are so worthless as, YOU ORACLES! YOU KNOW NOTHING OF THE GREAT JOURNEY!

8 years and this movie still kicks major ass for me. The two icons going at it for an hour and a half is definitely something to behold. The action choreography was excellent, characters great fodder, and some quotable lines from Freddy. A satisfying outcome as well that pleases fans of both characters. It's a solid entry in both franchises and I welcome it wholly.
    They were warned. Thye were doomed. And on Friday the 13th,nothing will save them.

I don't quite understand the whole "did Freddy's Dead take place yet or not" thing that seems to pop up with folks online from time to time. You SEE FD in the opening montage.

T.M., Esq.
    "HOOPER OUT!"

I try not to over think it. I did factor in the space station in Jason X, though. The only way I figure Freddy's Dead could factor in that way is if it took place after Freddy vs. Jason. Which it didn't because that movie is so early 90s. So while it doesn't make sense, I would have to factor in Freddy's Dead, I suppose.
    Doesn't Jason X take place after FvJ though?
    Prophet of Regret: "Of all the objects our Lords left behind none are so worthless as, YOU ORACLES! YOU KNOW NOTHING OF THE GREAT JOURNEY!

I don't think the timeline matters as it wasn't a plot point just a random line thrown out there to hype up the movie

I finally saw this movie from beginning to end with no interuptions. It was a real thrill, but could still be improved. The biggest problem was how some action sequences speed up at some points, and it just looks fake. Other problems were more subtle.
    The lighting helped keep the atmosphere, especially Jason's scenes in the first half. Another strong point was all the references made to the previous films, there's almost too many to count. Things such as the double-spearing, and the suspected Jason copycat show that they kept the fans in mind.
    Jason himself looked good, but he was just plain slow. Walking Jason aside, he just allows himself to take hits. Kane definately acted with more emotion, but then again, it's revealed that Jason doesn't really WANT to kill. And at least he's back with his original hockey mask (appropriately aged).
    The gore was good for the most part, when it wasn't all sped up. Jason's rave massacre was legendary.

On another note, was there ever a point in Jason X where they mention the date, or not?

I fucking love the rave massacre, he's just hacking people left & right the whole time.

And I can agree that Kane invested more emotion into the character, but Ken did give a pretty good performance, & imo, has the best hockey mask out of all the zombie Jason appearances.