Thanks Thanks:  1
Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 222829303132

Thread: Rare Slashers

Default Re: Rare Slashers

Oh shit, I just missed it. I was thinking the article I posted was newer than it was.

Oh, the Horror! - All Decades, All Sub-Genres!

Balls Academy - Your Alma mater for teen films, raunchy, low-brow comedies, sexploitation & coming of age dramas.
    EFilmCritic - reviews of everything else

Haha, no harm done. Now more people will know!
    Oh, the Horror! All Decades. All Sub-Genres. All Terror!
    _Baker's Dozen_ Member of Killa's Crew 2.0
    The Bear Family Member of the Horror RPG, Seasons 1-4 and Remake

I went to a local video store today that was going out of business because they were selling off their library for cheap. I started scanning the horror section for dvds that have went OOP, but the few that I saw I already have.

I know, I know, I need help.
    _Baker's Dozen_

I'm laughing at you dog

We do the same thing Peter Baker. Hollywood Video here is going out of business and they were selling all their dvd's for 3 for $10. I couldn't find anything I wanted but my bf got 'Leeches', 'The Messengers 2', and 'Cabin Fever 2'.

Also, we went to Suncoast here in the mall and they have a 'Used DVD' section and we found 'Zombie Lake', Mario Bava's 'Shock' and 'Don't Go In The Woods...Alone!'...all 3 for $17. I was happy.

I really like Cabin Fever 2 which is surprising because I thought that I was going to hate it. Very fun movie.
    _Baker's Dozen_

I'm laughing at you dog

I haven't seen CF2 yet. I am on the 'I'll wait for the Bluray" bus, just so I don't have to buy shit twice.

I just popped in my birthday present; Scream 1981 DVD.

It was interesting, to say the least. Some slow slow parts, but the beginning 12 or so minutes were fun, as were the last 10. Some areas in the middle had potential, and overall, it wasn't a complete waste of time, just something 'different' from other slashers. I guess that's a pro to it. At least it's not disposable like the many frame-by-frame copycats of today. It is actually kind or original, in a low rent and wtf kind of way. I finally got the story and killer identity after rewinding to the storytelling scene. My head was kept up.

1.5/4.0

Can we expect an OTH review?
    _Baker's Dozen_

I'm laughing at you dog

Wes reviewed that shit way back when.

Balls Academy - Your Alma mater for teen films, raunchy, low-brow comedies, sexploitation & coming of age dramas.

Oh shit I forgot all about that. Guess I'll give it another read then!
    _Baker's Dozen_

I'm laughing at you dog

Quote Originally Posted by Joshg View Post
    I just popped in my birthday present; Scream 1981 DVD.

It was interesting, to say the least. Some slow slow parts, but the beginning 12 or so minutes were fun, as were the last 10. Some areas in the middle had potential, and overall, it wasn't a complete waste of time, just something 'different' from other slashers. I guess that's a pro to it. At least it's not disposable like the many frame-by-frame copycats of today. It is actually kind or original, in a low rent and wtf kind of way. I finally got the story and killer identity after rewinding to the storytelling scene. My head was kept up.

1.5/4.0
    I used to hate the movie when I first saw whenI was about 12, in mid-2004, but about a year later I grew to like it a bit. The music in the opening scenes/credits is fucking eerie.

I've stated my theory on the whole 'figurines' bit many times in the past.
    "You thought it was over, it's not over, I CAME BACK, I BROUGHT MY AXE!!!!!" Cannibal Corpse

Quote Originally Posted by God of Thunder View Post
    I used to hate the movie when I first saw whenI was about 12, in mid-2004, but about a year later I grew to like it a bit. The music in the opening scenes/credits is fucking eerie.

I've stated my theory on the whole 'figurines' bit many times in the past.
    Basically,

the Captain was the killer, as told by the Woody ghost. The figurines represented other people on the seas, the baker and candlestick maker...while the captain was the butcher. He killed the people. Then, at the end, Woody killed the captain, so his figurine was decapitated. The clock now ticked twelve to show that the curse has done its course, and has completed itself.

ADDED:
    Oh, and not sure if I have posted this here, but there is a fan made (by the director) trailer for a 1984-shot slasher movie called As Darkness Sets In up on youtube. The film maker is a regular on another forum I frequent, and he is in negotiations for a remaster and eventual DVD release of it sometime soon. Unlike NIGHT OF THE DRIBBLER, I think that this will actually be a slasher movie...perhaps adequately so? Hehe

[YT="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v="]Co0EBqFYBV8[/YT]

Last edited by Joshg; 04-26-2010 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Double Post Merged

Wow...That one was shot on 8mm!!

Yeah...Dribbler was a disappointment. Wasn't really funny either.

Quote Originally Posted by flafilmmaker View Post
    Yeah...Dribbler was a disappointment. Wasn't really funny either.
    i can't even express the amount of anger i felt when i watched Night of the Dribbler. I was all excited for a basketball themed slasher and instead I get the absolute worst attempt at humor I've ever seen in my life. And from what I understand, it was supposed to be a slasher but that talk show host who played like 3 people in the movie was some devout christian so instead of replacing him they completely changed the movie. Unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshg View Post
    Basically,

the Captain was the killer, as told by the Woody ghost. The figurines represented other people on the seas, the baker and candlestick maker...while the captain was the butcher. He killed the people. Then, at the end, Woody killed the captain, so his figurine was decapitated. The clock now ticked twelve to show that the curse has done its course, and has completed itself.

That's EXACTLY what I've been thinking the past few years.

That trailer is fucking awesome, dig the Don LaFontane clone voice!

And folks, here's a new trailer for Violent Shit 4. NSFW!!!!!

[YT="Violent Shit 4 Trailer"]XmLFLqLHVDE[/YT]

THe bit at 1:25 fucking rules.
    "You thought it was over, it's not over, I CAME BACK, I BROUGHT MY AXE!!!!!" Cannibal Corpse

Fangoria has posted the covers of the Blu-Ray/DVD Combo of The Dorm That Dripped Blood coming soon from Synapse. The covers are reversible. Very cool touch, Synapse!

On which side do you plan to display the film? I've never cared much for the Pranks title or artwork, so I'm gonna have to side with The Dorm That Dripped Blood.

ADDED:
    Also, this news broke recently. Heavily hinted at before, Warner Bros. finally confirmed via Facebook their plans to release NIGHT SCHOOL and KILLER PARTY as part of their Warner Archive Collection sometime in 2011.

From Retro Slashers...

The Warner Archive Collection have confirmed they will release long sought after titles Killer Party and Night School to DVD in 2011.

Night School is Ken Hughes’ 1981 attempt to take the genre into a more gritty, dramatic direction while Killer Party is a 1986 campus-based spoofy slasher written by Barny Cohen (Friday The 13th: The Final Chapter) and directed by William Fruet (Funeral Home).

The Warner Archive service uses DVD-R media to make titles available to consumers on-demand that were never cost-beneficial for full DVD production.
    Last edited by WesReviews; 12-15-2010 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Double Post Merged
    Facebook.
    wesr @ hotmail .com

Hope Warner includes those in their screener slate for that month; not counting on it though.

Signing Off... Deranged Psychopath Chex's Avatar

With Warners knocking it out of the park this year through their archive program for BD (which are pressed), I keep hoping Night School will get another release in HD.
    But Jamie's character in The Fog was really easy wasn't she? Get in my truck and get in my bed - in that order.
    -Tom Atkins

A few slasher titles coming out over the next few months. Twisted Nightmare from Code Red is already out (probably most famous for being filmed at the location used in Friday the 13th Part III), The Slayer from Arrow in August, and Hell Night from Scream! Factory in October.
    But Jamie's character in The Fog was really easy wasn't she? Get in my truck and get in my bed - in that order.
    -Tom Atkins

And Victims from Slasher Video sometime later this month. The 30th, I think. Code Red also recently released Hide and Go Shriek and Deadly Dreams, so they're kind of on a slasher run here lately. I'm really excited to check out Twisted Nightmare at some point in the next week or so.

Received Twisted Nightmare today. I'll try and give it a look tonight. I forgot about Victims from Olive. Popcorn was finally released by Synapse, but I'm holding out for a (less costly) non-steel book edition. Hide and Go Shriek was more fun than I thought it would be. If you don't care for a furniture store backdrop though, man, that is not the movie for you.

I listened to a podcast with Don May a few weeks ago and was flabbergasted to hear that Prom Night has been a poor seller for them. I mean, that's one of the more known golden-era slashers outside of the big franchises yet it didn't sell. Worse is that it's the first presentation to allow a viewer to actually see what's going on. It's a beautiful transfer! What a shame. Hopefully, Massacre at Central High does better for them.
    -Tom Atkins

I'm actually going to watch that Prom Night Blu-ray soon, and I'm gonna be real: it's probably the last shot that one has for me. In the back of my mind, I'm kind of hoping the lame DVD transfers have clouded my judgment all these years because I am not the biggest fan of it.

Give in to the disco, DM. It's Prom Night...

...everything's gonna be....

...alright. >_<
    -Tom Atkins

Code Red just released Butcher Baker, Nightmare Maker (aka Night Warning) on Blu-ray, exclusively at Diabolik DVD.

Code Red is also releasing The Dark in August, which is basically a slasher that got sci-fi touches added in post-production to cash in on Alien.

New label, Garagehouse Pictures is releasing a long lost, never before released on VHS or DVD proto-slasher from 1975 called The Intruder on August 1st. The plot... "The lust for gold brings eleven visitors to a remote island retreat, but an unseen, seemingly unstoppable evil follows to stalk them one by one. The bodies don’t stop dropping until the final shattering conclusion. Who – or what – is the intruder? One thing is for certain: it will not stop until it kills them all." Sure sounds like a slasher movie to me.

Garagehouse Pictures also announced recently that they have acquired the rights to release 1976's Bloodstalkers on Blu-ray.

Some other newsworthy tidbits...

Warner Archive Collection has been working on a Blu-ray of Alice, Sweet Alice for 5 years, but still can't locate usable elements.

Code Red's work on the Fatal Games Blu-ray has been put on hold, due to not being able to access the original negative because the warehouse it's being stored in is in the middle of a bankruptcy proceeding.

Kino Lorber's rep says that MGM is not making Terror on Tour available to licensors at this time, possibly due to a music rights issue.

Shriek Show no longer has Girls Nite Out, so if it is to be released on Blu-ray, it won't be from them (unless they strike a new deal with the rights holders).

One of the guys from the Hysteria Continues podcast confirmed that Vinegar Syndrome is working on a Blu-ray of House of Death, however, it has hit "a few roadblocks". Not sure what those are or how serious they are. They claim to be releasing 5 horror movies in October and another 3 in November. Surely one of those 8 would be House of Death?
    Last edited by WesReviews; 07-24-2017 at 10:12 PM.
    Facebook.
    wesr @ hotmail .com

25. Thanks SanicHeghog thanked for this post

Here's a bunch to get your teeth into :

Lovers Lane
    Hide and go Shriek
    Shredder
    Do you wanna know a secret
    Blood Snow
    Abonimable
    Body Count