Thanks Thanks:  1
Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Rare Slashers

Default Rare Slashers

Yep, this is the place to discuss them, ask questions, review them, or just plain bitch about them. Enjoy!
    _Baker's Dozen_

I'm laughing at you dog

Default Re: RARE SLASHERS!

Well, the one rare slasher that comes to mind is Buried Alive. Anyone seen that one? Jennifer Jason Leigh and William Atherton are a couple of lovers that try to kill Leigh's husband Tim Matheson for the insurance dollars. Catch is, they didn't give him enough poison and he broke out of his tomb to return for some bloody revenge. He was a counstruction worker, so he kills them off in this elaborate maze-like trap that he built while they were trapped in the basement. He wears a welder's helmet to conceal his identity, and he's really the one that we root for. It's a tense little picture. Tim Matheson was badass. The Otter strikes back!!!!
    Last edited by DavidDunn; 08-13-2007 at 07:32 PM.
    Miller Timers: Members that truly enjoy "The High Life"
    Tom Atkins, Chex, The Dream Master, The Boys from Blade, MaDMaNMaRz, DavidDunn, nottidelterrore, old-boo-radley, 4BarrelHemi, TheReaper666

David's Saga Rankings: 4,2,6,5,8,3,7,9,1,FvsJ,X
    The 14th member of Killa's Crew 2.0

Yeah, I have that movie (Buried Alive) I like it a lot. I haven't seen Buried Alive II yet, but I'm gonna get it. There's also Edgar Allen Poe's Buried Alive which is also good.

As for rare slashers, one that I have seen recently that I liked was Scream Bloody Murder (the 1970's one)

Buried Alive 2 was pretty good. A tad inferior, but still great. In that one, it's a wife left for dead by a cheating hubby. Tim Matheson returns to show her the ropes of revenge, and she traps the two lovers on a sunken yacht. Ally Sheedy is the wife character, and the film series' kills are better than ever.
    Last edited by DavidDunn; 10-04-2008 at 05:13 AM.
    Tom Atkins, Chex, The Dream Master, The Boys from Blade, MaDMaNMaRz, DavidDunn, nottidelterrore, old-boo-radley, 4BarrelHemi, TheReaper666

I've been able to get my hands on a couple gems recently. One that comes to mind is 555. It's about a man who dresses like a hippie and kills couples every 5 years within 5 days. It's a pretty solid generic slasher.
    _Baker's Dozen_

I'm laughing at you dog

I want 555, it goes for like 5o bucks though.

I got it for 13 bucks.
    _Baker's Dozen_

I'm laughing at you dog

Among some in my collection:

New Year's Evil- a laughably "so-bad it's still awful" slasher that was graciously burned off for me.

Slaughter High- a guilty pleasure. I caught it on HBO one insomiac filled night, and it's absurdness makes it so much fun. Who the hell takes a bath at a high school reunion? What the hell kind of high school has only 6 people attending for its reunion?

Madman- In the same vein as Friday the 13th. Has a notorious hot tub scene that will leave you feeling very awkward afterwards.

Stepfather- A movie that doesn't get the respect it deserves. It's truly a slasher film at heart. Terry O'Quinn gives a chilling performance and that you won't soon forget.

Kolobos- A pretty imaginative and well done slasher on a small budget. It's also extremely bizzarre. Not too many I know have heard of this film, but it's worth checking out.

Popcorn- Another unrecognized gem. Popcorn is another creative slasher that not many remember.
    "I'm in the goddamned club, aren't I?"

Master Taffer: Yes, let's bring back giant lizard with sharp talons and teeth and let them roam the fucking earth again. DIDN'T ANY OF THOSE FUCKERS SEE JURASSIC PARK!?

Ahh Popcorn was indeed a very overlooked slasher. Another favorite of mine is Honeymoon Horror which is a long forgotten great piece of slasher.
    _Baker's Dozen_

I'm laughing at you dog

I love Popcorn haha.

What about the more obscure ones like:
    Edge Of The Axe
    Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker
    Humongous
    Killer Party
    and sich?

So many movies...

yeah the list just goes on..
    home sweet home
    the night brings charlie
    backwoods (not really a slasher, but sort of)
    new year's evil
    dream maniac
    whodunnit
    victims
    to all a goodnight
    sledge hammer
    scream (1985)
    savage weekend
    nightmare in a damaged brain
    beserker
    the black room
    blood massacre
    blood tracks
    bodycount
    boarding house
    deadline
    death nurse
    death row diner
    the freeway maniac
    house of death
    iced
    junior
    meatcleaver massacre
    murderlust....

just to name a few.
    _Baker's Dozen_

I'm laughing at you dog

Night Warning (Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker) is one that I've been searching for for a while, ever since sites have been giving it top slasher reviews! Like Terror Trap for instance, which gave it 3.5/4...Hooray!

I own Silent Madness and Too Scared to Scream, and thought that they were both great obscure slashers.

Well...okay, TStS was below average, and Silent Madness wasn't great, but it was fun!

Blood Rage I just watched yesterday.
    Humongous is a favorite of mine, and Fatal Games...for some reason...don't know why...

AHH! I used "...'s" so many times. I'm officially a bad writer.
    Oh, the Horror! All Decades. All Sub-Genres. All Terror!
    _Baker's Dozen_ Member of Killa's Crew 2.0
    The Bear Family Member of the Horror RPG, Seasons 1-4 and Remake

Has anyone here seen Anguish with Zelda Rubenstein? It basically has the same premise as Popcorn with a killer in the theatre murdering moviegoers to the theme of the horror film on the screen, but it was made before Popcorn and I believe that it was done better.

"The eyes of the city are mine."

I forgot all about stage fright, well I don't think it's that rare, but it's a great slasher with some cool kills.
    _Baker's Dozen_

I'm laughing at you dog

The rarest slasher I own is called Into the Darkness. It stars Donald Pleasance and his real life daughter, Polly. I picked it up for $3 and to date I can't even find a VHS cover pic of it anywhere online. I have found one review, and it's on IMDB from a guy who wrote it in 1999. It still doesn't have 5 IMDB votes. So, I believe I have one of the rarest slashers in existence, but I don't think it is worth much simply because no one knows it exists.
    Oh, the Horror! Reviews - Check out our ever-growing vault of theatrical and home video horror reviews! Now on Twitter!
    B.A.L.L.S. Academy - Your Alma mater for teen films, raunchy, low-brow comedies, sexploitation & coming of age dramas.

You'd be surprised how many people know of movies but simply just can't find them. I'd buy that movie from you!

How about Curtains?

Master Taffer: Yes, let's bring back giant lizard with sharp talons and teeth and let them roam the fucking earth again. DIDN'T ANY OF THOSE FUCKERS SEE JURASSIC PARK!?

Curtains is fairly rare. Wasn't a bad flick either. 6/10. The Hag is one cool and creepy killer.
    Oh, the Horror! All Decades. All Sub-Genres. All Terror!
    _Baker's Dozen_ Member of Killa's Crew 2.0
    The Bear Family Member of the Horror RPG, Seasons 1-4 and Remake

Wait a minute Boo... how many daughters did Donald have? I was only aware the actress daughter he had was Angela?

T.M.
    "HOOPER OUT!"

I liked Curtains... it was slow at parts but it seemed to always lead up to really good parts.

An underrated one is Fade To Black. A really weird slasher, but I like it a lot.

Pieces and Memorial Valley Massacre are a couple of rare good slasher films that I enjoyed. They are public domain so you can get them together form $10.

_baker's dozen_ & MaDMaNMaRz'S Metal Militia

There's a legend around here, a killer buried, but not dead!

Pieces is gonna have a SE soon from Grindhouse Releasing. I can't wait! Memorial Valley Massacre is so damn bad that it's golden.

Anyone like killer bee movies?

The Killer Bees
    The Savage Bees
    Terror Out Of The Sky
    Killer Buzz
    Deadly Invasion

to name a few, and then killer vehicle movies.

Maximum Overdrive
    Trucks (unofficial Max Overdrive remake)
    The Car
    Killdozer
    Wheels Of Terror
    Rolling Vengeance

I dunno, I get a kick out of horror movies with weird gimmicks like those.

Ive know about Into The Darkness for months n months and have it on to get list.

Scab, I love Fade Into Black! I keep searching for a used copy to score cheap in used DVD stores.

A few more (probably aren't rare to us, but the mainstreamers probably haven't heard of them):

Mountaintop Motel Massacre
    American Gothic
    Deranged
    Motel Hell
    Iced
    The Unholy (not a straight by the book slasher per say, but still, a damn fine film starring the hotness that is Ben Cross that never gets recognized)

And I forgot The Kiss. I absolutely love this movie, and I have only met one other person in real life who even knew it existed besides me. It made me afraid of escalators for life!

Quote Originally Posted by The Tall Man View Post
    Wait a minute Boo... how many daughters did Donald have? I was only aware the actress daughter he had was Angela?

T.M.
    I honestly don't know, Tally. But I would like to tap the ass of one just to say I did.

Nah, I'd be a gentleman 'cause I respect ol' Donald.
    Oh, the Horror! Reviews - Check out our ever-growing vault of theatrical and home video horror reviews! Now on Twitter!
    B.A.L.L.S. Academy - Your Alma mater for teen films, raunchy, low-brow comedies, sexploitation & coming of age dramas.