Thanks Thanks:  4
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen King's "IT"

Default Stephen King's "IT"

So it sounds like my hopes for this novel finally getting a big-screen more faithful treatment is going to happen.
    I was always so disappointed in the TV version.
    http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/135...es-to-cinemas/
    Stephen King's "It" Comes To Cinemas
    By Garth Franklin Friday March 13th 2009 01:15AM
    Stephen King's "It" Comes To Cinemas

While there have been others that are more famous, Stephen King's 1986 novel "It" is arguably his darkest and most twisted work. Now a feature film version is on the way via Lin Pictures and Vertigo Entertainment says The Hollywood Reporter.

Dave Kajganich ("The Invasion," "Escape From New York") will adapt the story of a group of teen nerds and outcasts (nicknamed 'The Losers Club') in 1958 who encounter It, a shapeshifting creature which feeds on children and whose favorite form is that of a sadistic clown called Pennywise.

In 1985 the creature resurfaces, and the kids who're now adults must take on the demon of their childhood again - this time in a different form. The new film will update the period to contemporary times.

ABC made a rather 'edgy for its time' and quite creepy mini-series in 1990 based on the property starring the likes of John Ritter, Jonathan Brandis, Seth Green, Harry Anderson, Annette O'Toole and Tim Curry in a memorably creepy turn as Pennywise.

Sadly it made some major deviations from some of the darker or riskier elements of the novel, such as the female member of the group having sex with all the male members of the group to 'strengthen their bond' to the gay bashing that awakens the creature in the present. The first half which involved the child characters was far better received than the second half which dealt with the adult incarnations of the characters.

The Sci-Fi Channel was said to be looking into adapting the property into a new mini-series for the network, those plans have now fallen through.

strikes like Thunderball Forum Staff Cody's Avatar

Default Re: Stephen King's "IT"

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    So it sounds like my hopes for this novel finally getting a big-screen more faithful treatment is going to happen.
    Well, the "big screen treatment" part is. Faithful? We'll see.
    Life Between Frames: Filmmaking & film appreciation blog. Guest contributors welcome!

you figure...big screen movies are always AT THE MOST 3 hours...no way there can be a faithful adaption of the novel in a 3 hour movie.

Im actually pretty convinced this is one novel that just won't make a good movie, under any circumstances. except maybe perhaps if it gets "The Stand" 4 part miniseries treatment

My fingers are crossed. I doubt we'll even get a 3 hr movie, so there's no way they'll do it justice.

I actually liked the mini series until i read the book.

The novel IT was actually a learning experience for me...I was like 10, reading this thousand plus page adult book (took me a few months back then), and i didnt understand alot, i was looking up words in the dictionary as i was reading

The reread was alot better...this is my favorite novel of all time, i've read it a good 9 or 10 times in 17 years. I have a first print copy i bought off ebay, hardback, on my bookshelf. but when i read IT, i read my paperback release that coincided with the miniseries with Tim Curry in makeup on the cover. That book is so beat up...i have pages taped in, the back cover has rips around the edges....Stephen King would be proud. He said once someone gave him a copy of a book to sign and said "Sorry it looks like this" cause it was so beat up...but Stephen King said it only meant the book was well loved and read alot.

I wonder if the remake will be ten hours long too
    _Baker's Dozen_

I'm laughing at you dog

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Baker View Post
    I wonder if the remake will be ten hours long too
    i dont know about anyone else, but i would definitely watch IT for 10 hours if it was at least 95% faithful to the book.

Nutrition free since '93! Forum Staff Comfy Jeans's Avatar

There's no way this film will stick as close to the source material as we'd like. Just won't happen. Never does with King films, unless the film is directed by Mick Garris. And then everyone complains it's a photocopy.

Yeah, I dont see how a 2 hour movie is gonna do a 1000+ page novel justice.

I always liked the mini-series, but felt it needed to be longer. But it was still great.

I'd like to see them get Tim Curry back as Pennywise, but it wont happen.

You taste like a burger The Rudd's Avatar

WHY?!

Baker's Dozen | Miller Timers | Pineapple Cult | The Rudd Reich | The Cult of Thorn | Harsh Corps | Joe Bob Briggs
    Formerly TheReaper666, Sean [The Wildcard]

I'd also want to see Tim Curry back.

Other than that, since I've never read the book (and I just don't have the time right now to do so either) I can't really complain about this one.

I do hope they'd be close to the book.
    MOVIE CHAT LINEUP FOR OCTOBER: HERE

Quote Originally Posted by Penhall View Post
    I always liked the mini-series, but felt it needed to be longer.
    It also needed Annette O'Toole sleeping her way around the entire group.

Someone ought to get on the horn to the characters in the Persona franchise and let 'em know Beverly Marsh has devised the ultimate method of fortifying one's Social Links. No doubt it would be of immense help.

I hope this time around they include the battle with pennywise at the house on neibolt street.

I hope it includes... well, practically everything important that was missing. Mind you, I've not read IT since I was, like, 13. It was well outside my range as a reader back then, but I remember it being quite different from the mini-series. I need to go out and buy another copy. Probably do it after I've read the new King short story book I picked up last month, and King's up-coming novel.

Judging by what I have read in these posts I have deduced that the book was better than the original film. I should probably read the book.
    _Baker's Dozen_

I'm laughing at you dog

How many times have there been rumblings of some kind of a new IT? Nothing ever comes of it.

Maybe they'll go this route if it happens:

I know that over the, uh, the last several months I've lost a lot of things and one of them has been my smile.

^^^LOL

Well, I've read online they will ignoring the original timeline and placing it present day. The feature probably won't pass the 130 minute mark.

Expectations right down the shitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Baker View Post
    Judging by what I have read in these posts I have deduced that the book was better than the original film. I should probably read the book.
    Yes, you should.
    Baker: "Joseph P. Brenner. What does the P stand for?"
    Kaminsky: "Pussy."

I wouldn't mind seeing a more faithful adaptation of the book, but I just don't see that happening. Not because they couldn't do it, but because it would be a ridiculously long film. Until they do release a new version I'll be happy with the TV series, while not great it's still decent.

Also I would completely pay to watch Benn-IT in the theater.
    The World is Not Rated PG-13.

Whenever I've thought about a big-screen adaptation of my favorite book, three musts always come to mind: hard R, epic length, and set in the correct time period.

Set it in'58/'85 for fuck's sake! The time is so important, especially for the childhood segments. Audiences aren't too retarded to handle a period piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Dunwoody View Post
    Set it in'58/'85 for fuck's sake! The time is so important, especially for the childhood segments. Audiences aren't too retarded to handle a period piece.
    EXACTLY!

I mean...the timeline isnt just so important.....it IS the most important part of the story!

Now that I think about it...I could deal with a theatrical trilogy based on the book

A trilogy would definitely be the only way to do the book justice.

Like Dave said, I really hope its a hard R, and setting it in the correct time period is very important too.

I'm glad my all-time favorite book is finally getting a theatrical film adaption... I just hope they somehow manage to get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by JP's Revenge View Post
    A trilogy would definitely be the only way to do the book justice.

Like Dave said, I really hope its a hard R, and setting it in the correct time period is very important too.

I'm glad my all-time favorite book is finally getting a theatrical film adaption... I just hope they somehow manage to get it right.
    It's my all time favorite book too....

I just can't deal with one film. And, sadly, I don't think IT has enough of a fanbase, literary following to have a theatrical trilogy success...and the studio probably knows it. If it comes between a 2 and a half, or 3 hour theatrical movie, I'd rather see a "The Stand" style 4 night miniseries.

Even a 180 minute theatrical film won't do IT justice.

I don't think the entity Itself can really be translated to film either. I can't really see any movie capturing the psychic angle of the final confrontation. The Spider might be well done (certainly better than the TV movie), and perhaps Its arrival in prehistoric Derry, but explaining the deadlights and the macroverse and the ritual of Chud...I don't know. It could come off real hokey.