Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deep Blue Sea

Default Re: Deep Blue Sea

Quote Originally Posted by missingmachete View Post
    The one problem with this movie is that we never find out all the secrets to the perfect omelette. We know it's a mistake to add milk for density, but that's all.
    Ha ha...they really left us hanging with that one didn't they...those little teases.
    _Baker's Dozen_

I actually don't know anyone who makes an omelette with milk.

My dad is an awesome cook and his omelette doesn't have milk in it, neither has mine...maybe it's a cultural thing.
    Too grey to be pink sometimes, but I manage

First female member of Killa's Crew 3
    Muffin Friends / _Baker's Dozen_ /
    The Bear Family

Nutrition free since '93! Forum Staff Comfy Jeans's Avatar

The Wikipedia definition for 'omelette' begins thusly:

An omelette (alternatively, "omelet") is a preparation of beaten egg cooked with butter or oil in a frying pan, usually folded around a filling such as cheese, vegetables, meat (often ham), or some combination of the above.
    No where in the Wiki article does it ever mention milk.

Anyhoo, Deep Blue Sea is one of my favorite films to come out in 1999. It's got sharks, it's got Sam Jackson, it's got Thomas Jane. What else does one need? I think the film would have been better if Harlin hadn't gotten scissor happy with every single subplot in the film, but these things happen.

I still wish they'd do a Deep Blue Sea 2. In the absence of a new JAWS film, I was sort of banking on Deep Blue Sea as a franchise.

Renny said this seven years ago:

Regarding the plot, Harlin said, "They will probably be in a little town that might get flooded."
    Too bad it never came to be.

Yeah, I was really keen on the "flooded town under siege" plot, but I reckon even if the film ever goes ahead, that plot will be dumped (because of the catastrophe surrounding Katrina).

OMG! Hello Kitty iz teh hawtz! Evil Overlord Esten's Avatar

See the genius that is Renny? By not telling us how a perfect omelette is made, we debate endlessly.

Renny Harlin also said... "you won't be able to tell the difference between the real sharks and cgi sharks..." uh... the cgi sharks are really bad.
    The mechanical ones however, look very good!

If they ever do another killer shark movie like this, then I demand more mechanical sharks.

Hail Bruce!
    Jason Conquers | YouTube Friday the 13th Channel
    "We ain't gonna stand for no weirdness out here..."

The mechanical sharks will never be able to pull off the sort of thing Harlin wants during action sequences. For a film like JAWS, a big rubber puppet will more than suffice, but when you want to make a high octane action film with sharks, you're going to have to use some CGI. CGI has come a long way since then, so I reckon they could just about pull it off.

And despite looking beautiful, those animatronic sharks were a health hazard. It's a wonder no one was seriously injured while working around them.

I will make it because I dream Westin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by J.T. Jeans View Post
    And despite looking beautiful, those animatronic sharks were a health hazard. It's a wonder no one was seriously injured while working around them.
    they did look beautiful indeed. why was it dangerous working around them?
    "Where the hell am I supposed to find silver bullets? K-mart?"
    --The Monster Squad

Modern horror doesn't impress me much.
    Kindly put on your rose-tinted glasses before reading my posts.

The animatronics didn't get on well with water. The sharks would thrash and snap when they weren't being operated. I recall Sam Jackson telling a story about how one of them nearly took his hand off between takes.

Signing Off... Deranged Psychopath Chex's Avatar

I recall Sam Jackson telling a story about how one of them nearly took his hand off between takes.
    The shark was just in character and likes to stay in it as long as possible similar to Daniel Day Lewis.

Yes folks, Renny had the Daniel Day Lewis of sharks working for him. He just has that much pull in the film biz.
    But Jamie's character in The Fog was really easy wasn't she? Get in my truck and get in my bed - in that order.
    -Tom Atkins

Everyone wants to work with big explosions and then go off to filmcrew orgies after and only Harlin provides those thrills.

- Scarecrow

The sharks in the film were enormous. Mako's , although fairly aggressive sharks do not grow that big. Did their experiments make the sharks bodys as well as their brains grow?
    _Baker's Dozen_

I think they obliquely touch on the experiments making the sharks physically bigger, yes. They'd have to, after all, for the larger brains to fit in the shark's heads.

Renny Harlin talks about why the ending to DEEP BLUE SEA was changed, and reshot just two weeks before release.
    "Of course you'll have a bad impression of New York if you only focus on the pimps and the C.H.U.D.S."-Marge Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Comfy Jeans View Post
    The Wikipedia definition for 'omelette' begins thusly:

No where in the Wiki article does it ever mention milk.

Anyhoo, Deep Blue Sea is one of my favorite films to come out in 1999. It's got sharks, it's got Sam Jackson, it's got Thomas Jane. What else does one need? I think the film would have been better if Harlin hadn't gotten scissor happy with every single subplot in the film, but these things happen.

I still wish they'd do a Deep Blue Sea 2. In the absence of a new JAWS film, I was sort of banking on Deep Blue Sea as a franchise.
    A Deep Blue Sea II was in the works back in 2009 as part of Warner Brothers DTV Premiere films. The plot was a research vessel that was weaponizing sharks was seized by Somali pirates, and a team of Navy S.E.A.L.S is sent in to take it back. The entire ship was basically one giant floating laboratory with tunnels ,and holding tanks for the sharks.

And on top of it the sharks were set to have weapons attached to them.
    "Of course you'll have a bad impression of New York if you only focus on the pimps and the C.H.U.D.S."-Marge Simpson

This film brings out memories. My brother loved sharks when he was a kid and loved to watch this movie. Haha

DBS was my fourth favorite shark movie when it was released in 1999. Some shots like fins prowling in sunk corridors, the scene in the kitchen, were fabulous, as all the shots with the mechanical sharks. But, then, after a couple of watchings more, I became disappointed by this Towering Inferno movie featuring some sharks and characters not really interesting apart Thomas Jane and that radio woman, killed way too early in the movie. The sharks had no real personality despite some scenes showing them "think". The science aspect of the movie was, as in 99% of horror movies centered around science, totally boring and uninteresting.

I was interested to see a sequel with that idea of a flooded town infested with sharks. Kinda what Malibu Shark Attack and Bait would have been with a bigger budget. Or Sharknado with a serious tone. Always interested now to see that kind of story.

Now my fourth best shark movie is The Shallows. But I have seen it only once. Don't know how it will survive a few more watchings.