Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deep Blue Sea

Default Deep Blue Sea

Samuel L. Jackson does a better job dealing with snakes on crack than he does with brainy sharks.

Default Re: Deep Blue Sea

I remember seeing this years ago on Pay-Per-View and remember digging it.

Wow it has been a while since I saw this film. I remember enjoying it when I watched it and bought it on DVD a few years ago. I need to break this one out again and give it a watch.
    THE forum's Sexy One

One of my favorite "science gone wild" flicks, also the last movie that I saw directed by Rennie Harlan that I really enjoyed. This one I put right up there with the first JAWS to tell the truth. Then to add to the festivities you also have to include Trevor Rabine's excellent score which really adds to the flick's impact. And much like 1988's THE BLOB, the film has that whole, "nobody's safe" vibe in it. Especially with

Samuel "One Bad Motherfucker" Jackson's surprise death scene, where after the one shark nabs him. Another right after joins it ,and pulls him apart like a tootsie pop. Also fans of Kevin Smith, might remember in the very short-lived Clerks animated series. That everytime Mr. Jackson showed up, a shark would immediatly appear ,and snatch him away.

"Of course you'll have a bad impression of New York if you only focus on the pimps and the C.H.U.D.S."-Marge Simpson

But you can just call me Fonz CanadianFonzie's Avatar

I've seen this movie numerously on TBS and every time I really enjoyed it, it's the kind of movie that I hae to finish once I start it
    Here I Go Again On My Own, Goin' Down The Only Road I've Ever Known, Like A Drifter I Was Born To Walk Alone
    The Bear Family - Mr. Undertaker, girlychaos, CanadianFonzie, Wheatjedi, Joshg, aerokissfloyd, Peter Baker-
    Member of Killa's Crew 2.0

America: Wake up and grow up! Grizzlyman's Avatar

I did think that the shark bitting off Stellan Skarsgaard's arm scene was pretty intense, and maybe seeing Saffron Burrows drenched from water in her bra and underwear was quite hot, but other than that it was not a shark movie that I really got into for some reason. I remember this came out right around the same time as Steve Miner's Lake Placid, and that one I did enjoy if only for the dark comedy.

I will say however, that Deep Blue Sea was slightly more enjoyable, and similar in some aspects to Sean Cunningham's 1989 underwater dud "Deep Star Six".

I found it very enjoyable as a peice of mindless cheese. Sharks are scary, and this film used them well and had some effective moments including THAT twist.

- Scarecrow

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlyman View Post
    Saffron Burrows drenched from water in her bra and underwear
    best part of the movie
    Here I Go Again On My Own, Goin' Down The Only Road I've Ever Known, Like A Drifter I Was Born To Walk Alone
    The Bear Family - Mr. Undertaker, girlychaos, CanadianFonzie, Wheatjedi, Joshg, aerokissfloyd, Peter Baker-

Signing Off... Deranged Psychopath Chex's Avatar

I can't remember, but did Renny Harlin find a way to make a shark explode? Possibly explode while in an explosion?
    But Jamie's character in The Fog was really easy wasn't she? Get in my truck and get in my bed - in that order.
    -Tom Atkins

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlyman View Post
    I remember this came out right around the same time as Steve Miner's Lake Placid, and that one I did enjoy if only for the dark comedy.

I will say however, that Deep Blue Sea was slightly more enjoyable, and similar in some aspects to Sean Cunningham's 1989 underwater dud "Deep Star Six".
    Deep Star Six ...haven't seen that in years. if i remember it wasn't that awful. Miguel Ferrer and Greg "My two dads" Evigan starred i believe.

Lake Placid - Now theres a cracking film. So much better than Lake Placid 2, which, incidentally is one of the worst movies i have ever seen.

Deep Blue Sea - Excellent film. Jacksons death was a bit of a shock. Got this one and Lake Placid on DVD.
    _Baker's Dozen_

Quote Originally Posted by Chex View Post
    I can't remember, but did Renny Harlin find a way to make a shark explode? Possibly explode while in an explosion?
    It's been a while since I've seen it, but I'm pretty sure that they did, in fact, use an explosion to kill the shark. Renny wouldn't have it any other way.

Oh, the Horror! - All Decades, All Sub-Genres!

Balls Academy - Your Alma mater for teen films, raunchy, low-brow comedies, sexploitation & coming of age dramas.
    EFilmCritic - reviews of everything else

Not just one but two of the sharks are exploded.

Renny to Spielberg: "Take dat, muthafucka!"

Oh, the Horror! - All Decades, All Sub-Genres!

Balls Academy - Your Alma mater for teen films, raunchy, low-brow comedies, sexploitation & coming of age dramas.
    EFilmCritic - reviews of everything else

The one problem with this movie is that we never find out all the secrets to the perfect omelette. We know it's a mistake to add milk for density, but that's all.

I really like this movie. I like most of the movies that Thomas Jane is in and this is no exception.

Interesting take on why the sharks are "hunting" them instead of just making them go after a certain group of people for revenge (yeppers, I'm looking at you, Jaws 4 ).

I really like LL Cool J's character in it too. Pretty entertaining movie overall.
    Too grey to be pink sometimes, but I manage

First female member of Killa's Crew 3
    Muffin Friends / _Baker's Dozen_ /
    The Bear Family

Haven't seen it but want to check it out one of these days.
    I know that over the, uh, the last several months I've lost a lot of things and one of them has been my smile.

So Renny's guide to making a great shark film:

Explosions

Have the sharks explode (key element)

Have LL Cool J rap about sharks during the end credits.

Let's be honest, we all went to see Deep Blue Sea just for the third point.
    But Jamie's character in The Fog was really easy wasn't she? Get in my truck and get in my bed - in that order.
    -Tom Atkins

Quote Originally Posted by missingmachete View Post
    Not just one but two of the sharks are exploded.
    and I remember the second sharks remains endlessly fell from the sky, that was awesome, a rainshower of blown up shark

To be fair, Shark explosions are hardly something new.... Jaws anyone?
    Which is why Renny's a genius...exploding sharks exploding within an explosion of an explosion! With LL rapping later, of course.
    -Tom Atkins

OMG! Hello Kitty iz teh hawtz! Evil Overlord Esten's Avatar

Which is why Renny's a genius...exploding sharks exploding within an explosion of an explosion! With LL rapping later, of course.
    Throw in a parrot sitting on LL's shoulder, and that's Deep Blue Sea in a nutshell.
    "You've got to look for some bootlegs out there." ~ Robert Englund
    "Only emptiness remains. It replaces all... all the pain. Step by step. Heart to heart. Left right left. We all fall down... like Toy Soldiers." ~ Freddy Krueger - 1984-2003. Rest in peace.

Imagine if the parrot rapped with LL during the credits! Do you think people were ready for such a thing back then?
    -Tom Atkins

deepest bluest
    my hat is like a shark's fin

OMG! Hello Kitty iz teh hawtz! Evil Overlord Esten's Avatar

Imagine if the parrot rapped with LL during the credits! Do you think people were ready for such a thing back then?
    "Are You Ready... For Parrot?" by LL Cool J, The Fat Boys and The Parrot.
    "You've got to look for some bootlegs out there." ~ Robert Englund
    "Only emptiness remains. It replaces all... all the pain. Step by step. Heart to heart. Left right left. We all fall down... like Toy Soldiers." ~ Freddy Krueger - 1984-2003. Rest in peace.

goddamn it.

Don't make me spew water everywhere.