Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920

Thread: Blu-Ray/Next Gen DVD Discussion

Blog Entries

Default Re: Blu-Ray/Next Gen DVD Discussion

Now that 4K TV is here, when are we going to see a new movie format/player?

Not much to support it at the moment. I really want to get one, but what's the point if you don't have anything to take advantage of the technology?

ADDED:
    4k Blu-Ray may be coming out next year:
    http://www.cnet.com/news/4k-blu-ray-...reaming-media/

DVD: 1997, BD: 2006, 4K BD: 2015?

Looks like streaming may be the way forward, though. We'll see. 4k tv, 4k player, and ??? for each movie?

Last edited by Monkey; 11-11-2014 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Double Post Merged

Nutrition free since '93! Forum Staff Comfy Jeans's Avatar

The PS4 supports 4K video, so when the new format hits, those with PS4s will be ready. But honestly, I don't think a traditional 1080p TV stands to gain anything from 4K video. I think you'd need an extremely massive TV to notice a significant difference -- or multiple displays -- but I could be wrong. I've never seen the format in action.

Streaming and digital downloads may be the way of the future, but we're not there yet. There are still too many people with low-speed internet or crippling data restrictions (I wouldn't even be able to steam a single regular blu-ray movie without locking my bandwidth for the month), and the whole net neutrality situation has the potential to further hamstring digital distribution.

Blog Entries

Curious to see the way forward with 4K. Unless you're really searching for it, there's no buzz on HD BD and/or 4K tvs. I see the 4Ks for sale occasionally; right now there is zero support for it other than a couple of Korean Ultra High Def broadcasts and a couple of demo discs at best buy (saw a demo of a train going through the country; I felt like I was looking through a window... I CAN see a difference).

I personally would love to own Tron: Legacy, or The Thing (82) on HD BD playing on a 70" 4K TV.
    “How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.”

Blog Entries

Ultra HD Blu-Ray will be available by the end of the summer. Curious to see what kind of movies will be available. PS4 & Xbox One supporting this? I don't think so. Both consoles can supposedly support 4K, but at what frame rates?

Anyways, I'm curious to see the displays & movies at best buy, etc. However, will the format (TV, Player, & discs) live long enough to see a price point that consumers can afford and therefore keep it viable? $5000 for a tv? $600 for a player... and no price point for the movies ($25-40?). Wait and see.

Blog Entries

It's official. The 4K/Ultra Blu-Ray movies will be available March 1st. 4 times the resolution of blu-ray requiring 4K TVs and players. PS4 and Xbone won't handle 4K streaming. The 4K tvs aren't priced very high, players are fairly cheap as well. I'm not going to convert any time soon, though. Do we still call 1080p high resolution now that it's become standard resolution, standard tvs are obsolete, and 4k is the new high resolution?

The Martian. Coming soon to 4K and low resolution high resolution blu ray players...

Dang. Resolution is going to get so high that someday we'll be able to actually see the atoms that make up everything on screen swirling around while we watch the movie.

Blog Entries

For $133,000 you can get an 8K television. 16 times the resolution of 1080p and 4 times the resolution of 4K. I'm not sure the human eye can detect anything much greater than 8K resolution, that's probably the limit of what we'll see.

I'm not sure how successful 4K will be given 3 different formats. When blu-ray was introduced, VHS was already dead. DVD is still here and is the standard.

ADDED:
    Also, there will probably less adapters of the new tech than previous generations. I would watch south park on netflix (when they still had the show) because it was faster than popping in the dvds. I have watched standard def versions of movies I've owned on blu-ray for the same reason. To be honest, dvds are still groovy. Blu-ray is sweet when the transfer is good, but there's nothing wrong with old school stuff.

Last edited by Monkey; 01-25-2016 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Double Post Merged

Put it this way: I bought HD-DVD and Blu-ray pretty much immediately. I am not even entertaining the notion of 4K right now because I cannot imagine it will catch on.

Oh, the Horror! - All Decades, All Sub-Genres!

Balls Academy - Your Alma mater for teen films, raunchy, low-brow comedies, sexploitation & coming of age dramas.
    EFilmCritic - reviews of everything else

Blog Entries

Considering DVDs are still king and blu-ray is only 30% of the market.... 9 years after release, is also a telling sign. I love the upgrade, I love the realism, but honestly, the average consumer isn't that concerned either.

I do believe 4K will eventually catch on and at the very least will > 3D. Not in a tremendous market share but at least viable enough to remain a format and option.

The Party Never Stops CosmoBubba's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
    Considering DVDs are still king and blu-ray is only 30% of the market.... 9 years after release, is also a telling sign.
    Well, that's the fault of the studios for not phasing out regular DVDs completely and making Blu-ray the new standard.
    "Now I'd like two eggs, over hard. I know, don't tell me; it's hard on the arteries, but old habits die hard, just about as hard as I want those eggs. Bacon, super-crispy. Almost burned. Cremated. That's great. And, I'll have the grapefruit juice, just as long as those grapefruits are freshly squeezed."

They're not going to phase out something makes them a ton of money.

Oh, the Horror! - All Decades, All Sub-Genres!

Balls Academy - Your Alma mater for teen films, raunchy, low-brow comedies, sexploitation & coming of age dramas.
    EFilmCritic - reviews of everything else

I will make it because I dream Westin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My prediction is that all physical media (DVD, BD, etc) will become extinct.

Movies will be bought online in the highest possible definition.
    "Where the hell am I supposed to find silver bullets? K-mart?"
    --The Monster Squad

Modern horror doesn't impress me much.
    Kindly put on your rose-tinted glasses before reading my posts.

It looks like that,20th century Fox,have discontinued all physical releases of the Simpsons,but to be honest I prefer having a physical copies of movies and tv shows.

Blog Entries

I look at my DVDs, and while I love them, I think they occupy so much space.

If I buy a DVD nowadays, then it has to be a really awesome movie or TV show.

I feel like I have seen everything, though.
    --The Monster Squad

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by craven View Post
    It looks like that,20th century Fox,have discontinued all physical releases of the Simpsons,but to be honest I prefer having a physical copies of movies and tv shows.
    I bought my first season of Simpsons on DVD back in 2001. It feels like yesterday.

It looks like they're bringing them back on DVD for now. They should probably do a complete series whenever they stop making them.... a final set would be a hell of a lot of DVDs.

Also... as much as I'd like 4k (little desire now, actually)... about two years later it's still a tiny, niche market. I know people that own 4k TVs but no 4k player. Still using DVD, Blu-Ray, and Digital. Blu-Ray's picture and sound is still impressive, still beautiful, IMO. Maybe with the release of the XBOXONEX, the 4k movie market will see a steady increase in sales.

Blog Entries

Subscribed to NETFLIX and quite frankly I don't plan on buying any DVD again. Ever. Lots of options. 10 bucks a month.

The exception will be if there is a new tv show or movie I want to watch; in that case, I will buy the digital version from iTunes.

My collection of over 200 DVDs will continue existing, but will remain as a memory.
    --The Monster Squad