Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Blu-Ray/Next Gen DVD Discussion

Default Blu-Ray/Next Gen DVD Discussion

[Previous Thread]

Criterion announces Blu-ray support.

I'll be picking up The Third Man and Contempt for sure. I'm happy that the MSRPs are expected to match the standard def offerings because Criterion is expensive enough as it is.
    Last edited by Comfy Jeans; 05-26-2008 at 09:51 PM. Reason: New thread.

Oh, the Horror! - All Decades, All Sub-Genres!

Balls Academy - Your Alma mater for teen films, raunchy, low-brow comedies, sexploitation & coming of age dramas.
    EFilmCritic - reviews of everything else

Default Re: The Blu-ray/HD DVD Thread (Blu-ray sweeps the board)

Well, after searching around for a back-up HD-DVD player for a few weeks, I stumbled across a Toshiba A2 for $60 at Wal-Mart yesterday. Not bad at all, considering that's a twelfth of the price I paid for my A1. Still, it's good to have a back-up just in case.

Balls Academy - Your Alma mater for teen films, raunchy, low-brow comedies, sexploitation & coming of age dramas.

Who I am is not important... Biosynthnut v.2's Avatar

Walmarts have expanded their blu Ray sections between 8ft and 4ft for endcap in most stores. So as far as my store we have a nice selection....yet it's still lacking on new/reissue catalog releases.... Which pisses me off.

Beetlejuice comes out Spt.16th. 20th anv. ed. Includes 3 of the spin off cartoons.

And... TRANSFORMERS comes out on Bluray on Spt.2nd!
    Last edited by Biosynthnut v.2; 05-26-2008 at 11:24 AM.
    Hudson: Well that's great, that's just fuckin' great, man. Now what the fuck are we supposed to do? We're in some real pretty shit now man...
    Meat + Fire = Yum.

Yeah, my Wal-Mart has done the same thing. They've got a lot of the old Paramount BDs that have been put back into print.

Default Re: Blu-Ray/Next Gen DVD Discussion

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) Coming September 30th

Dark Sky Films has announced that they will release the horror classic 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre' for Blu-ray on September 30th. Full specs for the release are still forthcoming, but word has trickled down that the release will include never before seen bonus features. We expect to hear more details about this release as the street date gets closer.
    Awesome news as long as the sound issues from the previous DVD are fixed.

And with New Line/Warners in the Blu-ray game and a Friday the 13th film in the works, maybe it won't be much longer until Freddy and Jason join Michael and Leatherface.

I heard about TCM yesterday. As long as it looks decent, I'll buy it. I'm not expecting it to light the world on fire so yeah.

The Lost Boys to Arrive on Blu-ray

Awesome news right there. Even if the sequel sucks, at least we got this as a result.

Nutrition free since '93! Forum Staff Comfy Jeans's Avatar

If they do start releasing Friday the 13th films on Blu-ray, I hope to god they use a cleaner print of Part 3 than was used for the DVD box set.

I agree with that 100%. Hopefully Paramount will release Blu-ray's of the first 8 'Friday's' soon.

I actually typed out a letter to Paramount concerning this and am going to mail it off today. Maybe we could all do that......like we did for the boxset.

If we get anything in the way of Friday the 13th, I'd reckon it's still quite a ways off. I can see them releasing something (some, maybe all 8) when the new one comes out on video sometime next summer or fall.

And, on the subject of Friday 3, given Paramount's tendancy to DVNR everything to death, I figure all the Friday films will look too clean actually. They can remove the scratches and shit, but they'd better leave the grain in.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see one or two this year but I wouldn't expect the first 8 all at once.

Who I am is not important... Biosynthnut v.2's Avatar

Maybe in time for Halloween.....

Also Uni is prepping BACK TO THE MOTHER FUCKN FUTURE on blu ray for sometime this year or early next year!!!
    Hudson: Well that's great, that's just fuckin' great, man. Now what the fuck are we supposed to do? We're in some real pretty shit now man...
    Meat + Fire = Yum.

Hi-Def Digest is reporting FOX will be releasing the first 3 Omen films this September on Blu-ray. I am ecstatic about this as I have been wanting the originals on Blu-ray for a while now but, what the fuck about Omen IV? It's not THAT great but I still want it anyway. The remake is already out. It's a shitty movie and it sucks bad. Omen IV should have been in the boxset and not the remake.

FOX...come out of the fog. Idiots.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...September/1801

That, and they're apparently not releasing the sequels separately, which is a problem for those of us that already have the remake. I don't want to have to buy a box set with a film I already have just to get 2 others. Shoulda been part 4 instead. Oh well, I guess I'll just buy the first one by itself.

Yea and I'm sure you we will be able to get Omen II and Omen III on eBay seperately. I hate it when studios do that....release sequels "available in boxset only" shit. If it would be the first 4 movies, then yea, I would love to buy the boxset. But, as you said, I already have the remake also so there is no point in paying that much for something when it's not complete to begin with.

On topic of Friday the 13th, Paramount better not put two movies on one disc. I do not want to watch over-compressed shit.

I can go either way on that. If they just put two films with each getting a lossless soundtrack, they should still easily fit on a BD-50 with no issues. They can just stick the special features on a bonus disc. I wouldn't mind this because it would keep the cost down. I mean, the Dirty Harry set is 5 discs and is going for around $80-90. For an 8 or 9 disc set, you're looking at close to $200. The only thing I don't like about the 2 movies per disc setup is the fact that each film won't get its own box, but we all know Paramount is going to use shitty cover art anyway, so saving $100 looks great by comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dream Master View Post
    Shoulda been part 4 instead.
    The fourth film is a 17 year old TV movie, isn't it? They might be having problems securing a film print that's in the proper condition for an HD transfer. The studio that produced the film may only have a video tape master left.

It is, Jeans. I thought it might have been shot on video (which would explain its absence), but IMDB indicates that it was shot on 35mm (and I remember my DVD being quite film-like). I can't imagine that Fox doesn't have some elements sitting around somewhere. Oh well. I'm more miffed that the sequels aren't being released separately because I honestly don't need part 4 in HD. I'd like to have 2 and 3 on BD though.

The network would have created a video tape master from the 35mm print for use in broadcast and home distribution, and there's no telling what might have happened to that original 35mm print over the last 17 years. They may still have the 35mm print, but it could be damaged and beyond a reasonably budgeted restoration process.

Has anyone seen The Omen 4 on DVD? I know it's out, but I've never watched it and I don't know what the DVD's source was like. Wat kind of transfer did it get on DVD?

It's been a while since I watched it, but I remember it being adequate enough. I'm guessing it got the same treatment as the other three. On the subject of the sequels, I guess they're getting a new HD-remaster (I think the original got one with the last re-release).

Blog Entries

I'm not opposed to picking up a blu-ray player, as it is superior to the current DVD format and it will play regular DVDs.

For me, Blu-Ray movies are just too expensive at the moment to justify the (IMO) slight improvements. I've seen the Blu-Ray HD presentations on high-quality HDTVs at a local store and seriously question the claims made.

For example, whoever produced these presentations is knocking the sound quality of DVD. Hmmm, that's funny, because when DVDs were released everybody was talking about how spectacular the sound quality was. Now we're to beleive they were mistaken all this time? DVD sound is completely inferior to what Blu-Ray has to offer? Okay... Blu-ray may be better in that department, but it's not quite the leap the presenters are claiming it to be (I believe the presentation was created by Sony, but I'm not sure).

Finally, they were misrepresenting the video quality of DVD (lying). The disc presentation I watched on Blu-ray purposely blurred the video quality of "Pirates of the Carribean" for the supposed DVD footage. They presented video that is inferior to VHS quality when showing the DVD/Blu-ray side-by-side comparison... it was simply bullshit. If they're lying about the video quality and blowing the sound quality out of proportion... it's obviously not all that.

So, you can watch your Blu-ray movies on your HDTV. It's going to be better than what I have, but it's not going to change my mind in the near future. When they start selling blu-rays at the same (or closely to) the price point of current DVD releases, that's when I'll make the switch.

I'd like to see the Ultra HDTVs and HVD players. That is truly the next generation... I'm just afraid we won't see that for another 10 years (and they've bled Blu-ray for all they can.)
    “How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.”

I imagine the DVD quality video you are seeing is what you would see on a HDTV without the dvd being upscaled to 1080P. In other words, DVD not upscaled would look terrible. Personally I can see a good enough difference between Blu-ray and DVD on my 32" HDTV. The DVD is upscaled and I still see the difference.

For the sound quality, the only real difference I notice, (and this is just my own personal experience) is that when people are speaking, I don't have to turn up the volume on my receiver to hear what they are saying. Take note that I am listening to HD audio (5.1 PCM, Dolby True HD, or DTS HD MA) and not regular Dolby Digital or regular DTS.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Loco View Post
    For the sound quality, the only real difference I notice, (and this is just my own personal experience) is that when people are speaking, I don't have to turn up the volume on my receiver to hear what they are saying. Take note that I am listening to HD audio (5.1 PCM, Dolby True HD, or DTS HD MA) and not regular Dolby Digital or regular DTS.
    Now that is a good selling point to me. I've had to crank up the sound just to hear what people are saying... only to get blasted by music or sound effects.

I won't hold off forever. Once the price comes down & the movie variety improves, I'll probably make the switch in a couple years. It might just be a case of 'you don't know what you're missing.'

I'm still upgrading my movie collection from VHS to DVD...
    “How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.”