32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

11 34.38%
  • No

21 65.63%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should the series have ended with F13 The Final Chapter

Default Should the series have ended with F13 The Final Chapter

In my own opinion the best movies of the series is F13 1-4. After F13 the final chapter the movies seemed to get worse and worse. None of them seemed to reach the level of the first four movies. So do you think that the series should of ended while it was still on top with the final chapter or are you glad that they kept on making them.

Default Re: Should the series of ended with F13 The Final Chapter

This question gets asked a lot, and I will always say no it should not have ended and should never end, IMHO.

The classic four set such a high standard within the series that it was near impossible for the next four to maintain the flame, a change had to happen and it did, for better or worse is up to you. I think the zombie years were necessary and helped to bring Jason into pop culture prominence.

Could they have been better films? Of course, and the same can be said of the original four as well (Well, Final Chapter is damn near perfect, no changes needed.)

But I'll say this, if you asked me should they have stopped at JGTH until the remake now, I'd say hell yes!

It's very hard for me to watch anything past Final Chapter. FVJ was o.k. but not my cup of tea. A New Beginning is also a fun flick to watch but for sure nothing past #5.

No parts 6,7 were good films also.

No, because I also enjoyed ANB, JL and TNB. I think JL or TNB would've been a good place to end the series for good.

Well, yes and no. Ideally I would have liked it to end with A New Beginning or maybe Jason Lives... but as a quality issue yes it should have. If it would have ended at The Final Chapter I am sure the franchise would have a better reputation as a "true" horror series.

I would have to say no because my ideal Friday the 13th series would be part 1,2,3,4 and 6. Theres alot of things about part 6 I really like. And I really like the Tommy Jarvis character, but I just don't like part 5 that much, and it's not because it isn't the real Jason. Well, Im lying, part of the reason is and the rest of them i just didnt care for...

No because I enjoyed each entry after The Final Chapter in one way or another. Yes, even Jason Takes Manhattan despite how much of a turd it is. It has some enjoyable aspects.
    I know that over the, uh, the last several months I've lost a lot of things and one of them has been my smile.

No it shouldn't have. I don't know why anyone would want to bypass 7 films so it could end at 4.
    Oh, the Horror! Reviews - Check out our ever-growing vault of theatrical and home video horror reviews! Now on Twitter!
    B.A.L.L.S. Academy - Your Alma mater for teen films, raunchy, low-brow comedies, sexploitation & coming of age dramas.

If they'd stopped at TFC, we never would have A New Beginning...

I voted no. I'm glad the series continued.

I never had a problem with the series leaning toward Jason being undead. Some of the films that followed TFC weren't good IMO, but I did enjoy some of them.
    The Killing Machine

Quote Originally Posted by Kane Lives View Post
    I voted no. I'm glad the series continued.

I never had a problem with the series leaning toward Jason being undead. Some of the films that followed TFC weren't good, but I did enjoy some of them.

My same sentiments. I've enjoyed Jason's evolution from human to undead, and have enjoyed most of his post-TFC adventures.

Most definitely not (IMO). I enjoy the series as a whole...of course a few of the movies aren't that great, but I'm still glad we have them.
    Too grey to be pink sometimes, but I manage

First female member of Killa's Crew 3
    Muffin Friends / _Baker's Dozen_ /
    The Bear Family

Worst case scenario, some of the movies you don't like you can always pretend don't exist or never happened in the canon. The last few installments have had ambiguous continuity, and probably largely for that reason.

This debate seems to come up a lot, and I fall in with everyone that says "no." I honestly don't think the series would be any more respected had it ended at The Final Chapter. If anything, it probably wouldn't be nearly as popular as it is today.

Oh, the Horror! - All Decades, All Sub-Genres!

Balls Academy - Your Alma mater for teen films, raunchy, low-brow comedies, sexploitation & coming of age dramas.
    EFilmCritic - reviews of everything else

Quote Originally Posted by Jigsaw View Post
    Worst case scenario, some of the movies you don't like you can always pretend don't exist or never happened in the canon.
    It's not fans' call to decide what's canon and not. It's the films' call.

T.M.
    "HOOPER OUT!"

Nutrition free since '93! Forum Staff Comfy Jeans's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Tall Man View Post
    Unless you're talking about Doctor Who canon. In which case, the BBC is perfectly pleased to sit back and watch fandom chew each other up like yesterday's bubblegum over what is canon (the TV show, the audio dramas, the novels, the webcasts, the comics strips, the comic books, the annuals, the storybooks, the collectible card game, et cetera) and what is not.

Sometimes, I do wish the Corporation would take a hard line on the issue of canon and stop the madness within fandom.

In comparison, the Friday the 13th franchise has positively simple canonical/continuity issues. I already find myself wondering who will discard the remake from the series canon and who will try to fit it into the previous franchise's time line. If the Dunes gives me so much as an inch to work with, I'm liable to work it into the original franchise time line myself.

strikes like Thunderball Forum Staff Cody's Avatar

No, it's all been fun. I wouldn't be the person I am today without the existance of every F13/Jason movie.
    Life Between Frames: Filmmaking & film appreciation blog. Guest contributors welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by The Tall Man View Post

T.M.
    Yeah, unless Steve Miner is involved, then it's acceptable to ignore his bullshit.

Balls Academy - Your Alma mater for teen films, raunchy, low-brow comedies, sexploitation & coming of age dramas.

Default Re: Should the series have ended with F13 The Final Chapter

Although I did enjoy some of the films that came out after, on a whole, I think if The Final Chapter really was the last one, the Friday the 13th series would be looked upon more much seriously as a horror film series.

It's not fans' call to decide what's canon and not. It's the films' call
    That's not true. You can ignore or believe/disbelieve whatever you want.
    _baker's dozen_ & MaDMaNMaRz'S Metal Militia

There's a legend around here, a killer buried, but not dead!

By "being looked upon as a more serious horror series," are you guys talking about the general public? Because I don't think that'd be the case at all, as I don't think there are many horror series that are "looked upon seriously."

And when it comes to canon, sure, you can try to disbelieve anything you want, but it's really the equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears, closing your eyes, and saying "I'm not listening." The story as set down by the films is the story, and this whole idea of creatively ignoring things to satisfy fans doesn't sit well with me. I mean, you wouldn't read Romeo and Juliet and say "I don't like that they killed themselves at the end, so I'm going to ignore that," would you?
    Last edited by The Dream Master; 04-27-2008 at 06:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dream Master View Post
    And when it comes to canon, sure, you can try to disbelieve anything you want, but it's really the equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears, closing your eyes, and saying "I'm not listening."
    See? This is why I need DM to get my point across. He speaks so much more eloquently than I. My equivilent response included a lot of swearing and insults.

T.M.
    "HOOPER OUT!"

Quote Originally Posted by The Dream Master View Post
    Yeah, unless Steve Miner is involved, then it's acceptable to ignore his bullshit.
    Bah.

I don't know if I'd really be bothered if they'd ended the series early. Most of the later sequels are amusing, but there's something they lack that I can't put my finger on.

The post-TFC sequels don't have the "pick up where the last left off" feeling Parts 2-4 have, where the next sequel literally occured right after the ending of the previous installment. It's not really bothersome for me, but there's some continuity issues that could've been cleared up.

Nothing beats the first four F13's. ANB could have been better, but atleast it's a real sequel.

I used to love Jason Lives, but somehow its harder to watch them now.. I can't watch The New Blood, JTM, Freddy vs. Jason or Jason X. They have cool kills, nice effects and such but they don't have the mystery of the first four.
    JGTH is nice to watch, becuase the movie has a certain quality. Great charachters and a nice storyline... but it doesn't fit in the F13 saga.
    The New Blood is just silly and gets boring.. also the new music in this one is really bad. Sure Jason looks great... but it's a non-scary movie. And the whole Tina thing and the way Crystal Lake looks is just bad. JTM and JX are watchable, but not great. JX somehowlooks cheap if I watch it now...
    FvsJ is the worst of them, almost everything about this is bad.

My list at the moment from best to worst: 1, 4, 2, 3, 5, 9, 6, 8, X, 7, FvsJ
    Jason Conquers | YouTube Friday the 13th Channel
    "We ain't gonna stand for no weirdness out here..."