Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Venom (Spider-Man spin-off)

Signing Off... Deranged Psychopath Chex's Avatar

Default Venom (Spider-Man spin-off)

Venom fans rejoice, Marvel is moving forward with a new stand alone film, yep you heard right, Venom is coming back to the big screen. We’ve confirmed that “the studio” has met recently with several “A list writers” about a spin-off film.

Eight years ago, New Line Cinema held the theatrical rights to Venom. Since then, the rights have reverted back Marvel. But does Sony have complete control over the character since he was a part of Spidey 3 or does Marvel control the rights to the character with Sony only having distribution rights? We have to assume that since there is movement and there has been recent meetings with writers this property must belong to Marvel since they have made an interim agreement with the WGA and proceed to develop projects during the current strike. Either way, one thing is for certain, Venom will get a second shot at the big screen.
    Source

No word on Tophar Grace coming back.
    But Jamie's character in The Fog was really easy wasn't she? Get in my truck and get in my bed - in that order.
    -Tom Atkins

Default Re: Possible Venom solo film

Yeah, I saw this the other day. I guess this will satisfy all those Venom fanboys who thought he didn't get enough time in Spider-Man 3. I'll watch it, especially if Topher comes back. I'm not sure how they'd pull that off, though.

Oh, the Horror! - All Decades, All Sub-Genres!

Balls Academy - Your Alma mater for teen films, raunchy, low-brow comedies, sexploitation & coming of age dramas.
    EFilmCritic - reviews of everything else

I wonder which Venom gets the symbiote.

I believe that Dr. Connors still had some left in his lab.

Signing Off... Deranged Psychopath Chex's Avatar

Honestly, I really couldn't care much about the film as the character itself never was anything special. Yeah, he was interesting during his first two appearances, but after that he sorta floundered as this "I'm an anti-hero/lethal protector" mess due to the company wanting to keep him around.
    But Jamie's character in The Fog was really easy wasn't she? Get in my truck and get in my bed - in that order.
    -Tom Atkins

Quote Originally Posted by Chex View Post
    Honestly, I really couldn't care much about the film as the character itself never was anything special. Yeah, he was interesting during his first two appearances, but after that he sorta floundered as this "I'm an anti-hero/lethal protector" mess due to the company wanting to keep him around.
    Chex, that's why I say Venom really wasn't that short-changed in Spider-Man 3. What else would you have him do besides go around talking about how much he hates Peter/Spider-Man?

Like I said, I'll watch a solo flick, but it's not exactly at the top of my list of Marvel properties that I'd like to see adapted.

Oh, the Horror! - All Decades, All Sub-Genres!

Balls Academy - Your Alma mater for teen films, raunchy, low-brow comedies, sexploitation & coming of age dramas.
    EFilmCritic - reviews of everything else

I'd like to see a solo Venom film, especially if the next installment of the Spider-Man series isn't to feature him ever again. If they can add Carnage in there it's even better.

Y'know, I have most (if not all) of the Venom mini-series from Lethal Protector, to the one with The Punisher (Funeral Pyre?), The Madness (w/ Juggernaut), etc. and they all have one thing in common: They sucked. Lethal Protector was alright, but that became more of Spiderman mini-series anyway, and to me, that says a lot. Venom doesn't work well as anti-hero or without Spidey IMO. He's great as a recurring villain (though gotta agree with Dream Master, but then again, which one of his rogues gallery DOESN'T go on & on about how they hate the webhead? ), he's a great visual (no denying that!), but it pretty much ends there.

And after SM3, who could really give a shit about Eddie Brock? He came off as a complete & total douche, and any solo Venom story would obviously have to incorporate him, so it'll take a damn fine writer to be able to take that character and turn him into someone interesting, with greater depth than a puddle, and make him engaging, easy to relate to, and even remotely likable. Besides, wasn't he dead at the end of SM3? Starting new, like that never happened, would be like remaking ANOES without Robert Englund..... (not to mention the fact that they'd have to come up with a completely new, un-Spiderman related origin for him)
    Inquire about Hockey Mask specials for F13 Forum Members!
    '09 Jackets HALF OFF (Only $75) until July 4th!
    "I don't have pet peeves, I have psychotic f*cking hatreds"
    www.Frightstuff.com/frightforum
    http://www.myspace.com/decaynyfx

I'd watch a Venom movie. I'm not very excited about it, but I'd watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jigsaw View Post
    If they can add Carnage in there it's even better.
    I completely agree.
    Woman: Thank you! Thank you! That thing was gonna kill me! -- Spike: Well what do you expect? Out alone in this neighborhood? I got half a mind to kill you myself you half-wit! -- Woman: What? -- Spike: I mean honestly, what kind of retard wears heels in a dark alley? Take two steps break your bloody ankle. -- Woman: I was just trying to get home! -- Spike: Well get a cab you moron! And on the way if a stranger offers you candy, dont get in the van! Stupid cow.____________________________Member of the Quintuple B's Club

Sony Eyeing Spider-Man Spinoff

Sony is moving forward with Venom, a potential "Spider-Man" spinoff, says The Hollywood Reporter.

The trade says the studio is developing the project, based on the villain who appeared in Spider-Man 3 and is hoping the character could serve as an antidote to the aging "Spider-Man" franchise in the way that Fox has used Wolverine to add longevity to its "X-Men" franchise.

The studio had commissioned a draft of the script from Jacob Estes (Mean Creek), but the studio is considering going in a different direction from Estes' script and is seeking writers for a new draft.

Casting also is no simple matter. Topher Grace played the character in the film, but agents have been eyeing the role for their clients, as Sony is not yet convinced the actor can carry a tentpole picture.

The Hollywood Reporter adds that neither Sony nor Marvel would comment for the story.

Sony is also still developing a fourth "Spider-Man" film for 2011.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/sp...ws.php?id=7557

I can't see Eddie Brock as shown in Sm3 as even an anti-hero. The guy was boreder line psychopath and a stalker. he goe son one date and thinks he's dtaing somone, and lies and cheats, wants to kill Peter, the guy is unhinged in the film with little grip on reality.

- Scarecrow

I hope they have Carnage. I don't know too much about the Venim character to be able to tell how the film will be but, maybe it'll be good?
    Solution. Dissolution.

Follow me on Twitter: @danclyons

Proud Father and Husband! Forum Staff TheShowstoppa's Avatar

I would assume that Carnage is a NO. All the fanboys want it, but realistically I highly doubt it happens.
    2012 NFL Playoff Challenge Champion
    "The greatest accomplishment I can think of is seeing my child tell me they love me and knowing they mean it.

strikes like Thunderball Forum Staff Cody's Avatar

Default Re: Venom solo film

Reese and Wernick on the Venom Spin-Off

A few weeks back, ComingSoon.net/Superhero Hype! had the privilege of visiting the set of Sony's upcoming horror comedy Zombieland, starring Woody Harrelson, Jesse Eisenberg, Emma Stone and Abigail Breslin. While we can't talk just yet about what we saw, we did get to spend a good 45 minutes with the film's co-writers and executive producers, Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick, both cool guys who are clearly fans of genre. With that in mind, it was exciting to know they were working on the first draft for Sony's planned "Spider-Man" spin-off movie Venom, and we had to try to get in a few questions about that.

The duo actually went to Sony with a pitch for their take for the popular Spidey villain, but couldn't really say too much about it due to the usual non-disclosure agreements anyone involved with such a high profile project for Marvel would probably have to sign.

"Venom is something that we're very fired up to be writing," Reese told us. "We have turned in a draft and are waiting to hear back, so it's early in the process. But it's a thrill to be writing 'Venom' for obvious reasons."

As far as what they looking for, Reese did say that they had to follow "certain parameters" or the "47 rules" as Wernick called them.

"Obviously, with a character like Venom there's a ton of stuff to draw from," Reese told us. "Then they had specific rules about the villain and the backstory and stuff like that, so there were certain things they wanted us... certain parameters they gave us. But largely we pitched them something and they liked it but they had changes, so we worked on the outline for a long time and then we wrote the script. So with Marvel and Sony and us it's definitely very, very collaborative."

They couldn't talk about whether they were going to ignore everything that happened with the character in Spider-Man 3 or start fresh for reasons mentioned above.
    Life Between Frames: Filmmaking & film appreciation blog. Guest contributors welcome!

Lets hope they ignore Spider-man 3.

Quote Originally Posted by TheShowstoppa View Post
    I would assume that Carnage is a NO. All the fanboys want it, but realistically I highly doubt it happens.
    For a Venom solo film? I think the opposite! For a Spider-Man film, I agree that's a big no, but for a Venom solo film, where Venom will have to be the anti-hero, who's going to be the villain? I think Carnage is a shoe-in for a solo film.
    "Smoke me a kipper; I'll be back for breakfast."

Proud Father and Husband! Forum Staff TheShowstoppa's Avatar

When Venom did his first Spin-off comic in the 90's, I felt like they were rebooting the character as he was a hero then. I can't remember very much, but he definitely found out in the issue that I had that there were more Symbiotes out there, which I would imagine they were bringing in Carnage, but it wasn't his first line of villians. Like I said, I don't remember very much, but I know that Carnage had yet to be in there.

Anyone remember the game Separation Anxiety for the Super Nintendo and Sega Genisis? Well, I think that doing some sort of spin off of that game would work very well, minus the fact that they don't have Spider-Man in it. Sadness.
    2012 NFL Playoff Challenge Champion
    "The greatest accomplishment I can think of is seeing my child tell me they love me and knowing they mean it.

It was after "Carnage: Savage Genesis", that Marvel began thinking about giving Venom his own spinoff in the form of a mini-series. In a two part story that celebrated the first issue of Amazing Spider-Man, Venom and Spidey agreed to a truce with Eddie taking off for San Francisco, his home town. This took us into "Venom: Lethal Protector", where Eddie decided to apply his protection of innocence to others. In this story, Venom fights the Life Foundation to save the residents of old San Francisco who lived in the ruins of the city after it sank in 1906. During the arc, Venom was captured and several Symbiotes were created from his Symbiote, which were then bonded to a number of different people. A series of mini-series began, where Venom would dole out his harsh brand of justice. Later on following the four part Spider-Man story called "The Exiled Returns", Eddie and the Symbiote are beaten by the Scarlet Spider and are taken by a government team. This takes us to "Separation Anxiety", "Carnage Unleashed" and "Planet Of The Symbiotes" where Eddie and his other are separated with Eddie uncertain if he was the killer or if the Symbiote was influencing him negatively. The two would rebond at the end of POTS. By 1997, things were changing in the Spider-Man office as Marvel wanted to bring back his old rogues and that entailed having Venom be evil again. So with "Venom: Along Came A Spider" and "Venom: Finale", the truce was formally ended and Venom was once again hunting Spider-Man.
    Baker: "Joseph P. Brenner. What does the P stand for?"
    Kaminsky: "Pussy."

Venom #1 from Feb. '93 is one of my favorite comics of all time, I was really into spider man at that time and got 3 copies of that shit, 2 to keep in plastic and one to read. I still have one in plastic that i havent took out and touched since febuary of 93. I treasure that comic.

Update on the Venom Spinoff

In spin-off news, there has been talk of a “Venom” movie from Sony since 2008, but it is now official that they are moving forward with the film. Venom is one of the most popular villains in the Spider-Man franchise, and was played by Topher Grace in “Spider-Man 3.” The studio has hired “Zombieland” writers Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick to write the script. Details of course on on the “hush-hush” about the movie and script. But the word is that Sony and Marvel are not looking to bring back Topher Grace to play Venom again.
    http://www.reviewstl.com/spider-man-...enom-spin-off/

Im glad there not going to bring Topher back, as he just didnt fit the role of eddie brock in my opinion

I want you to take out your cell phones, text your friends, take a picture, shoot a video, send an email, call them all, & tell em that the sexy beast is back BABAAAYYY!!!!.

You taste like a burger The Rudd's Avatar

Topher was a TERRIBLE casting choice.

He's a really BAD actor.
    Baker's Dozen | Miller Timers | Pineapple Cult | The Rudd Reich | The Cult of Thorn | Harsh Corps | Joe Bob Briggs
    Formerly TheReaper666, Sean [The Wildcard]

Nutrition free since '93! Forum Staff Comfy Jeans's Avatar

Wouldn't Venom be doing his thing in Peter's home town? Surely Spider-Man would want to get involved at some point?

Just as long as they don't end up following some of the most ridiculous story lines that they had for Venom in the comics, then I'll be okay with it.

They've had a few Venoms so far. Eddie Brock, Mac Gargan (Scorpion), Eddie Brocks ex-wife, Patricia Robertson, and Angelo Fortunato. Hopefully they're smart and stick with Eddie Brock and totally let this be a stand a lone film with no affiliation to S3.
    Baker's Dozen | Miller Timers | Pineapple Cult | The Rudd Reich | The Cult of Thorn | Harsh Corps | Joe Bob Briggs

Quote Originally Posted by J.T. Jeans View Post
    Wouldn't Venom be doing his thing in Peter's home town? Surely Spider-Man would want to get involved at some point?
    In Venom's solo comics, he was stationed in San Fransisco. Could do the same here...
    "Smoke me a kipper; I'll be back for breakfast."

Quote Originally Posted by Alex DeLarge View Post
    For a Venom solo film? I think the opposite! For a Spider-Man film, I agree that's a big no, but for a Venom solo film, where Venom will have to be the anti-hero, who's going to be the villain? I think Carnage is a shoe-in for a solo film.
    I totally agree with this. I think it would be perfect. I would like to see the film take the same "tone" as the comic "Carnage: It's a Wonderful life." If I remember correctly, the tone of that comic was pretty...messed up.

I would also really like to see Robert Knepper take on the role of Cletus Cassidy. I think he'd be perfect for the role. As for Eddie Brock...I have no idea who would be a shoe-in for him.