Thanks Thanks:  1
Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars

Default Star Wars

Searched and didn't see a Star Wars thread, well with the exception of a TV series.

So tonight I was watched The Empire Strikes Back and every time Obiwan says Yoda trained him, I kept on thinking to myself "But Lucus, I thought Qui-Gon Jinn trained him!" I'll most likely take Yodas side as Empire Strikes Back came first obivously.
    Last edited by Deathscythe; 07-26-2008 at 07:33 AM.
    Welcome to prime time, bitch!
    F13 Community's Resident Dream Child fan

Dark Knight Admin Forum Staff BlakeTyner's Avatar

Default Re: Star Wars

Picard is not amused.

~Blake
    ~Blake

Proud fan of Temporarily Brave Chappelle

Haha Blake!!!

I'm a HUGE Star Wars fan!!!! In my eyes George Lucas can do no wrong; he provided my childhood with many, MANY great times and the memories of those days in the 70s and 80s almost makes my ol' heart well up inside. And I had a huge boner for Carrie Fisher during those days!!

The three newest episodes, although not anywhere close to the first ones released, are great movies and they are watched religiously around my house.
    If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

Member of Killa's Crew 2.0
    Member of Creature Of The Night Crew

Yoda trained Obi-wan first, then Qui-gon completed Obi-wan's training. In AOTC, this is made clear as we see Yoda training a group of Younglings known as the Mighty Bear Clan. Yoda trains all Younglings in the ways of the Force. Other Jedi teach basic education, piloting, healing and combat techniques during the first dozen years of their lives at the Temple. Around age 11, they start to qualify for training under a Knight or a Master. By age 13, there is the Master/Padawan relationship which goes until both the Master and the Council agree to let the Padawan take the Jedi trials. Once they've passed them successfully, the Padawan is made a Knight and moves up. This happens in their 20's. The Master/Padawan relationship deals with building experience in the feild, more than it does learning the ways of the Force. Learning how to function as we see in the PT.
    Baker: "Joseph P. Brenner. What does the P stand for?"
    Kaminsky: "Pussy."

Just bought a few more puzzles. I never get tired of looking out for SW swag.

BTW... my favorite Star Wars character HAS to be Luke Skywalker.

My favorite was Han Solo, althrough Samuel L. Jackson is always a badass.

It's just as well he died though... I don't think a cinema has been built that could withstand the combined cool of Samuel L. "motherfucker" Jackson and Darth "biggest badass in the galaxy" Vadar appearing on screen together.

- Scarecrow

I used to be really big into Star Wars when I was a teenager. I had all of the box sets released in the 1990s, numerous novels(some of which I bought when I was 16-17 & still haven't read), shirts, fake lightsabers, & I played the Star Wars Customizable Card Game(I sucked at it terribly).

I still love the series a great deal but I'm not into it as much as I used to be. My favourite episode will always be Return of the Jedi. I did enjoy the prequels but they do not hold a candle to the original trilogy.
    I know that over the, uh, the last several months I've lost a lot of things and one of them has been my smile.

I got back into it in 1998 when the hype for Episode 1 was building. I remembered how much the first three movies meant to me and I was drawn in again.

I've pretty much been a Star Wars fan for life. I can remember watching ROTJ when I was about three years old, and it all started from there. I've been collecting the Kenner/Hasbro stuff since the line launched back in '95. Needless to say, I've got a lot of plastic sitting around.

Oh, the Horror! - All Decades, All Sub-Genres!

Balls Academy - Your Alma mater for teen films, raunchy, low-brow comedies, sexploitation & coming of age dramas.
    EFilmCritic - reviews of everything else

I have one of those spaceships Anakin was in during The Phantom Menace. I spent a shit load of my summer in 1999 playing with that.

I remained a fan growing up, but it intensified once I started reading the EU in 1993.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dream Master View Post
    Needless to say, I've got a lot of plastic sitting around.
    Same over here. I have plans to develop a SW room in the basement once we do renovations down there. Everything's boxed up right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoesalesman View Post
    Same over here. I have plans to develop a SW room in the basement once we do renovations down there. Everything's boxed up right now.
    I'm planning on having an entire room dedicated to my Star Wars collection once I get my own house in a couple of years. Right now, my stuff is dispersed all throughout the house: some of the stuff is hanging on my bedroom walls, some of it's packed up in my closet, some of it's in a big pile in the corner of my room, alot of it is out in the garage, etc.

Balls Academy - Your Alma mater for teen films, raunchy, low-brow comedies, sexploitation & coming of age dramas.

So after all this time, and there's still not "Ultimate Super Duper" Box Set of all 6 films? Any reasons to this? Hell there's not even a set for the first 3! It doesn't bug me to much as I have the set of the originals as well as each of the new ones singally but I was one to almost put off waiting on buy ANY of the SW movies just because I thought or figured there would be a huge set released.

What's also surprising about it is given the record Fox/Lucas has on re-releasing these. Yea they kind of did it with the "Original Theatrical" versions and re-releasing those again but that's it. They could have just had all 6 movie's that is out currently and put those in one big set and everyone would ahve grabbed those up like nothing. THen a year later re-release it again with the theatricals and that would be the only way to get the theatrical releases would be in the huge uber set and still everyone would go get it (well the one's who liked the originals, I for one perfer the SE's way more then the originals but that's just me). Then say another year or 2 re-release the Super Uber Ultimate set of all 6 films with new packaging and maybe like an additional disc for each movie and STILL would get picked up like crazy.

But on one hand at least they didn't go and pull that crap lol but them SW fanboys would have complained and complained but still would have picked them up anyways. THat's why I'm surprised to given how many releases they did with them on VHS. Hell I was kind of one of them, but it was for the "New Mastered" ones with the ugly boxes, then shortly after that I got the SE's which those one's I really didn't like cause some of the graphics and CGI effects just was out of place. But then when they just re-did the SE's and made those alot better looking on DVD then that's when I re-got them again and plus because it was on DVD.

But still. Why no super set with all 6 films or even a set for the new 3??

A little while back my brother and I started discussing Darth Vader and we brought up some issues that I've been thinking about regarding him. In THE RISE OF DARTH VADER, they say that Vader's prosthetics and life support gear were inadequate. His artificial arms and legs were too big, made from inferior materials, and just plain didn't work as well as they could have. The mechanisms designed to augment his senses apparently didn't work as well as they could have either. His containment suit was bulky and combersome and didn't fit him very well, and combined with his helmet sometimes caused him to suffer moments of extreme claustrophobia. Plus, the sound that he made when he breathed in the helmet made it difficult for him to sleep before he created his hiperbaric chambers.

I find myself wondering why there Vader was having so much trouble with this stuff. Here are a few ideas that I've come up with:

First, I'm sure The Emperor was trying to save as much of Vader's organic body as he could. Remember, you need midi-chlorians to have a connection to The Force. The fewer you have the weaker your connection is. Vader already lost a great deal of his midi-chlorians when he was injured, The Emperor was surly trying to salvage as much as possible so that Vader could continue to be useful to him, and that may have led him to make compromises when rebuilding him, which led to a finished product that wasn't as good as it could have otherwise been.

Second, my brother and I suspect that The Emperor deliberately saddled Vader with these handicaps. There are two reasons why he might do this:

A) The Emperor wanted to keep Vader in a state of anger. Rage is an emotion that The Sith often focus on in order to tap into the The Dark Side of The Force. By keeping Vader angry and bitter, The Emperor may have hoped for him to be able to tap into greater ammounts of Dark Side power.

B) The Emperor may have given Vader these handicaps so that he would have to overcome them. Adversity can make us stronger. By putting these hurdles in front of Vader, The Emperor may have been hoping that he would overcome them and achieve whatever potential he still had left within him.

What do you think of these ideas guys?

I think Lucas is waiting to see what happens with Blu-Ray and HD-DVD, before committing to a Saga boxset. Just because the Saga is now in HD format, doesn't mean that he's quite ready yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Reaper
    First, I'm sure The Emperor was trying to save as much of Vader's organic body as he could. Remember, you need midi-chlorians to have a connection to The Force. The fewer you have the weaker your connection is. Vader already lost a great deal of his midi-chlorians when he was injured, The Emperor was surly trying to salvage as much as possible so that Vader could continue to be useful to him, and that may have led him to make compromises when rebuilding him, which led to a finished product that wasn't as good as it could have otherwise been.

Second, my brother and I suspect that The Emperor deliberately saddled Vader with these handicaps. There are two reasons why he might do this:

A) The Emperor wanted to keep Vader in a state of anger. Rage is an emotion that The Sith often focus on in order to tap into the The Dark Side of The Force. By keeping Vader angry and bitter, The Emperor may have hoped for him to be able to tap into greater ammounts of Dark Side power.

B) The Emperor may have given Vader these handicaps so that he would have to overcome them. Adversity can make us stronger. By putting these hurdles in front of Vader, The Emperor may have been hoping that he would overcome them and achieve whatever potential he still had left within him.

What do you think of these ideas guys?
    Nope. Vader's situation is the result of what happened on Mustafar and what will happen in "The Force Unleashed". Lucas also stated the deal with Vader and Palpatine from the conclusion of ROTS through where we are in ROTJ.

"Anakin, as Skywalker, as a human being, was going to be extremely powerful, but he ended up losing his arms and a leg and became partly a robot. So a lot of his ability to use the Force, a lot of his powers, are curbed at this point, because, as a living form, there’s not that much of him left. So his ability to be twice as good as the Emperor disappeared, and now he’s maybe 20 percent less than the Emperor. So that isn’t what the Emperor had in mind. He wanted this really super guy, but that got derailed by Obi-Wan. So he finds that, with Luke, he can get a more primo version if he can turn Luke to the Dark Side. You’ll see, as this goes on, Luke is faced with the same issues and practically the same scenes that Anakin is faced with. Anakin says yes and Luke says no."

--George Lucas, quoted in J. Windolf, “Star Wars: The Last Battle,” Vanity Fair, 2005

"At this point, Vader’s plan really, now that he knows he’s his son, is to convince him to come with him. Join the Dark Side and together they’re going to overthrow the Emperor, which is the thematic devices used through the whole movies in terms of the Sith, which is Sith Lords are usually no more than two because if there are three, then two of them will gang up on one to try to become the dominate Sith. Anakin would have been able to do it if he hadn’t been debilitated and now he’s half machine and half man, so he’s lost a lot of the power of the Force, and he’s lost a lot of his ability to be more powerful then the Emperor. But Luke hasn’t. Luke is Vader’s hope. His motives at this point are purely evil. He simply wants to continue on what he was doing before which is get rid of the Emperor and make himself Emperor. He only sees his son as a mechanism for the ambition. His mad lust of power."

--George Lucas, TESB DVD Commentary.

"And when he finds out Luke is his son, his first impulse is to figure out a way of getting him to join him to kill the Emperor. That's what Siths do! He tries it with anybody he thinks might be more powerful, which is what the Emperor was looking for in the first place: somebody who would be more powerful than he was and could help him rule the universe. But Obi-Wan screwed that up by cutting off his arms and legs and burning him up. From then on, he wasn't as strong as the Emperor -- he was like Darth Maul or Count Dooku. He wasn't what he was supposed to become. But the son could become that."

--George Lucas, Rolling Stones Interview, 2005.

"The Emperor wants Luke to kill Vader so that he will have a new young Jedi. Lets face it Vader is half mechanical and he is not half as good as he could be. He is not nearly as good as he was hoping Anakin would become because Anakin ends up in the suit. He is hoping he gets a new better apprentice in Luke. If he kills his father then he would take his place as an apprentice; which actually there is something that in the next film is how Anakin becomes his apprentice. There are a lot of things repeated in these movies. Fathers vs Sons."

--George Lucas, ROTJ DVD Commentary.

Initially, Palpatine believed that he could still get by despite the injuries. But as time went on, he realized that Vader would never be what he wanted prior to Mustafar. Thus when Vader suggested turning Luke, Palpatine decided that would be acceptable as he could have what he wanted in the first place.

Actually, there had been rumblings about a 30th Anniversary Box Set for the past couple of years, but Lucasfilm got all hush hush about it and never officially confirmed it. I'm thinking that the re-release probably didn't set the world on fire sales-wise so the mega box set got put on hold for a later release. Also, Lucasfilm probably put all their resources into the Young Indy release, too. There will be a saga box set eventually--Lucasfilm's history shows that they're very willing to re-release these over and over again. My guess is that we'll see it when/if the films are released back in theaters in 3D.

Last week, I watched all six films & my love for the series has returned. Well, I've always loved it but I'm really getting back into it. I may read all of those novels I bought years ago as well as reread some that I've already read.

And I started playing Star Wars Galaxies again after not playing for over 4 years.
    I know that over the, uh, the last several months I've lost a lot of things and one of them has been my smile.

I found some old SW bedsheets and pillowcases (original 1977) at the second hand store for $1.99. Fuck yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by Shoesalesman View Post
    I found some old SW bedsheets and pillowcases (original 1977) at the second hand store for $1.99. Fuck yeah!
    Great find! I'd love to find something like that for such a great price.

Nope. Vader's situation is the result of what happened on Mustafar and what will happen in "The Force Unleashed". Lucas also stated the deal with Vader and Palpatine from the conclusion of ROTS through where we are in ROTJ.

"Anakin, as Skywalker, as a human being, was going to be extremely powerful, but he ended up losing his arms and a leg and became partly a robot. So a lot of his ability to use the Force, a lot of his powers, are curbed at this point, because, as a living form, thereís not that much of him left. So his ability to be twice as good as the Emperor disappeared, and now heís maybe 20 percent less than the Emperor. So that isnít what the Emperor had in mind. He wanted this really super guy, but that got derailed by Obi-Wan. So he finds that, with Luke, he can get a more primo version if he can turn Luke to the Dark Side. Youíll see, as this goes on, Luke is faced with the same issues and practically the same scenes that Anakin is faced with. Anakin says yes and Luke says no."

--George Lucas, quoted in J. Windolf, ďStar Wars: The Last Battle,Ē Vanity Fair, 2005

"At this point, Vaderís plan really, now that he knows heís his son, is to convince him to come with him. Join the Dark Side and together theyíre going to overthrow the Emperor, which is the thematic devices used through the whole movies in terms of the Sith, which is Sith Lords are usually no more than two because if there are three, then two of them will gang up on one to try to become the dominate Sith. Anakin would have been able to do it if he hadnít been debilitated and now heís half machine and half man, so heís lost a lot of the power of the Force, and heís lost a lot of his ability to be more powerful then the Emperor. But Luke hasnít. Luke is Vaderís hope. His motives at this point are purely evil. He simply wants to continue on what he was doing before which is get rid of the Emperor and make himself Emperor. He only sees his son as a mechanism for the ambition. His mad lust of power."

--George Lucas, TESB DVD Commentary.

"And when he finds out Luke is his son, his first impulse is to figure out a way of getting him to join him to kill the Emperor. That's what Siths do! He tries it with anybody he thinks might be more powerful, which is what the Emperor was looking for in the first place: somebody who would be more powerful than he was and could help him rule the universe. But Obi-Wan screwed that up by cutting off his arms and legs and burning him up. From then on, he wasn't as strong as the Emperor -- he was like Darth Maul or Count Dooku. He wasn't what he was supposed to become. But the son could become that."

--George Lucas, Rolling Stones Interview, 2005.

"The Emperor wants Luke to kill Vader so that he will have a new young Jedi. Lets face it Vader is half mechanical and he is not half as good as he could be. He is not nearly as good as he was hoping Anakin would become because Anakin ends up in the suit. He is hoping he gets a new better apprentice in Luke. If he kills his father then he would take his place as an apprentice; which actually there is something that in the next film is how Anakin becomes his apprentice. There are a lot of things repeated in these movies. Fathers vs Sons."

--George Lucas, ROTJ DVD Commentary.

Initially, Palpatine believed that he could still get by despite the injuries. But as time went on, he realized that Vader would never be what he wanted prior to Mustafar. Thus when Vader suggested turning Luke, Palpatine decided that would be acceptable as he could have what he wanted in the first place.- Darth Sinister
    I'm pretty much aware of all of that DS. And, I'd just like to add that despite the diminishment of his power, Vader is obviously still quite formidable. At the beginning of THE RISE OF DARTH VADER, he's having trouble adjusting to his condition, but by the end of the story he's learned to tap into the power of The Dark Side to a much greater degree and learned to rise above his handicaps to the point where they don't seem to bother him anymore. He'll never be what he could have been, but he appears to have gone a long way towards achieving whatever potential he still had left.

I'm just wondering why Vader's prosthetics and life support equipment were apparently lacking in the first place. THE RISE OF DARTH VADER goes into some detail about how things didn't seem to work as well as they could have. If The Emperor can have General Grievous rebuilt into something as deadly as what we see before REVENGE OF THE SITH (before he's damaged by Mace Windu), and to some degree in the movie as well, why is the work done on Vader so substandard? The explanations that I can come up with are thus:

- In order to preserve as much of Vader's organic body as possible, they couldn't rebuild him to the same degree as Grievous. Although, this doesn't explain why Vader's prosthetics seem to be less than satisfactory. To put it simply, as far as I can tell none of the prosthetic limbs that Vader got post-Mustafar worked as well as the prosthetic arm that he had before that. He got a prosthetic arm at the end of ATTACK OF THE CLONES, and apparently built a new one for himself shortly before REVENGE OF THE SITH, after his first one was destroyed. Both of them worked much better in Vader's eyes than the ones he got post-Mustafar.

- The Emperor deliberately handicapped Vader in order to push him to rise above it. He'd never be what The Emperor had hoped for, but by forcing him to rise above adversity he could still squeeze out whatever potential Vader still had left.

- The droids who rebuilt Vader were incompetant, as Vader sometimes suspected. But, this seems strange since Grievous was rebuilt so well.

- Vader was just being too picky. He was unhappy with his condition to begin with so nothing would ever be good enough for him. Plus, he was accustomed to having a whole body and unrestricted access to The Force. Going from that to the severely compromised condition that he was left in post-Mustafar took some getting used to. Nothing seemed to work right because it was all new to him.

Vader's bionics were put together in a rush and he was resisting the whole thing. Grievous was worked on for long months, even years. Vader was put together in a matter of hours. Grievous was made by the Geonosians themselves, with the help of the Techno Union and Banking Clan. None of them were used. Just the medical and surgeon droids using some of the schematics of Grievous. But, sometimes you cannot reconcile the EU with the films, because they're not always right.

Who I am is not important... Biosynthnut v.2's Avatar

Well I finished reading LoF : Sacrafice. Overall I found it be rather short. But Jacens turn was about as abrupt as Anakins. Though my only question is....With Lumiya gone who will train Jacen in the ways of the darkside? Sidious did with Vader. So Vader learned a lot more about it. But with Jacen being the only sith who is to teach him more? Or does he want to learn more??

Will be picking up Inferno hopefully this weekend. But I must say he is not like Vader at all so far, aside from protecting Tenal Ka and Allana.

The side story with Boba Fett is awesome though. Fett FTW!!
    Hudson: Well that's great, that's just fuckin' great, man. Now what the fuck are we supposed to do? We're in some real pretty shit now man...
    Meat + Fire = Yum.

Jacen already knows everything there is to know about the Force, because of the time he spent roaming the galaxy learning about the Force. Vader didn't really learn much from Palpatine while he was under his thumb. All Palpatine taught him was to continue to channel his anger, so that the he could move past the weakness of his former self. And unlike his grandfather, who wanted to use the Force to stop someone from dying, Jacen just want to use the Force to force people into do what he wants them to do.