Thanks Thanks:  1

Thread: Friday the 13th Lawsuit Turns Bloody

I will make it because I dream Westin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Friday the 13th Lawsuit Turns Bloody

The lawsuit over the franchise rights to Friday the 13th entered a new phase last Friday, when Sean S. Cunningham was formally deposed under oath. Cunningham, the director and producer of the 1980 film Friday the 13th, was questioned during the deposition by Marc Toberoff, the attorney for writer Victor Miller. Miller, Friday the 13ths lone credited screenwriter, has also been deposed.
    More at: http://ihorror.com/exclusive-friday-...-turns-bloody/
    "Where the hell am I supposed to find silver bullets? K-mart?"
    --The Monster Squad

Modern horror doesn't impress me much.
    Kindly put on your rose-tinted glasses before reading my posts.

2. Thanks French Friday thanked for this post

Default Re: Friday the 13th Lawsuit Turns Bloody

A so much complicated trial for a so simple fastly-made independent movie...

I always thought the creator of a movie for Hollywood was only the director of the movie. I remember that for I Know What You Did Last Summer, an early teaser was saying "from the creator of Scream, Kevin Williamson" and they had to change that because officially, only Wes Craven was the creator of Scream.

The rights with F13 are so complicated... Who's the creator of Jason Voorhees ? I would almost say Tom Savini who designed his face. I suppose Miller could be the creator as he chose the name. And Cunningham chose the title Friday the 13th and directed the movie. And then you have the guys who gave their money to make the movie.

It seems we won't have another movie till 2019 or even later... The 13th Friday the 13th has a very hard time to be made. Bad luck, let's say.

I will make it because I dream Westin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

No, Kevin Williamson wrote "Scream," he is the creator. Wes Craven directed the movie --and he did a fantastic job. But I feel that Williamson is the creator.
    "Where the hell am I supposed to find silver bullets? K-mart?"
    --The Monster Squad

Modern horror doesn't impress me much.
    Kindly put on your rose-tinted glasses before reading my posts.

Not a licensed attorney Forum Staff Hoody's Avatar

And right there, a difference in vocabulary, is the crux of the argument.
    Yea Nash was defending his wife, from his son. At least no one tore a quad. - Biosynthnut v.2

Proud bachelor and childfree. Chucky's back's Avatar

This lawsuit could get complicated. The hockey masked killer from the sequels is so different from the deformed boy from the original that they could almost be considered two separate characters in legal terms. But if Miller still originated the basis of the character they built upon, he still technically owns Jason Voorhees?

And if he gets the rights back will any possible films in the future not feature Jason as the killer since he hated that concept?
    Last edited by Chucky's back; 05-19-2017 at 10:18 PM.
    Check out my comics here
    To me, the bottom line is that fan theories don't count. They're just excuses for the show's plot holes. The people writing the films are the ones that need to explain it, not the fans.

talk about a misleading thread title/news headline. i thought it was gonna say someone got brutally killed.

Quote Originally Posted by Westin View Post
    No, Kevin Williamson wrote "Scream," he is the creator. Wes Craven directed the movie --and he did a fantastic job. But I feel that Williamson is the creator.
    That's why I said "for Hollywood" and "officially".

Law and vocabulary, a true love story.

Well, at least there is Friday the 13th news....though not the kind of news we want.
    I just hope that when the dust settles and the legal rights holder emerges that another film finally gets made.