Thanks Thanks:  21
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stranger Things (Netflix)

Dark Lord of the Sith Freddy Krueger's Avatar

Default Stranger Things (Netflix)

I'm surprised I didn't see a thread on this.

I believe I have a new favorite show. Move over Game of Thrones, move over Walking Dead--Stranger Things is where it's at. The Duffer Brothers did an excellent job of recreating the 80s not only in set design, but musically, thematically, and hell...just in the straight up scares department. This is what would happen if Stephen King and Steven Spielberg worked together on a project.

Just awesome. Anyone else see it, have any thoughts?
    Last edited by Freddy Krueger; 08-02-2016 at 03:35 AM.
    "You're a disease...and I'm the cure."

2. Thanks ChildrenoftheDamned, Monkey thanked for this post
    Not a licensed attorney Forum Staff Hoody's Avatar

Default Re: Stranger Things (Netflix)

Just finished it. I really enjoyed the heck out of it.
    Yea Nash was defending his wife, from his son. At least no one tore a quad. - Biosynthnut v.2

4. Thanks ChildrenoftheDamned thanked for this post

Since you say a lot of good things about those stranger things, I'll watch it for sure now. I didn't know anything about it except it being a Netflix series (because Netflix put it in front of me !) I'll tell you what I think next.

I finished it just last week and I loved it! I think this is the first show since Breaking Bad where I had to force myself to wait to watch the next episode, as opposed to trying to watch it all in one sitting.
    "Last night, Darth Vader came down from planet Vulcan and told me that if I didn't take Lorraine out that he'd melt my brain." - George McFly -- Back To the Future (1985)
    "If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love." -- Bodhi - Point Break (1991)

Blog Entries

Thank you for creating this thread.

I just watched the first episode. The time period, mystery/suspense theme, music (very Carpenter mixed with Tron... synth), D&D, nod to 'The Thing' in the second scene... I love it so far and can see why somebody would binge watch. So far, soooooo good.

8. Thanks Freddy Krueger, ChildrenoftheDamned thanked for this post
    Puddle of Horse Blood Forum Staff sickboy's Avatar

Adored this show. Aside from the fact that it's well-written everything about it just made me insanely happy.

10. Thanks Freddy Krueger, ChildrenoftheDamned thanked for this post

The only weird bit of writing I saw was the fact that

this government agency didn't kill Hopper when he found their facility. They killed the diner owner merely for meeting Eleven earlier in the show.

That said, easy to forgive. I can't wait to see what they do for season 2.

Not a licensed attorney Forum Staff Hoody's Avatar

FK -

Easier to explain away a diner dying than the chief of police.

Yea Nash was defending his wife, from his son. At least no one tore a quad. - Biosynthnut v.2

13. Thanks Freddy Krueger thanked for this post
    Blog Entries

Shit. The activity stream removes the spoiler tags and reveals everything. I didn't notice that before.

The sense of nostalgia is overwhelming. I remember the early 80s vividly; it was my childhood and I think most of us look back at that era fondly. Something as simple as the detail that goes into the background goes a long way (stores, cars, architecture). Don't mind that 33 years removed it's ancient history. I get an appreciation of what my dad was feeling the first time we saw 'Back to the Future' 30 years ago (going back to the 1950s).
    Last edited by Monkey; 08-23-2016 at 01:44 AM.

Puddle of Horse Blood Forum Staff sickboy's Avatar

FK-

I think it's the two different scenarios that cause this. When they're looking for Eleven they're panicked, don't have a great deal of time and are hoping to keep it all a secret. At the point where that agency has been massacred there's no need to kill Hopper - in fact I think he's probably now on the payroll

Quote Originally Posted by sickboy View Post
    FK-

I think it's the two different scenarios that cause this. When they're looking for Eleven they're panicked, don't have a great deal of time and are hoping to keep it all a secret. At the point where that agency has been massacred there's no need to kill Hopper - in fact I think he's probably now on the payroll
    Oh yeah, I definitely think

Hopper's working for the agency on the side now. The fact that he got picked up at the hospital and is now, apparently, trying to coax Eleven out of hiding with waffles...something's definitely up there. Just, initially, when he was left to survive I was a little thrown off based on the way the Agency dealt with matters earlier.

Just finished watching it. Very good show. The 80s, Spielberg, King, John Carpenter, all is there.

I've just one big problem with that series, and one little.

The big one is the antagonists, Brenner and his team, they are unbearable, anti-charismatic. Each scene they are in is ruined. Why didn't they keep them in shadows, E.T.'s style ? Why did they hire those actors I want to kick their ass as soon they're on screen ? They could have done a mystery around them and they're just your usual bad guys grounded in reality. Zero interest.

The little one is the monster and the other world, did they forget to LIGHT those scenes ? They could have been great, but the direction and lighting of those scenes were really bad.

So overall, it could have been a great show but because of those two things, it's just a good show, a very pleasant surprise, with a great atmosphere (the score is perfect, the new goonies are perfect). I hope season 2 will enhance the mystery and that they will buy some lights.

Apparently Eleven/Elle looks like she'll grow up to be, NEGASONIC-TEENAGE NUCLEAR WARHEAD , from that image.

Anywho, had been hearing about this show since it hit Netflix, but due to one thing or another, didn't get a chance to watch it. But finally, last week ,started watching, and finished the puppy up Monday night. Best movie the Eighties never made. I had read that the show's creators, Duffer Brothers, when not brewing their beer, had been pitching this show all over the place, and no one had taken them up on it. Until Netflix, and the rest as they say, is history. Apparently, last night the radio show Ground Zero, Stranger Things was originally entitled, MONTAUK. Those familiar with conspiracy theories ,and even a few news stories involving weird carcasses of animals washing up on shores near the Long Island facility. Where the government's official statement says it was radar research at the station. But conspiracy theorists believe the facility has connections to all things from the infamous Philidelphia Experiment to experiments on children. Then also some pretty stranger things to boot. The show got people thinking about the D.O.E. in this dark light so much. The Department of Energy, even put out a press statement following the show's release that they didn't perform any experiments on children. And no, there is not a monster terrorizing the woods of Indiana.

On Hawkins' resident badass, Chief of Police Hopper,

no doubt is now a stalking horse, agent of the agency whose experiments created Elle/Eleven

. Couldn't help but think when Hopper was first introduced, that the perfect guy to play his father, or even be a mentor to the Police Chief is none other than...
    "Of course you'll have a bad impression of New York if you only focus on the pimps and the C.H.U.D.S."-Marge Simpson

19. Thanks Monkey, ChildrenoftheDamned thanked for this post

I don't think Hooper's

on the payroll. I just think he's hookin' up 11 with some Waffles. Unless we're viewing the first time he does that, I'm under the impression that 11 is still alive in the Upside Down and he's just getting her the goods.

I wouldn't be opposed to said scenario, but I just don't think that's the case.

I seem to be in the minority here when I discuss this show with people; I thought the way it "ended" (

as in before Will throws up the slug, and we see Hooper set the waffles making a second season imminent

) was perfect. If it would have just ended right there I would give this show 5.5 stars out of 5.
    The Clit
    With the flick of his wrist he turns words into melodies, chords into church bells, fill up the allies
    ...lovers intwine in the heat of the night, and by dawn are apart in the shivering silences.

I agree with VV about Hopper. And also about the ending. They could have done without a second season and it would have felt "complete". I was thinking about what to do for a second season and they teased the right thing as far as I'm concerned.

Mash-up between the opening theme, and credits to BUFFY:The Vampire Slayer ,and STRANGER THINGS.
    "Of course you'll have a bad impression of New York if you only focus on the pimps and the C.H.U.D.S."-Marge Simpson

23. Thanks Monkey thanked for this post

I mean.. Hopper...
    The Clit
    With the flick of his wrist he turns words into melodies, chords into church bells, fill up the allies
    ...lovers intwine in the heat of the night, and by dawn are apart in the shivering silences.

Quote Originally Posted by VV View Post
    I mean.. Hopper...
    I think the name was a nod to Hooper from Jaws, so you're totally excused.

26. Thanks VV thanked for this post

Quote Originally Posted by The One and Only View Post
    Mash-up between the opening theme, and credits to BUFFY:The Vampire Slayer ,and STRANGER THINGS.
    I love that ! Really want to watch season 2 now. Hope it won't be next summer but next spring....

And it's exactly what I did for Friday the 13th 1-8 years ago. (Somewhere on this board.) This Buffy opening can go with many things. And stranger things, in that case.

A Stranger Things Christmas.

And two new cast members are recruited for Season Two.

Thank you. Good parody.

Some more news on the casting front for STRANGER THINGS:Season II. Comedian Brett Gelman shows up in Hawkins as a disgruntled newspaper reporter turned conspiracy theorist. Also Sean Astin will be appearing. And in a weird coinkiedink, when watching ALIENS two weeks ago with my mom. When Burke first showed up, my mom asked whatever happened to Paul Riser. Well, he apparently ended up in Hawkins.

The Upsidedown and our world are about to have a Close Encounter this Halloween(1984 that is).
    Last edited by The One and Only; 02-07-2017 at 02:51 AM.

33. Thanks Monkey thanked for this post

GAR. Can't believe we have to wait until Halloween!