Thanks Thanks:  8

Thread: MLB General Discussion

Default MLB General Discussion

I don't know how many baseball fans we have around here but I figured it was time to get an MLB thread going. This totally isn't because my team has a 12 game win streak and is winning their division by 6 games and I probably just jinxed the shit out of them.
    Welcome to Sonic Team. We make games I think?

Blog Entries

Default Re: MLB General Discussion

I'll root for a Cubs-Indians World Series, although I'd want Chicago to win it all. That will pave the way for my Vikings to win the Super Bowl and the inevitable ensuing apocalypse that follows.

And holy shit! I did not know the Indians had won 12 in a row. If the Indians win the World Series, Cleveland will lose their collective minds. It will also help them stomach the upcoming NFL season.

Not a baseball fan. I follow the Mariners and their refusal to be any good from time to time; like hockey, I think it's boring but I enjoy seeing minor league baseball and hockey games in person from time to time (we have a baseball, arena style football, and hockey team as well as the 'great in the regular season' Gonzaga Bulldogs). For me, there are no sports worth watching in the summer. I may watch a World Series game every few years or so. I just love seeing an underdog or a championship starved team win something from time to time... hence my rooting for a Cubs-Indians showdown. I root for the Boston Celtics and the German National Mens Soccer team, arguably (historically) the best in each of their respective sports... otherwise I'm constantly disappointed in sports. The only Cleveland sports team I really cared about were the Browns, when they moved to Baltimore I quit following them. Baseball? Not for me (watching it... I'll follow the 'feel good' stories, though and the standings).
    “How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.”

The Mariners. Man, that's tough. Looked like they were pretty good early in the year but they've been struggling as of late. Still in the hunt but have lost a lot of ground, gonna have to get a wildcard cause Texas has that division on wraps. It doesn't help that I've heard the Mariners actively try to stop Seattle from getting a basketball team again.

Blog Entries

I was a fan of the Sonics. It's funny because when we had a bunch of people from Oklahoma working with us several years ago, they announced the team was moving to Oklahoma City. Oh well, less taxes I suppose. Yeah, the Mariners were in first place briefly but they decided to stop winning games (or reality set in, like it does year after year). If they get their shit together, they have time to climb back up into the wild card slot. Adding playoff teams solely for the purpose of generating extra revenue sucks (stop trying to mess with a great balance NFL!). It waters down the level of competition and takes away from the regular season, but MLB handled it perfectly. I'm glad they added an extra wild card team and a one-off play-in game. It punishes a team for not winning their division and makes for a more exciting season as the season winds down.

Too bad there aren't more sports fans here in general.

5. Thanks SanicHeghog thanked for this post

I agree, the two wildcard spots really make the season more exciting. Basically if you're around .500 at the break you're still in it. I remember last year the Indians were hovering around 5-10 under most of the year and they were still in it.

The Indians broke their franchise record with their 14th consecutive win in a 6 hour, 19 inning game. The final score was 2-1. Yes I watched the whole thing.

Fuckin' A man. Jose Fernandez dead at 24 in a boating accident. One of the best young players in the game gone in the prime of his youth. This along with Arnold Palmer dying makes it a really awful sports day.

No offense to anybody who likes Boston.......but fuck Boston, and fuck Big Papi. We win lol

Blog Entries

I hope its Indians/Cubs WS and have been since the season was in its infancy. No matter what, somebody is going to end one hell of a drought. If the Indians lose, at least the Cavs won a championship. If the Cubs lose, it probably won't matter, because they should be the best baseball team over the next 3-4 years and will have a few shots at it.

You would think so, but that's the beauty of baseball. In 162 games, any team can surprise or disappoint. A team can look awesome like the Indians and the Cubs do this year, then play .500 ball next year. Not that I expect it to happen but its entirely possible. The Indians have a smaller window to win it all for that reason, plus they don't spend big money. I'd say we've got about 4-5 more years here to have a chance at making the playoffs, and once you get there anything can happen. After that, we'll probably lose a bunch of guys to the big money teams and have to rebuild.

I'm gonna get a bit personal here, but my grandma always talks about how she loved watching the Tribe with her sister. My great aunt died earlier this year, and to just think that the Indians are one win away from getting to the World Series, with all the odds stacked against them, almost brings a tear to my eye. Damn man, gotta love this baseball stuff.

Blog Entries

If the Indians can win tonight, they'll have an entire week off to rest up for the world series. The NLCS has to go at least 3 more games. It's looking good for 'The Tribe'...

14. Thanks SanicHeghog thanked for this post
    Kevin Yagher MILF Hunter Forum Staff Kat's Avatar

While I want the Cubs to win, I am genuinely happy for whatever team wins the WS this year.

Cleveland Indians are like the Cubs, it'd be a fairy tale.
    Jays are my home country's team
    Dodgers haven't won it in a long time.

Cubs though..... man, I hope they win....
    FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER @RealKatCooper
    Not Special. Not Different. Just Equal
    FORUM'S RESIDENT LESBIAN
    NATE IS FUCK

Cubs aren't looking so hot right now. I can't imagine the pressure that's on that team. While I'd be disappointed if the Indians didn't win the World Series, this season has been a huge success. For this Cubs team, its boom or bust.

Kevin Yagher MILF Hunter Forum Staff Kat's Avatar

That seems to happen in a lot of sports. Best team during the regular season, kicks ass during first and/or second round of playoffs, then crashes and burns.
    FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER @RealKatCooper
    Not Special. Not Different. Just Equal
    FORUM'S RESIDENT LESBIAN
    NATE IS FUCK

Cubs are far from out of it though, they need their bats to wake up. Hell, if the Tribe's bats don't wake up they could blow their lead.
    Last edited by SanicHeghog; 10-19-2016 at 08:02 PM.

Blog Entries

I was stationed in Alaska back in '97; a friend of mine was a huge Indians fan. "Fucking Cleveland" was repeated a lot during and after that series.
    It would be great if The Tribe wins it all this year, but strange that the Browns will be eliminated from the playoffs by then (technically not, but definitely so).

20. Thanks SanicHeghog thanked for this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    That seems to happen in a lot of sports. Best team during the regular season, kicks ass during first and/or second round of playoffs, then crashes and burns.
    2001 Mariners, 2007 Patriots, 2016 Warriors. I think there have been a couple of undefeated NFL teams that had no losses or ties and ended up losing the championship game (the Chicago Bears for sure).

Cavs.....awesome!
    Indians.....awesome!
    Browns......FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

23. Thanks Kat thanked for this post

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
    I was stationed in Alaska back in '97; a friend of mine was a huge Indians fan. "Fucking Cleveland" was repeated a lot during and after that series.
    It would be great if The Tribe wins it all this year, but strange that the Browns will be eliminated from the playoffs by then (technically not, but definitely so).
    Not gonna be saying that this series. The curse is over!

Seriously though, the Indians just have that look this year. They remind me of the Giants and Cardinals teams who won it all the past few years. I'm going with Cleveland in 7 with whoever they play. I would love for it to be easier, but come on, its Cleveland; nothing comes easy here.

Blog Entries

I saw a CNN article about a 1993 yearbook prediction.... here is the picture and quote:

26. Thanks SanicHeghog thanked for this post
    Blog Entries

?????

I don't watch baseball, but I'm going to catch game 7. I wish both teams could win it.

28. Thanks Hoody thanked for this post

LeBron totally jinxed us meng.

What a great game and series. Sucks that we lost but I got nothing against the Cubbies. They have some obnoxious fans but hell, so do we.

Don't know how often Jeans comes here but I know he's a Cubs fan. Doubt he'll see it but congrats anyways, JJ. Hope you enjoy it.

31. Thanks Monkey thanked for this post
    Blog Entries

I've been rooting for a certain MLB team, but I don't want to jinx anything. They had a remarkable winning streak (0 ties) and just came back against team evil recently. Their prodigal son in another sport will most likely leave next year. I've seen them lose two World Series, I hope this is the year they finally break through. Then maybe that last team will win a Super Bowl (once it gets new owners).

33. Thanks SanicHeghog thanked for this post