Thanks Thanks:  6

Thread: Thor: Ragnarok (November 3, 2017)

Default Thor: Ragnarok (November 3, 2017)

During a special announcement today, Marvel Studios has confirmed that its third Thor film will be “Thor: Ragnarok,” and will hit theaters July 28, 2017.

Like Captain America: Civil War, the title paints a very clear road for where the next Thor film is heading. “Ragnarok” was a Thor storyline published by Marvel Comics in 2004. The arc was significant for bringing the death of Thor, Asgard, and all of its inhabitants for several years. The story would have a lasting impact on the Marvel Universe for several years, removing Thor and his supporting cast from Marvel’s publishing schedule.

As Kevin Feige explained during the special event, Ragnarok is “The end of all things.” Ragnarok holds a special place in Norse mythology, which Thor is based off of, as the end to the cycle of death and rebirth that all Gods have the luxury of enjoying. Essentially, it is the Armageddon for Asgard and all of its inhabitants.

Stay tuned for more updates from Comicbook.com
    "Sometimes you have to do something stupid to get results!" - X-Ray
    X-Ray & Vav

Nutrition free since '93! Forum Staff Comfy Jeans's Avatar

Default Re: Thor: Ragnarok (July 28, 2017)

If all these films follow the comics closely, I'm beginning to suspect they're cleaning house of the Phase 1 super heroes to make room for some of the new additions (Black Panther, Ant Man, Dr. Strange, and so on). Avengers 3 could potentially be a very different sort of film from the first two, with a largely different line-up.

Likely Avengers: Infinity War is going to be a giant mosh pit of the new guys and old guys. It'll have the older guys bow out and the newer guys take the reigns full time.
    "Sometimes you have to do something stupid to get results!" - X-Ray
    X-Ray & Vav

I'm gonna guess that they straight up kill off Steve Rogers and Thor, only to have them resurrected in time for Infinity War II.

Oh, the Horror! - All Decades, All Sub-Genres!

Balls Academy - Your Alma mater for teen films, raunchy, low-brow comedies, sexploitation & coming of age dramas.
    EFilmCritic - reviews of everything else

Some interesting news in regards to the end of all things in THOR:RAGNAROK. No big surprise things will be taking a darker turn when the Bears of the Dead show up to Asgard, the Valkyries. Those of us who were a little put out that the Hulk was removed from CAPTAIN AMERICA:CIVIL WAR, will find some solace that Mark Ruffalo is in talks, and things are looking good for him arrive for the wild times known as RAGNAROK.
    "Of course you'll have a bad impression of New York if you only focus on the pimps and the C.H.U.D.S."-Marge Simpson

The possibility that Hulk will be in this actually makes me believe a Thor movie can be good.
    The best scenerio would be a Thor/Hulk intergalactic buddy cop movie.

7. Thanks Hoody thanked for this post

If all these films follow the comics closely, I'm beginning to suspect they're cleaning house of the Phase 1 super heroes to make room for some of the new additions (Black Panther, Ant Man, Dr. Strange, and so on). Avengers 3 could potentially be a very different sort of film from the first two, with a largely different line-up.-Comfy Jeans
    I hope they just let guys like Thor and Cap continue to do their thing off screen while the movies focus on new characters. Just because you want to bring in new blood doesn't mean that you have to kill off the old guys, and we don't have to see the old guys all the time to know they're there and are still an active part of the bigger picture.

Teaser bitches.
    "Of course you'll have a bad impression of New York if you only focus on the pimps and the C.H.U.D.S."-Marge Simpson

10. Thanks French Friday thanked for this post

Looks great !

Why is Thor 3 suddenly Guardians of the Galaxy 2?
    He's back... The man behind the mask...
    And he's out of control!

Quote Originally Posted by Darker View Post
    Why is Thor 3 suddenly Guardians of the Galaxy 2?
    Thor ,and his comic adventures have gone beyond Asgard and Earth before. He's done battle with Galactus, Ego, Firelord , Air-Walker, Beta Ray Bill, and Korvac, in space. Walt Simonson's run which introduced Beta Ray Bill, whose home galaxy was destroyed by the Asgardian fire demon Surter in order to reforge his Sword of Doom. Odinson's place in the cosmic order of things in the Marvel Universe has been a thing since the Silver Age. This flick is playing up those cosmic settings, with a bit of Asgard's own downfall in the course of its end with Ragnarok.

Not a licensed attorney Forum Staff Hoody's Avatar

Default Re: Thor: Ragnarok (November 3, 2017)

I'm looking forward to this.
    Yea Nash was defending his wife, from his son. At least no one tore a quad. - Biosynthnut v.2

Quote Originally Posted by The One and Only View Post
    Thor ,and his comic adventures have gone beyond Asgard and Earth before. He's done battle with Galactus, Ego, Firelord , Air-Walker, Beta Ray Bill, and Korvac, in space. Walt Simonson's run which introduced Beta Ray Bill, whose home galaxy was destroyed by the Asgardian fire demon Surter in order to reforge his Sword of Doom. Odinson's place in the cosmic order of things in the Marvel Universe has been a thing since the Silver Age. This flick is playing up those cosmic settings, with a bit of Asgard's own downfall in the course of its end with Ragnarok.
    I think I've already said I'm a pretty old comic book veteran here.

My question wasn't about Thor's cosmic adventures, it was about the unnecessary amount of comedy in this film, which is very much like the Guardians of the Galaxy movie.
    He's back... The man behind the mask...
    And he's out of control!

My question wasn't about Thor's cosmic adventures, it was about the unnecessary amount of comedy in this film, which is very much like the Guardians of the Galaxy movie.
    The comedy aspect didn't hit the trailer till the unveiling of

Hulk in the Grandmaster's Gladiatorial Arena when Thor thought he wasn't haven't going to fight. Then the Hulk turning out to be spoiling for one. Was the only real comedy I saw in the trailer.

I remember that a few years ago, after the release (and success) of GotG, Chris Hemsworth asked Marvel to make Thor 3 a little more like GotG. (And we saw in Ghostbusters that Hemsworth likes being a comedian!) Also, Thor and Dark World weren't as successful as GotG, and I suppose Marvel agreed on doing Thor Ragnarok a GotG 2.5. The best of both worlds.

As far as the in-universe is concerned, I think it's good to see how Asgard is linked to the whole galaxy, sending Thor and Hulk elsewhere than Earth and Asgard, with a Dr Strange cameo for (maybe) the multi-dimensional side of the story, and "strangers in a strange land" is always a good start for comedy, which explains the "new" tone of Thor 3 compared to the first two (which have a lot of comedy when we think about it.)

I like how they use Planet Hulk (which I think was a good idea in the comics but I didn't like the treatment) fusioning it with one of the many Ragnarok stories of Thor. Both characters facing each other, a "buddy movie" in space, is very interesting. I'm impatient.

I'd add that in 2011 when Thor was released, and at a time when no new Star Wars was supposed to be made, I was happy to see that Marvel could do "Star Wars" using Asgard as a base. Now we have Star Wars too, but Thor and GotG are other space operas I can love too. (Star Trek is less "space opera", even if Beyond evolved in a very GotG-like movie.)
    Last edited by French Friday; 04-12-2017 at 06:39 PM.

18. Thanks Monkey thanked for this post

New Trailer.

20. Thanks Hoody, French Friday thanked for this post

Looks very epic with very beautiful and titan-ish images.

I'm not sure I like Valkyrie's white costume. They should have gone with something closer to the comics, or at least stuck with the leather outfit she wears on Sakaar.

Fan made THOR:RAGNAROK trailer. Picture Thor's adventures if they had been made in the Eighties, by Cannon.

24. Thanks Monkey thanked for this post
    Blog Entries

The trailer nailed the 80s feel, especially the credits.
    “How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.”