Thanks Thanks:  4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Skull Island - Universal's next King Kong film

Default Re: Skull Island - Universal's next King Kong film

All I can say after this trailer is : we're gonna need a bigger chopper.

It seemed to me like all that firepower did was mildly annoy Godzilla. There isn't even any sign of injury on Godzilla's body.

Quote Originally Posted by Darker View Post
    In the bridge scene, they started to shoot him and 2014 Godzilla then went away like "nuuuu leave Fatzilla alone". And I dunno, if this new Kong can throw a palm tree through a freaking helicopter while from really far away I'm pretty sure a single punch from him is far stronger than any of the tanks that got through 2014 Godzilla's skin and made him run away like a scared puppy.
    It looked to me like all that firepower did was mildly annoy Godzilla. And, I don't see any signs of injury on his body.

Dark Lord of the Sith Freddy Krueger's Avatar

Yeah, I don't recall Gareth Edwards's Godzilla being hurt by tanks and missiles.

Roland Emmerich's however...
    "You're a disease...and I'm the cure."

A new trailer, and the enemy of Kong unveiled.
    "Of course you'll have a bad impression of New York if you only focus on the pimps and the C.H.U.D.S."-Marge Simpson

Kong looks cool, I'm sure the fans of the original movie will be pleased with this look.

Hopefully we get a bigger opponent than that. These skull crawlers don't seem to pose much of a threat to Kong, I'm expecting an enemy of Kong's to appear, like Gaw from the comics, or Gorosaurus, if Legendary got the rights to him, that'd be awesome.
    He's back... The man behind the mask...
    And he's out of control!

Collection of television spots for the second entry of Legendary's MONSTERVERSE.
    "Of course you'll have a bad impression of New York if you only focus on the pimps and the C.H.U.D.S."-Marge Simpson

The IMAX poster.

10. Thanks French Friday thanked for this post

Quote Originally Posted by French Friday View Post
    All I can say after this trailer is : we're gonna need a bigger chopper.
    More like, send more choppers.
    Anywho, KONG:Skull Island will feature a scene after the end credits.
    And to thrill your collective gorillas even further, take a gander at the Japanese poster for the flick.

12. Thanks French Friday thanked for this post
    Free Balloons Forum Staff Monkey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So, the nuclear 'tests' conducted only to kill a large monster? Sounds... familiar. It was a 2014 movie, but I just can't put my finger on it.

The MCU, DC "me too" copycat formula, Universal monsters, and soon the inevitable Kong vs. Godzilla. The cinema has become television except episodes cost $10-12 each and take 2-3 years to make. I'll watch it after it leaves theaters, but this formula will eventually play out and people will lose interest. Sequel remake tie-in sequel remake tie in sequel remake....
    “How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.”

Dark Lord of the Sith Freddy Krueger's Avatar

I'm cool with it for Legendary's Monsterverse (even Universal's...but that looks like it's going to have a really weak Mummy movie at the start). Hell, Toho and Universal were doing the shared universe thing before it was cool.

I'm tiring of it in the world of comic book movies, though (even the DC movies, which I feel get an undeserved bad rap--though Suicide Squad's story was lacking). The novelty of watching an Iron Man movie and him making a joke about Thor/Captain America/Hulk/insert any other super hero here who doesn't even appear in the movie has worn off. Just make a good movie. Anymore it's come across as cookie cutter entertainment.
    "You're a disease...and I'm the cure."

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
    The MCU, DC "me too" copycat formula, Universal monsters, and soon the inevitable Kong vs. Godzilla. The cinema has become television except episodes cost $10-12 each and take 2-3 years to make. I'll watch it after it leaves theaters, but this formula will eventually play out and people will lose interest. Sequel remake tie-in sequel remake tie in sequel remake....
    Sure... It's not like there were like 6 Dracula/Invisible Man/Frankenstein/Wolfman movies in the 30s/40s/50s (6 of each).... Nothing like having 15 Gojira between 54 and 73, with one King Kong Vs Gojira as the third movie, with plenty of other Kaiju movies by Toho in-between, one per year, with many of them fighting Gojira after being introduced in a solo movie.... Nothing like the serials of the 20s/30s/40s/50s.... Nothing like the 8 Friday the 13th in 9 years.... Nothing like the 8 Fast & Furious movies in what, 16 years ? Nothing like the 20 or more James Bond, one every 2 years...

It's not because DC has failed (for now) or that we've seen nothing of the Universal Monsters Universe, or the Hasbro Universe, despite their announcement, that the MCU is starting to lose any energy for me. I'm just anxious now that some actor dies before completing his storyline, and that Avengers 4 couldn't be made to conclude that first chapter. (End of the shooting this october/november, so 8 months to wait to be sure the ending is able to be made as planned.)

You don't seen to understand that there will always be only 3 movies on each solo character. So 3 movies of each "tone". There are new characters every year and a Doctor Strange movie is not a Black Panther movie. (I suppose Black Panther will take on the geopolitical spy thriller genre now Captain America has ended). It's one universe, but many different characters, and as many different stories.

I've rarely seen a franchise that goes so well after 15 movies and like 5 more to come. Gojira and James Bond have many more "bad" movies than the MCU. I've rarely seen a series so well made, story-wise, quality-wise, continuity-wise, everything-wise.

Yes, it's a TV series on the big screen (and on TV too, don't forget ABC and Netflix). Netflix is almost "free" because of the number of épisodes you can watch for the price of one ticket on theater, and not just the Marvel series. So what we got is a regular series on TV, with every 4 months a Special Episode on the big screen, and a 13-part Very Special Episode every 6 month on Netflix.

And despite of that, I'm always waiting for the next episode impatiently (Iron Fist, March 17th !!!)

Happily, there is Star Wars too. And I'm waiting impatiently for that Big Monsters Universe.

The main advantage of a TV series on theater is that no movie is a filler. On TV, even with only 13 épisodes, there are always fillers or weak episodes.

So I prefer a movie series with 20 episodes in 10 years, that would take me 40 hours to re-Watch without any weak episodes, than a TV series of 5 seasons of 22 episodes, 110 épisodes, which would take me like 77 hours to watch, with 11 weak episode per season.... (The problem is, Agents of SHIELD is a 22 episodes per season, even if the 2-part seasons since season 2 made it better with less fillers.)

My conclusion is just that I prefer movie series over TV series, because of the level of quality and the rewatchability, if that's a word.

But as for this Kaiju series, for now, the first episode is garbage, so I hope the second and third will be way above it quality-wise, just for me to get :

Episode 1 : Kong, Skull Island
    Episode 2 : Godzilla, King of the Monsters

Please let Godzilla 2014 disappear.

(yeah, I know, everytime someone blames the MCU, I don't control myself anymore, because that's just the best thing out there since the end of the 80s and the dark times of the 90s/00s)

Blog Entries

Superhero movies weren't very popular aside from a few franchises. Ironically, I remember Superman from the 70s/80s and Batman from the 80s/90s as being the mainstay for a long while (DC). X-men and Spider-man were going fairly strong, but Iron Man and the Dark Knight) really kicked everything off. The quality of Iron Man/Dark Knight were above and beyond. Superhero movies grew up.

I believe 14 out of the last 15 years, a sequel or a tie-in to a series has been the top grossing movie (Avatar the exception). These tie ins were the thing many years ago, I agree. I'm not a big fan of most of the series you listed. We know why this franchise was rebooted and we know where it's heading. There's talk of Is a G.I. Joe/Transformers tie-in movie coming as well. When will this end? If this is the way of cinema for the next 10-15 years, count me out. I'm getting burned out on it. There's just too much for me, but it's all about the money. Keep making piles of it, and we'll keep getting the same flicks.

17. Thanks Freddy Krueger thanked for this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy Krueger View Post
    I'm cool with it for Legendary's Monsterverse (even Universal's...but that looks like it's going to have a really weak Mummy movie at the start). Hell, Toho and Universal were doing the shared universe thing before it was cool.

I'm tiring of it in the world of comic book movies, though (even the DC movies, which I feel get an undeserved bad rap--though Suicide Squad's story was lacking). The novelty of watching an Iron Man movie and him making a joke about Thor/Captain America/Hulk/insert any other super hero here who doesn't even appear in the movie has worn off. Just make a good movie. Anymore it's come across as cookie cutter entertainment.
    The formula isn't going to work for everybody. I'm getting tired of it, too (see above). I never thought I'd say that. Just like all the zombie material lately, eventually it grows old.

Harry Potter broke the last book up into two movies due to the length of the book. Then Twilight did it... Hunger Games... The Divergent series tried it, breaking the last book of a trilogy into two movies, and it failed miserably. I hope that trend dies at least.

Just not exited for this movie. I went to see King Kong about twelve years ago, it was okay. Godzilla 2014 was okay. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I feel like we've been there and done that already. If this movie gets your goat, cheers.

19. Thanks Freddy Krueger thanked for this post

I love PJ's Kong, that's actually one of my all time favorite movies. I really liked Godzilla couple years ago as well. Despite that, I still can't really get excited about this. It looks bland. John C. Reilly looks to be the most annoying, tacked on 'comic relief' character since Kat Dennings in the Thor movies.
    "...by His wounds we are healed." - Isaiah 53:5
    "A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within." - Apocalypto
    Rorshach to Robert Englund..."None of the fans seem to understand, I'm not in your role, you were in mine!*_*"

Quote Originally Posted by French Friday View Post
    But as for this Kaiju series, for now, the first episode is garbage, so I hope the second and third will be way above it quality-wise, just for me to get :

Episode 1 : Kong, Skull Island
    Episode 2 : Godzilla, King of the Monsters

Please let Godzilla 2014 disappear.
    I can't go along with this. I liked GODZILLA 2014, so it has to say. Plus, it was successful enough to get the ball rolling on this, so it's not disappearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Reaper View Post
    I can't go along with this. I liked GODZILLA 2014, so it has to say. Plus, it was successful enough to get the ball rolling on this, so it's not disappearing.
    For ME, it doesn't exist anymore. Any "previously on Godzilla" in the sequels will be just backstories never told before. For ME.

Overall, I'm looking forward to this movie. It looks like fun. My only minor grumbles are that I wish they had made Skull Island look a bit more primordial, like Peter Jackson's version. That looked like a place where monsters dwell. And, I wish they had made Kong's fur black instead of brown.

Final trailer can't wait to get us outta this place.

I saw this on Saturday. I liked it. It's not an oscar-winner, but it was a fun monster-mash. And, it was nice to watch a King Kong movie

where Kong doesn't die at the end for a change.

Yeah, it's dope as fuck, really. Just unabashed monster mayhem, and that's cool.

Oh, the Horror! - All Decades, All Sub-Genres!

Balls Academy - Your Alma mater for teen films, raunchy, low-brow comedies, sexploitation & coming of age dramas.
    EFilmCritic - reviews of everything else

Without spoilers, compared to Godzilla 2014, is it better structured ? Is there any pay-off after any build up of something ? (you know what I'm refering to) Are the characters more interesting ? Can we care for them ? Is there emotion ? (As always I'm waiting for the VOD or DVD to watch a movie, I don't go to theaters anymore)

Director Jordan Vogt Roberts talks about his shot down pitch for the opening for KONG:Skull Island, and the end credit he had perused for the bit.

Really enjoyed it, a lot of people in the audience rather loved John C. Reilly's character from the film, and

like Kong, so glad he didn't die, and got to be reunited wife, and meet his kid.

Also I'm amazed that some of the kills managed, one particularly brutal to a soldier, made it in a PG-13 flick.

Watched it yesterday. A new disappointment after Godzilla 2014. Kinda the total opposite. In Godzilla 2014 there was only build-up and no climax. Here, there's only climax and no build-up.

While the first appearance of Kong in the prologue is great, with the duel during WW2, when he appears the second time, it's just "hello I'm here" in full light. The total opposite of Godzilla where it was "hello I'm gone".

The island itself is a disappointment. No characterization of the island. It was a character in the previous King Kong movies, especially in Peter Jackson's. It was an island where we were afraid to go even after our ship sunk, even if it was the only piece of ground in the middle of the ocean. They never played on that in Kong : Skull Island, despite the title... It was just Isla Sorna the 2nd or whatever is called the other island in Jurassic Park.

The various monsters were great, the fights were great. The scene with Kong in the "lake" against the octopus was great, maybe the only one with build-up.

Tom Hiddleston was great, the photograph woman was good (don't remember the name, sorry). But apart them, I never cared for anyone, not even for Samuel L Jackson or John Goodman.

And once again, militaries. Always militaries. The best Gamera movies, the 90s trilogy, focus way more on the civilians than the militaries and that's why it was good. The same for Gamera the Brave. I don't mind if there are militaries in a Kaiju Eiga, that's logical, that makes sense, but they're never the Aliens marines. They're never fun to watch. And there was too many characters.

I know they need people to kill, but too much is too much. I would have prefered a movie focused on Tom Hiddleston character, arriving on Skull Island with a team (the other civilians of the movie), maybe following an accident, their sunken ship after a storm, and forced to go there, not knowing what it is, where they are. No militaries, just survivors. And maybe the choppers scene (a great scene) near the end of the movie after an SOS was sent. Because it felt like a climax. And it was in the first half.

That's also a big problem with both Godzilla and Kong : both movies start with the US government already knowing there are monsters out there. How can you create mystery and suspense when your characters already KNOW what they are facing, what they are searching ?

2 movies, the second being the opposite of the first, as if they didn't understand the critics and just did the opposite because "not enough Godzilla ? too much build-up ? Ok, we just have to do the contrary and they'll love it !". No, just no. Balance is what I want. BALANCE.

Now I hope "Godzilla : King of the Monsters" will work as a stand-alone. The post-credit scene in Kong was exciting. Kong itself was great. Like Godzilla was. Both creatures are perfect ! Every creature was perfect. The human characters, stories and direction just don't work. That's so sad.

And I'm always waiting for Shin Gojira to be released in France...