Thanks Thanks:  1
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Godzilla sequel (June 8, 2018)

Default Godzilla sequel (June 8, 2018)

As GODZILLA reigns over the worldwide box office. What do you do next ?
    ANNOUNCE A SEQUEL OF COURSE.
    And the natives rejoice.
    "Of course you'll have a bad impression of New York if you only focus on the pimps and the C.H.U.D.S."-Marge Simpson

Default Re: GODZILLA II/Sequel

I wonder if it will be other classic monsters or new creatures?
    I'm wondering what kind of technology the world's militaries will have developed to fight by the time the sequel rolls around?
    And will they keep it Japan and America or will we see other giant creatures from other parts of the world?

They don't have the rights to any of the other Toho monsters... yet.

So, unless they make a deal for Mothra and King Ghidorah, I would expect another new monster. Which, is kind of fine with me because we've seen the others numerous times before.

Of course, I would welcome modern, updated takes on Mothra and King Ghidorah if they were to go that route as well.
    Facebook.
    wesr @ hotmail .com

More Godzilla, less humans.
    People complain about their problems... I just eat bagels.

There's always the Pacific Rim crossover idea...'

http://collider.com/godzilla-pacific...ull-interview/
    "...by His wounds we are healed." - Isaiah 53:5
    "A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within." - Apocalypto
    Rorshach to Robert Englund..."None of the fans seem to understand, I'm not in your role, you were in mine!*_*"

Dark Lord of the Sith Freddy Krueger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypto View Post
    There's always the Pacific Rim crossover idea...'

http://collider.com/godzilla-pacific...ull-interview/
    Please God, no. I couldn't make it through the first 45 minutes of that tripe.
    "You're a disease...and I'm the cure."

I don't know, I thought it had better human characters than Godzilla did.

Still prefer Godzilla overall, but PR was probably my fav movie last year.
    "A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within." - Apocalypto
    Rorshach to Robert Englund..."None of the fans seem to understand, I'm not in your role, you were in mine!*_*"

To each their own of course. It was just cliche after cliche. The brothers team up in one of the machines, one of the brothers dies. Jaeger program goes under but the folks who built the program are going to keep fighting the monsters anyway. The surviving brother is brought back and is told by another pseudo-badass to stay out of his way.

The characterization was just so paint by the numbers. I couldn't get over it and had to turn it off (and I generally don't do that with any film).

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy Krueger View Post
    To each their own of course. It was just cliche after cliche. The brothers team up in one of the machines, one of the brothers dies. Jaeger program goes under but the folks who built the program are going to keep fighting the monsters anyway. The surviving brother is brought back and is told by another pseudo-badass to stay out of his way.

The characterization was just so paint by the numbers. I couldn't get over it and had to turn it off (and I generally don't do that with any film).
    Yeah and this film wasn't any better with the characters. Husband loses his wife in a horrible event, blames the government and alienates his son over the years until the now grown son comes across evidence that makes him believe his father but it's too late. Then spends the re st of the film trying to get home to his crying wife and fat son.

MOVIE CRIES OUT ORIGINAL HUMAN EMOTION.

Yeah, but with Godzilla it didn't feel like they were trying to go into the cliche book. Especially since Bryan Cranston rocked the house

until his early demise.

Yeah, but with Godzilla it didn't feel like they were trying to go into the cliche book. Especially since Bryan Cranston rocked the house

until his early demise.
    Ah, I disagree. I found every character to be in a cliche book.

I think the characters in Godzilla were what they needed to be, servicable. No more and no less.
    It's obvious who the star of the movie was, and they held me over fine during the incredibly awesome build up to him.

Doesn't sound like a Pacific Rim crossover has any chance of happening, and with good reason because it wouldn't make much sense--unless you had Godzilla fighting alongside the Jaegers. Okay, I'm in.

Oh, the Horror! - All Decades, All Sub-Genres!

Balls Academy - Your Alma mater for teen films, raunchy, low-brow comedies, sexploitation & coming of age dramas.
    EFilmCritic - reviews of everything else

I'd be up for Godzilla and Gypsy Danger in a handicap match against a horde of kaijus.

It was just cliche after cliche.
    Kinda the point. The movie's tongue was so firmly in cheek the whole time that I'm surprised you didn't realize.
    "Sometimes you have to do something stupid to get results!" - X-Ray
    X-Ray & Vav

I didn't think every character in Pacific Rim was a cliche anyways. Day and Perlman certainly weren't cliches in the movie, nor was the other scientist character that was Day's colleague. Granted, the main character, the female lead, and Elba's characters were all pretty bland.
    Welcome to Sonic Team. We make games I think?

Unless they're concidering parallel universes I don't see how a PACIFIC RIM/GODZILLA crossover would work. They quite clearly exist in different worlds.

Doesn't sound like a Pacific Rim crossover has any chance of happening, and with good reason because it wouldn't make much sense--unless you had Godzilla fighting alongside the Jaegers. Okay, I'm in.-The Dream Master
    Yet another reason why I think they should show more of Godzilla's dark side in the next movie. He's supposed to be a force of nature, forces of nature can be helpful AND harmful. Have Godzilla start attacking nuclear power plants to feed. He's sensed them and they're too tempting for him to resist.

Godzilla 2 will open with news footage of Godzilla blasting away some alien starships with his atomic breath. Then cut away to a story with Aaron Taylor Johnson in the army and recounting the days of the alien invasion that the military was fighting off and was almost losing until Godzilla appeared.

Then it will move along for an hour until Earth satellites discover a three headed dragon, King Ghidorah, heading their way. It's the Xilians, the aliens that were defeated in a war between Earth during events that take place off camera between this movie and the previous, and this time they've come back with King Ghidorah to help them fight off Godzilla.

In the final third act of the film, after an hour and a half Earth recounting the horror of the previous alien invasion and anticipating in the fear the second wave, the Xilians finally arrive and a fantastic fight sequence finally occurs between Godzilla and Ghidorah which is the highlight of the entire film.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Taffer View Post
    Kinda the point. The movie's tongue was so firmly in cheek the whole time that I'm surprised you didn't realize.
    Eh, it just rubbed me the wrong way. A cliché here or there, okay. But it literally was piled one on top of the other in a matter of minutes. Just couldn't enjoy it, unfortunately.

The Candy Man Deranged Psychopath Chex's Avatar

Following a worldwide opening weekend haul of $196 million, it's no surprise that Legendary Pictures and Warner Bros. Pictures have already begun developing a sequel to the just released reboot of "Godzilla".

Gareth Edwards directed the new film which could double the $379 million global gross of the less well-regarded 1998 Roland Emmerich film based on the property.

Edwards has previously talked about the film's sequel potential and indicated he would likely used the same very restrained approach adopted in the new film - keeping the monster mostly in the background as such until the last act.

Whether any of the key actors from the first film that survived will return is also unknown at this point.
    Source
    I don't know if would want Edwards to come back. At least, not if he's wanting to adopt the same exact approach he used here.
    But Jamie's character in The Fog was really easy wasn't she? Get in my truck and get in my bed - in that order.
    -Tom Atkins

It seems foolish to use that same approach again, especially considering that we know what the monster looks like now. You've revealed him, now there's no good reason to keep him in the shadows again. If anything the next movie needs MORE Godzilla.
    "The mind of the subject will desperately struggle to create memories where none exist."

Yeah, I think someone else should take the reigns the next time out. Not to say I don't like Edwards, but I really don't think you can do that with a sequel without frustrating the audience. Hell, it frustrated me THIS time.
    Facebook.
    wesr @ hotmail .com

Nutrition free since '93! Forum Staff Comfy Jeans's Avatar

Given the comparisons people have made between Godzilla and JAWS, it's kind of funny that Edwards wants to repeat the "keep the monster hidden" schtick but fans are pulling against it. I seem to recall one of the biggest complaints about JAWS 2 -- aside from the fact that another shark was hitting the same town and characters again -- was that the shark was shown too much.

It's in the way Edwards did it. He's teasing the audience and then putting blinders on them.

Whereas, Spielberg just kept the shark hidden without doing any sort of pompous "Oh yeah, you really wanna see the monster now, don't ya? Well here you goooo....noooooo! Just kidding!" four or five times.

Completely different methods of keeping the monster hidden. One frustrates. The other doesn't.
    Facebook.
    wesr @ hotmail .com

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeans View Post
    Given the comparisons people have made between Godzilla and JAWS, it's kind of funny that Edwards wants to repeat the "keep the monster hidden" schtick but fans are pulling against it. I seem to recall one of the biggest complaints about JAWS 2 -- aside from the fact that another shark was hitting the same town and characters again -- was that the shark was shown too much.
    People aren't rooting for Jaws though.