Thanks Thanks:  21
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324
Results 576 to 589 of 589

Thread: The next Friday the 13th: Reboot take 2 (January 13, 2017)

  1. #576

    Default Re: The next Friday the 13th: Reboot take 2 (January 13, 2017)

    Read the synopsis. What an overstuffed mess. Keep it simple. It's like they're trying to reinvent the wheel over there. Just keep it simple. I like it when they give Jason a little bit of backstory, a little bit of personality, little touches here & there. But they're making the same mistake that all these reboots have been making for over a decade now-
    They focuse entirely on the monster. Both the Halloween & Elm Street (and others I'm sure) remakes were obsessed with laying out all the backstory & secrets of the monsters at the expense of the heroines & other characters that we're supposed to get invested in.

    People can say that no one remembers the heroes & that the monsters are the only things keeping these franchises going, but people got plenty excited when Tommy Jarvis was revealed in the F13 game.

    If the movie becomes all about the monster, then the monster runs the risk of becoming the protagonist of the movie, & it certainly seems like that's how it was going in this script.

    I don't know how Paramount got it right for 8 movies, but suddenly no one seems to be able to recreate that magic despite having 8 solid examples to draw from.

  2. #577
    I will make it because I dream Westin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,534
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: The next Friday the 13th: Reboot take 2 (January 13, 2017)

    Yeah, I have read parts of the script; it felt like a convoluted mess. That being said, I liked the premise of the origin story. If the movie was solely based on the origin story with Elias Voorhees and Pamela and Jason, I'd have been fine with that. I think the origin story could have added more elements to the mythology of the series. I'd like to see Elias Voorhees. I think bringing back Pamela would be interesting. My main problem with the script was the pacing and the last forty minutes or so of the movie having Jason, all grown up and with the hockey mask, terrorizing campers in the present day.
    "Where the hell am I supposed to find silver bullets? K-mart?"
    --The Monster Squad

    Modern horror doesn't impress me much.
    Kindly put on your rose-tinted glasses before reading my posts.

  3. #578

    Default Re: The next Friday the 13th: Reboot take 2 (January 13, 2017)

    The thing I hate is how they keep trying to work all this occult BS into Jason's backstory. They started in Jason Goes to Hell with the Necronomicon in the Voorhees house & the magic dagger being linked to their bloodline somehow (though I guess it could be a generic dagger used against demons in general). I always wrote the Necronomicon off as set dressing that Campbell had put there for his bigTV spot.

    I like it better when Jason is just an innocent kid with physical deformities that drowned (or not) due to the negligence of the counselors. I like Pamela best when she's just a mom working at the camp when her kid drowns, & goes mad with grief & takes it out on all the people she holds respsonsible.

    Take that away and replace it with all this occult bs & it becomes a story about an evil witch giving birth to a cursed demon baby that's pure evil & needs to be killed - a job his own father takes up apparently. Suddenly the negligent counselors are doing the world a favor by letting him drown instead of contributing to his tragic origin. It's stupid & it sucks & it takes away every shred of humanity or interest in Jason.

  4. #579
    I will make it because I dream Westin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,534
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: The next Friday the 13th: Reboot take 2 (January 13, 2017)

    Yeah, personally, I happen to be one of the few fans of JGTH and I wouldn't mind a movie exploring the characters and events that JGTH added to the series.
    "Where the hell am I supposed to find silver bullets? K-mart?"
    --The Monster Squad

    Modern horror doesn't impress me much.
    Kindly put on your rose-tinted glasses before reading my posts.

  5. #580
    Not a licensed attorney Forum Staff Hoody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The Boot
    Posts
    11,687

    Default Re: The next Friday the 13th: Reboot take 2 (January 13, 2017)

    I don't envy the writers one iota. On one hand "same old same old" could be ridiculed for complacency and a cash grab. But exploring new angles or expanding the story could result in Halloween 6 or Jason Goes to Hell (for the people that DISLIKE those entries).

    Someone will be pissed, people will criticize, and there's always hope they can get it right, "the next time."


    There's also the aspect of diminishing returns. I absolutely loved Jason X and FVJ the first six or seven times I watched them. Now there are parts that are absolutely cringeworthy and I have to sometimes talk myself into viewing them for my annual marathons. But then I'll watch the first 2 three times a year. So I guess there's more comfort with me for the older ones than the newer ones.

    I would love if we could all go into it with an open mind, but I think we're predisposed to have expectations, good or bad. And since this is a site specifically for fans of this series, they are strong expectations, good or bad.

    I wish some of you could get gigs writing. I still don't want the job but I think a lot of you have untapped gifts and ideas.
    Yea Nash was defending his wife, from his son. At least no one tore a quad. - Biosynthnut v.2

  6. #581

    Default Re: The next Friday the 13th: Reboot take 2 (January 13, 2017)

    I actually do like JGTH. It's just this notion that Pamela needs to be retconned as someone that was into black magic & Jason is her Rosemary's baby that I don't like. It's like the writers feel the need to add more to the backstory to keep it fresh & interesting. IMO it only detracts.
    It's like when they added a torture dungeon into the basement of Michael Meyers' house & retconned his family into a bunch of child abusers. Absolutely terrible. What were they thinking?!

  7. #582

    Default Re: The next Friday the 13th: Reboot take 2 (January 13, 2017)

    To be fair, all that stuff in Resurrection was planted by Busta and his Dangertainment crew...and then Rob Zombie genuinely took the "tortured childhood" route in his remake. Never forget.

    Oh, the Horror! - All Decades, All Sub-Genres!

    Balls Academy - Your Alma mater for teen films, raunchy, low-brow comedies, sexploitation & coming of age dramas.
    EFilmCritic - reviews of everything else

  8. Thanks Freddy Krueger thanked for this post
  9. #583
    I will make it because I dream Westin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,534
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: The next Friday the 13th: Reboot take 2 (January 13, 2017)

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoody View Post
    But exploring new angles or expanding the story could result in Halloween 6 or Jason Goes to Hell (for the people that DISLIKE those entries).
    JGTH doesn't fall in the same category as Halloween 6, though.

    Yes, fans don't like that JGTH added layers of complexity to a series with a basic premise. That being said, JGTH is a beautifully shot movie, with a solidly written script, and with some of the best special effects the franchise has delivered.

    Halloween 6, on the other hand, is a complete mess. The theatrical version of Hellraiser: Bloodline (disowned by the director) makes more sense than Halloween 6, in my opinion.


    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Cell View Post
    I actually do like JGTH. It's just this notion that Pamela needs to be retconned as someone that was into black magic & Jason is her Rosemary's baby that I don't like.
    I dig that concept. I prefer a movie Pamela and Elias Voorhees than ANOTHER Friday the 13th movie with the same premise as the '09 remake.
    "Where the hell am I supposed to find silver bullets? K-mart?"
    --The Monster Squad

    Modern horror doesn't impress me much.
    Kindly put on your rose-tinted glasses before reading my posts.

  10. #584

    Default Re: The next Friday the 13th: Reboot take 2 (January 13, 2017)

    Quote Originally Posted by The Dream Master View Post
    To be fair, all that stuff in Resurrection was planted by Busta and his Dangertainment crew...and then Rob Zombie genuinely took the "tortured childhood" route in his remake. Never forget.
    Ooh, I did forget! Well that makes it better. Now there's the rest of the movie to deal with, namely that intro...

    Quote Originally Posted by Westin View Post
    Yes, fans don't like that JGTH added layers of complexity to a series with a basic premise.
    When you say layers of complexity, I feel like you & I are thinking of different things. You're right, it did add some complexity to the basic premise of people go into the woods to have sex & cut loose & they don't come out.
    JGTG, as a finale, gives us a main character who did go into the woods, had sex & cut loose, & DID come out. And now he's got a baby he never knew about, & he has to cast off his whole horny teen in a man's body persona & step up to protect his family. I think this is especially apparent in the scene where the 3 campers invite him to come with them with the promise of sex & no strings & he (reluctantly) turns them down so he can take care of family business. You can tell in that scene that he wants to go with them, & he regrets missing out on some action. The whole rest of the movie has him gaining maturity through a gauntlet of fire & the 2nd to final shot of the movie is (suitably) he & his new family walking into the sunset.

    I dig that concept. I prefer a movie Pamela and Elias Voorhees than ANOTHER Friday the 13th movie with the same premise as the '09 remake.
    Well to each their own. If I were to come in right now & make a Jason flick, I think I'd have him already established in the area & skip the origin story except maybe in a brief retelling by a character.
    Of course, if I were to do one, it'd be a father/son movie, with the dad teaching his son all kinds of hunting & survival skills up in the woods surrounding the lake. Then they run into Jason & have to put those skills to the test.

  11. #585
    I will make it because I dream Westin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,534
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: The next Friday the 13th: Reboot take 2 (January 13, 2017)

    Steven (JGTH) is actually my favorite male lead in the entire franchise. I like him as a character more than I like Tommy Jarvis.
    "Where the hell am I supposed to find silver bullets? K-mart?"
    --The Monster Squad

    Modern horror doesn't impress me much.
    Kindly put on your rose-tinted glasses before reading my posts.

  12. #586

    Default Re: The next Friday the 13th: Reboot take 2 (January 13, 2017)

    Quote Originally Posted by Westin View Post
    Steven (JGTH) is actually my favorite male lead in the entire franchise. I like him as a character more than I like Tommy Jarvis.
    Hell yeah!

    Tommy's cool and all, but I still can't help but think that part 6 is all his fault (and that Sheriff Garris is the true protagonist of that movie despite not being the one that killed Jason).

  13. #587

    Default Re: The next Friday the 13th: Reboot take 2 (January 13, 2017)

    One thing that I don't like is people always trying to make Elias a bad guy. Let's think outside the box a bit shall we? What if he was actually a decent person who wanted to do right by Pamela and Jason but didn't get the chance, and spent the rest of his life regretting it? He doesn't have to be a hero, but maybe he isn't a villain either.

    Also, I agree with Dead Cell. I don't think Jason and Pamela's origins need to be retconned. They work just fine the way they are. Pamela is a mother who loses her son and goes mad. Jason is a restless soul who's driven by rage and grief to rise from his grave to seek vengence on the world.

  14. Thanks Rick thanked for this post
  15. #588

    Default Re: The next Friday the 13th: Reboot take 2 (January 13, 2017)

    If it was still like the 80's, all the postponed release dates would instead have been release dates for sequels.

  16. #589
    I will make it because I dream Westin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,534
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: The next Friday the 13th: Reboot take 2 (January 13, 2017)

    If it was anything like in the 80s, they would start shooting the thing without even having a proper script... and it would turn out GREAT... just like "Nightmare on Elm Street 4" did.
    "Where the hell am I supposed to find silver bullets? K-mart?"
    --The Monster Squad

    Modern horror doesn't impress me much.
    Kindly put on your rose-tinted glasses before reading my posts.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •