Thanks Thanks:  21
Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The next Friday the 13th: Reboot take 2 (January 13, 2017)

strikes like Thunderball Forum Staff Cody's Avatar

Default The next Friday the 13th: Reboot take 2 (January 13, 2017)

As mentioned by El Rooto: ‘Friday the 13th’ Eyes ‘V/H/S’ Director David Bruckner

Genre veteran David Bruckner, who wrote and directed the “Amateur Night” segment of “V/H/S,” is in negotiations to direct the “Friday the 13th” reboot for Paramount and Platinum Dunes, TheWrap has learned.

Paramount had no comment.

Platinum Dunes principals Brad Fuller and Andrew Form are producing with Michael Bay.

While plot details aren't necessarily under wraps — expect a bunch of good-looking teenagers to die in grisly ways — it's unclear what approach Bruckner plans to take with the reboot, or how it will incorporate the Jason Voorhees/Camp Crystal Lake mythology.

It's also unclear whether “Friday the 13th” will employ a found-footage approach. If so, Bruckner would be a wise choice, as his “V/H/S” segment “Amateur Night” follows three guys who bring a mysterious girl back to their motel room, where terror strikes.

Bruckner previously co-wrote and co-directed the 2007 horror film “The Signal,” and he has also been working on the home invasion thriller “Intrusion” for producers Doug Davison and David Linde.

Paramount has already picked out the perfect release date for the “Friday the 13th” reboot — Friday, March 13, 2015.
    Life Between Frames: Filmmaking & film appreciation blog. Guest contributors welcome!

Default Re: David Bruckner directing next Friday the 13th (March 13, 2015)

I liked The Signal, so I'm intrigued.

Nutrition free since '93! Forum Staff Comfy Jeans's Avatar

I liked the Amateur Night segment, so I can get behind this. I'd still rather they do a traditional Friday the 13th film, but if it has to be found footage, then this guy is okay by me.

So has he actually been hired yet, or is he still in negotiations?

Mmmhmm, cheetos.
    People complain about their problems... I just eat bagels.

strikes like Thunderball Forum Staff Cody's Avatar

When the release date was announced, Hitfix's Drew McWeeny hinted at troubling rumors he was hearing about the concept and said

Even worse, the more I hear about this version, the less it sounds like a "Friday The 13th" movie and more like a movie that happens to be called "Friday The 13th."
    With this news, he openly says that this concept doesn't include Jason:

...this is being designed as a found footage movie, and it's an approach that Paramount's Adam Goodman has been pushing heavily while they were trying to find writers and now that they're bringing on a director.

There are a number of things I've heard about this film that make me nervous. I don't think I would call any of the "Friday the 13th" films high art of any kind, but I believe that any time you're making a film that's part of a series, you should treat that series with some respect. After all, there are audiences who are fans of that property, who keep turning out each and every time you release a new movie, and those audiences come because they expect certain things from the series.

If Paramount's going to make the film they're talking about, I want to offer a small bit of completely unsolicited but friendly advice. The last time you made a "Friday the 13th" movie without Jason Voorhees in it, it resulted in the least-liked film in the entire franchise, a movie that ultimately told the story of a really crappy ambulance driver. Please… the series did a great job of rebooting with the last movie, and Derek Mears made a great Jason. This isn't rocket science, but never underestimate the ability of people who own a franchise to completely not get what people like about it.
    Life Between Frames: Filmmaking & film appreciation blog. Guest contributors welcome!

Well, this news isn't coming directly from the studio or anyone actually involved with the production. And he called A New Beginning the least-liked movie in the entire franchise, so how trustworthy can he be?
    If Atkins was here... he'd have two chicks in one hand and a beer in the other, and I know exactly what he'd tell you. He'd say "shut the fuck up, Spanky, I'm trying to score." And it would be true. Because Atkins has faith in two things: his mustache and his cock (yet to be disproven as two separate things) and if we all live with even a quarter of that Atkinness, then we have succeeded in life...

No one protested like they did with ANB.
    Baker: "Joseph P. Brenner. What does the P stand for?"
    Kaminsky: "Pussy."

I will make it because I dream Westin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Very vague and very ambiguous...

I was guessing/hoping that they would get someone like Savini to direct it.

Wait until next year to see what this movie is about.

I would have been 1000% shocked if Savini or even anyone previously associated with the franchise directed it. This is a safe bet, but I'm even a little surprised they got anyone with this much previous experience. I was expecting total unknown. Bruckner's a rising talent, which is probably what they should go for anyway.
    If Atkins was here... he'd have two chicks in one hand and a beer in the other, and I know exactly what he'd tell you. He'd say "shut the fuck up, Spanky, I'm trying to score." And it would be true. Because Atkins has faith in two things: his mustache and his cock (yet to be disproven as two separate things) and if we all live with even a quarter of that Atkinness, then we have succeeded in life...

I will make it because I dream Westin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Natman View Post
    Bruckner's a rising talent, which is probably what they should go for anyway.
    Never saw any of Bruckner's films, but since the statement above comes from you, I feel relieved.

To be fair, I've only seen his V/H/S segment, but it was one of the segments I really enjoyed (and I didn't enjoy all of them). But he shows promise.

It would have been cool to see Savini or someone other than Sean Cunningham on board as a producer though.

I have no idea who this guy is, but this talk about not having Jason in it is seriously pissing in my Wheaties!

I liked The Signal, but his V/H/S segment wasn't one of my favorites (aside from Hannah Fierman, I found it pretty grating). I'm more concerned about all the other rumblings more than anything. Hope they don't fuck it up.

Oh, the Horror! - All Decades, All Sub-Genres!

Balls Academy - Your Alma mater for teen films, raunchy, low-brow comedies, sexploitation & coming of age dramas.
    EFilmCritic - reviews of everything else

Yet another reason not to be enthused over this. Fuck.
    "You thought it was over, it's not over, I CAME BACK, I BROUGHT MY AXE!!!!!" Cannibal Corpse

I haven't seen either of the credits this guy has, I'm just happy to finally hear news that they are pursuing a director.
    The rumours from the Hitfix article though, I'm hoping they are nothing more then rumours.
    The article is from way back in November, though so that gives some hope that things have changed and Fuller came out in January and said they basically had no idea what they are doing or where they are heading at that point.
    At this point I can't see Paramount making a Jason-less Friday the 13th, but anything is possible.
    I think it would be a huge mistake.

I don't so much care if it's Jason-less as much as I hope there's at least something that indicates that it is a Friday the 13th movie. If there's no mention to Jason, Mrs. Voorhees or Camp Crystal Lake, or if none of those things are directly involved in the plot, that's when I've wasted my time.

The series can exist without Jason (A New Beginning and The Series)... but let me just say the odds are certainly not in its favor. Continuing the series just based on the bad luck of Friday the 13th seemed like a novel idea in 1985. But now, the series is Jason. Had they really ended the series on a high note, I'd probably be more open to it, but where we left off, they suddenly canned the original series and then followed up with a "meh" reboot/remake. Following that up with another reboot kinda makes me wonder...

I love A New Beginning. A Friday the 13th without Jason can work if done right.
    _Baker's Dozen_

I'm laughing at you dog

Even though it wasn't Jason in ANB, it was still someone pretending to be him. You have to have him in it in some capacity or it isn't a Friday the 13th.

Dark Lord of the Sith Freddy Krueger's Avatar

No Jason, no dice. Let's hope that's just a rumor and Paramount isn't indeed going to just jerk us around.
    "You're a disease...and I'm the cure."

Maybe I should elaborate. A Friday the 13th without Jason as the killer/focal point could still work. I know some won't agree and that's understandable.
    _Baker's Dozen_

I'm laughing at you dog

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Maybe I should elaborate. A Friday the 13th without Jason as the killer/focal point could still work. I know some won't agree and that's understandable.
    This (or something similar) would be the only way I could see something like that working: make 1-4 real events (maybe even 5) and have everything after that in the series "movies" within the movies. Have Jason as a real, live, well known mass murderer, whom is assumed to be murdered by Tommy Jarvis at the end of TFC. Retcon this to have "rumors" that they never found the body, etc. Have some copycat commit murders under the guise of Jason only to have the real deal show up at the end for the final showdown. Jason has to be in it.

Cheer up, guys.

Maybe it's really a sequel?

Facebook.
    wesr @ hotmail .com

I believe the old saying "Wish in one hand and shit in the other, see which one gets full first." comes to mind.
    Knock, knock! Who's there? DRAGON COCK!"

I would be amazed if they didn't have Jason in it. Even the found footage deal would surprise me, but I wouldn't put it past them to do that. If they did go through with it (not having Jason), I would at least give Paramount credit for having the balls to do something different, even though it would almost be universally panned.
    Welcome to Sonic Team. We make games I think?