Thanks Thanks:  1
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Marvel/Netflix The Defenders series event (DD, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones)

strikes like Thunderball Forum Staff Cody's Avatar

Default Marvel/Netflix The Defenders series event (DD, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones)

Marvel and Netflix Team on Four Series Leading Up to The Defenders

The Walt Disney Co. and Netflix Inc. today announced an unprecedented deal for Marvel TV to bring multiple original series of live-action adventures of four of Marvel's most popular characters exclusively to the world's leading Internet TV Network beginning in 2015.

This pioneering agreement calls for Marvel to develop four serialized programs leading to a miniseries programming event.

Led by a series focused on "Daredevil," followed by "Jessica Jones," "Iron Fist" and "Luke Cage," the epic will unfold over multiple years of original programming, taking Netflix members deep into the gritty world of heroes and villains of Hell's Kitchen, New York. Netflix has committed to a minimum of four, thirteen episodes series and a culminating Marvel's "The Defenders" mini-series event that reimagines a dream team of self-sacrificing, heroic characters.

Produced by Marvel Television in association with ABC Television Studios, this groundbreaking deal is Marvel's most ambitious foray yet into live-action TV storytelling.

"This deal is unparalleled in its scope and size, and reinforces our commitment to deliver Marvel's brand, content and characters across all platforms of storytelling. Netflix offers an incredible platform for the kind of rich storytelling that is Marvel's specialty," said Alan Fine, President of Marvel Entertainment. "This serialized epic expands the narrative possibilities of on-demand television and gives fans the flexibility to immerse themselves how and when they want in what's sure to be a thrilling and engaging adventure."

"Marvel's movies, such as 'Iron Man' and Marvel's 'The Avengers', are huge favorites on our service around the world. Like Disney, Marvel is a known and loved brand that travels," said Netflix Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos. "With 'House of Cards' and our other original series, we have pioneered new approaches to storytelling and to global distribution and we're thrilled to be working with Disney and Marvel to take our brand of television to new levels with a creative project of this magnitude."
    I am very hyped for this. That's a cool bunch of characters, it's going to be fun watching this come together.
    Last edited by Cody; 11-07-2013 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Double Post Merged
    Life Between Frames: Filmmaking & film appreciation blog. Guest contributors welcome!

Default Re: Marvel/Netflix The Defenders series event (DD, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Jessica Jone

At least it would be better than "Zombieland".
    Baker: "Joseph P. Brenner. What does the P stand for?"
    Kaminsky: "Pussy."

Default Re: Marvel/Netflix The Defenders series event (DD, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Jessica Jone

[YT="My reaction"]ZMcamicKJKk[/YT]
    "Sometimes you have to do something stupid to get results!" - X-Ray
    X-Ray & Vav

Disney Chairman comments

Iger said that due to the overwhelming amount of characters in Marvel's wheelhouse, it's simply not possible to put them all on the big screen. He then confirmed that the characters announced yesterday as having their own series on Netflix, including Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and Jessica Jones, are "not among the most popular" and were likely never going to be in a feature film anyway. Iger then added that should their respective series be well received on the Netflix platform, however, feature films for the individual characters aren't out of the question.
    Life Between Frames: Filmmaking & film appreciation blog. Guest contributors welcome!

Characters that aren't the most popular can still do well on the big screen and it leaves room for some artistic licence, Blade 1 and 2 we're great and from what I read was pretty different from the comics.
    I also was under the impression that Dare Devil was pretty popular.

It's a weird thing to say considering that two of Marvel's least-known properties (Ant-Man and Guardians of the Galaxy) are making it to the big screen in live adaptations.
    If Atkins was here... he'd have two chicks in one hand and a beer in the other, and I know exactly what he'd tell you. He'd say "shut the fuck up, Spanky, I'm trying to score." And it would be true. Because Atkins has faith in two things: his mustache and his cock (yet to be disproven as two separate things) and if we all live with even a quarter of that Atkinness, then we have succeeded in life...

‘Daredevil’ Series to Be Written by Drew Goddard

Drew Goddard is in negotiations to write the upcoming “Daredevil” series for Netflix and Disney, an individual with knowledge of the project has told TheWrap.

A representative for Goddard had no comment, while representatives for Netflix and Marvel did not respond to repeated requests for comment.

Goddard previously served as a writer and producer on the hit ABC series “Lost” and “Alias,” as well as a writer on “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” and “Angel.” He wrote this year’s Brad Pitt zombie epic “World War Z,” and directed the horror movie “The Cabin in the Woods,” which he also co-wrote with Marvel maestro Joss Whedon.

“Daredevil” follows blind superhero Matt Murdock, who was previously portrayed by Ben Affleck in a 2003 movie directed by Mark Steven Johnson.

As recently reported, the Walt Disney Co. and Netflix are teaming up for original live-action series based on Marvel characters Daredevil, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones and Iron Fist. The deal also includes a miniseries about a team of superheroes called the Defenders.

The new series will kick off next year, with Marvel Television producing in association with ABC Television Studios.

Goddard is a self-professed “Daredevil” buff whose interest in the character is well known. “You’re talking to a guy who had quotes from Daredevil painted on his wall while growing up,” Goddard told Collider earlier this year. “Even when I was 18, I still had the blood red door with the, ‘I have shown him that a man without hope is a man without fear.’ That was what I loved and so it’s the sort of thing that if we can find the right project, I would love to do it.”

Goddard, who is currently developing the sci-fi movie “The Martian” for 20th Century Fox, is represented by UTA.
    Melissa Rosenberg to write and produce Jessica Jones

Yesterday we learned Drew Goddard will be writing the scripts for Marvel/Netflix's Daredevil series, and now we know how will be writing for the Jessica Jones series. No one from Marvel has confirmed it (yet), but Deadline is reporting that Melissa Rosenberg will write and executive produce the series. Rosenberg is probably best known for adapting the Twilight books for the big screen, but she has also done script work for several television series, including Dexter, Birds of Prey, and The O.C.

A Jessica Jones series was in the works three years ago for ABC, and Melissa Rosenberg was attached to that as well. But will she be using any of her material from that show for Netflix's new series? Probably not: the site says the series is "undergoing redevelopment in its move to Netflix."

Drew Goddard is going to knock this son of a bitch right out of the park.
    If Atkins was here... he'd have two chicks in one hand and a beer in the other, and I know exactly what he'd tell you. He'd say "shut the fuck up, Spanky, I'm trying to score." And it would be true. Because Atkins has faith in two things: his mustache and his cock (yet to be disproven as two separate things) and if we all live with even a quarter of that Atkinness, then we have succeeded in life...

While I've never been a big comic book guy and prefer DC's characters to Marvel's, Disney is schooling Warner Brothers in setting up their universe. The way they're handling this is pretty amazing. I still need to catch up on Agents of SHIELD and see Thor, but for someone who's never read a single Marvel comic, I'm loving this.

Although I thought Daredevil was pretty well-known, I can't imagine Disney trying so soon for a theatrical feature after the bad Ben Affleck movie, but hell, that first Hulk movie was atrocious, too, and they rebooted that. Still, looking forward to seeing a series on some of the lesser-known characters. Really wish they could get their rights back to Spider-Man and the X-Men for films.

All of Marvel's Netflix series to be filmed in New York

Governor Andrew M. Cuomo, The Walt Disney Company, Marvel and Netflix Inc. today announced that Marvel’s landmark live-action television series, which will bring Marvel’s ‘flawed heroes of Hell’s Kitchen’ characters to Netflix, the world’s leading Internet TV network, will principally film in New York State. Produced by Marvel Television, in association with ABC Television Studios, this groundbreaking series is Marvel’s most ambitious foray yet into live-action television storytelling and represents the largest film or television production project commitment in New York State history.

Filming is set to begin in the Summer 2014 and will create at least three thousand jobs in New York State including up to 400 full time jobs. The project will include nearly 60 one-hour episodes focused on the 4 Defenders characters: Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Iron Fist.

“New York is where the entertainment industry started, and this unprecedented commitment from Disney and Marvel is further evidence that we’re bringing it back bigger and better than ever before,” said Governor Cuomo. “And when the entertainment industry thrives, it fuels dozens of other industries and businesses. The competition for these projects is fierce and Disney could have chosen to film these shows anywhere, but they knew that shooting in New York means getting to work with the best in world. These shows bring New York’s superheroes home where they belong – along with hundreds of jobs and millions of dollars in new business.”

“Since 2008 Disney has directly contributed almost half a billion dollars to New York’s economy through television and film production, along with approximately 9,000 jobs for New Yorkers,” said Robert A. Iger, Chairman and CEO, The Walt Disney Company. “The Governor’s policies make this great state a more affordable and attractive location, opening the door for even greater economic investment and job creation for New Yorkers. Our Marvel series for Netflix will inject millions directly into the local economy and create hundreds of new jobs.”

“We thank the Governor and the great state of New York for helping us create the ultimate backdrop to this epic series. Setting our production in New York City truly underscores the authenticity and excitement we plan to bring to The Defenders and their ‘flawed heroes of Hell’s Kitchen’ stories,” said Alan Fine, President, Marvel Entertainment.

Last November, Disney and Netflix announced an unprecedented deal for Marvel TV to bring multiple original series of live-action adventures of four of Marvel's most popular characters exclusively to the world's leading Internet TV Network beginning in 2015. This pioneering agreement calls for Marvel to develop four serialized programs totaling 52 one-hour episodes culminating in a four to eight episode mini-series programming event. Led by a series focused on "Daredevil," followed by "Jessica Jones," "Iron Fist" and "Luke Cage," the epic will unfold over multiple years of original programming, taking viewers deep into the gritty world of heroes and villains of Hell's Kitchen, New York. Netflix has committed to a minimum of four, thirteen episodes series and a mini-series event in which the Marvel characters from the first four series team up as "The Defenders," much like “The Avengers.”

This new original TV deal follows last year's landmark movie distribution deal through which, beginning with 2016 theatrically released feature films, Netflix will be the exclusive U.S. subscription television service for first-run, live-action and animated movies from the Walt Disney Studios, including titles from Disney, Walt Disney Animation Studios, Pixar Animation Studios, Marvel Studios, Disneynature and Lucasfilm.

"The Defenders are classic New York characters; smart, resourceful and tough enough to always stand up for what's right," said Ted Sarandos, Netflix Chief Content Officer. "We're delighted they're coming to life on their home turf thanks to Governor Cuomo and his team."

It only makes sense to film in NYC and not use Toronto or Vancouver as a double.
    Baker: "Joseph P. Brenner. What does the P stand for?"
    Kaminsky: "Pussy."

After writing the first two episodes, Drew Goddard departed Daredevil to focus on making the Sinister Six movie. Spartacus's Steven S. DeKnight took over as showrunner.

Charlie Cox of Boardwalk Empire has been cast as Matt Murdock/Daredevil, and he'll be going up against Vincent D'Onofrio as Wilson Fisk, The Kingpin.

I forgot about this thread. Did a search of "Daredevil" and nothing came up but the reboot movie.
    Facebook.
    wesr @ hotmail .com

Rosario Dawson Joins Marvel's Daredevil

Dawson will, according to the press release, play "a dedicated young woman whose quest to heal the wounds of Hell's Kitchen brings Matt Murdock unexpectedly crashing into her life, while her own journey forever alters the course of his battle against the injustices of this broken city."

Although its purely speculative at this point, that character description does fit the Marvel Comics character "Night Nurse," who was reintroduced to the Marvel Universe during Brian Michael Bendis' run on "Daredevil" in 2004. The character also played a major part in Brian K. Vaughan's "Doctor Strange" miniseries in 2006.

"Rosario Dawson is one the most charismatic, talented and powerful actresses in Hollywood, so she was always at the top of our list for 'Marvel's Daredevil,'" said Jeph Loeb, Marvel's Head of Television. "Her role in the series is absolutely critical to Matt Murdock's journey to become the hero we know as Daredevil."

Been trying to figure out who she's playing all morning.

More Daredevil casting: Deborah Ann Woll is Karen Page, Elden Henson is Foggy Nelson, and Peter Shinkoda is some dude named Hachiro.

More Daredevil actors and characters

Bob Gunton as Leland Owlsely (better known as The Owl), Vondie Curtis Hall as reporter Ben Urich, and Ayelet Zurer as Vanessa, the woman who, in the comics, goes on to become Vanessa Fisk. They’ve also revealed that Rosario Dawson will be playing none other than Claire Temple, Marvel’s Night Nurse!
    At the link is a look at Matt Murdock, not in the final Daredevil costume but in the one he'll be starting out with.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    At the link is a look at Matt Murdock, not in the final Daredevil costume but in the one he'll be starting out with.
    Looks like a similar costume to what was worn in The Trial of the Incredible Hulk.
    I was actually at Woodstock. That was a weird gig. I fed off a flower-person, and I spent the next six hours watching my hand move
    -Spike

It really does look almost exactly like Trial. It's actually directly taken from Frank Miller and John Romita Jr's run which retold Daredevil's origin. It's the 'trial suit' sort of, what he puts on before the full-fledged costume.

Krysten Ritter, Alexandra Daddario, Teresa Palmer, and Jessica De Gouw have been invited to test for the role of Jessica Jones.

I also heard two names mentioned as being in consideration for the male lead Luke Cage: Crisis‘ Lance Gross and The Good Wife and The Following‘s Mike Colter. Cage is designed to appear in 6-7 episodes of Jessica Jones and then topline his own series

While I think DareDevil has his own "subverse" enough wide for his own TV show, I think Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Iron Fist share the same "subverse" and should be in the same TV show.

If I have read well, the announcement of a "Defenders" mini-series at the end of the first 13-episode season of each character could work well as the reunification of the 4 characters in the same TV show after their "solo" introduction.

I have to say I'm kinda afraid of 5 Marvel TV shows at the same time during maybe 5 or 7 years. (those 4 + Agents of SHIELD)

BUT maybe these maxi-series won't be broadcast at the same time but more 13 + 13 + 13 + 13 = 52 weeks = 1 year of TV show. First DD during 13 weeks (the most famous hero between the 4), with the introduction of Jessica Jones to the main audience (as a journalist ? a P.D. ?) in several episodes of DD. Then Jessica Jones during 13 weeks, with the introduction of Luke Cage in several episodes (what is already announced) with cameos of DD. Then Luke Cage during 13 weeks, with cameos of DD and Jessica Jones, and the introduction of Iron Fist. Then Iron Fist during 13 weeks, with cameos of DD, JJ and Luke Cage, leading every of them to that Defenders mini-series.

Then, for the second season, let another bunch of small characters do the same 13+13+13+13=1 year of stories set in the same "subverse". (For an example, a "west coast avengers" instead of "defenders" for the final mini-series of season 2 with the 4 series about lesser-known characters of the Avengers, like Manta Ray or the Original Human Torch resurrected from the 40s into 2016 or The Black Knight or anyone else who was an Avenger at some point).

Just a way for not getting bored with the characters after 5 years of neverending stories. 13 episodes "solo" adventures with several cameos to introduce the next series and keep the previous characters here and there. Also a way to hire some high-profile actors and actresses for just 13 episodes and a few cameo instead of blocking them for 5 years which would maybe make it harder to hire them at first place.

So 4 series, but in reality only one with episodes every week during 1 year. Maybe some sharing the same week for the transition between 2 series. And then the 3rd season would return to 3 heroes of the 1st season plus a fourth new one. Then the fourth season would choose 2 or 3 heroes from the 1st and 2nd season and add again 1 or 2 new hero. With a high turnover which was one of the basis of the Avengers comic books, making a place on the screen for every Marvel character not at Fox or Sony, even for only 13 episodes and a few cameos.

(Obviously the ratings of each 13-episode series would be a good way to choose the heroes for seasons 3 and 4 and 13 and 20 and 47 and.... well, as long as Marvel works.)

Just some thoughts.
    Last edited by French Friday; 11-21-2014 at 09:33 PM.

With these being on Netflix, it's not likely to be weekly episodes. Chances are all 13 episodes of their seasons will be posted at the same time. Netflix tends to do that, playing to the people who like to binge watch.

So if Daredevil's premiere date was tomorrow, all 13 episodes would be on there tomorrow. If Jessica Jones's premiere date was next Saturday, all 13 episodes of Jessica Jones would be online next Saturday. Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    With these being on Netflix, it's not likely to be weekly episodes. Chances are all 13 episodes of their seasons will be posted at the same time. Netflix tends to do that, playing to the people who like to binge watch.

So if Daredevil's premiere date was tomorrow, all 13 episodes would be on there tomorrow. If Jessica Jones's premiere date was next Saturday, all 13 episodes of Jessica Jones would be online next Saturday. Etc.
    Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks for the information. Kinda weird but I can understand the point. Easier to follow a series that way, without being forced to be there the same hour each week during 13 weeks. This way, no episode could be missed.

Well, my idea could always work that way, with one series released each week and the mini-series the 5th week. Or the 5th month, whatever they decide.

Well, wait and see.

Facebook.
    wesr @ hotmail .com

Holy fuck that's some good casting.